Tazmanian Duster

-

nakabrd

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to FAB. Can someone tell me if there was a Tazmanian Duster Edition built in '70 or '71? If so, can you provide any details. Thanks, Jeff

Taz, eh?
I celebrated my 17th BD in 1970, And was on the prowl for my 1st Mopar. If there would have been a Tazmanian Duster 340, I woulda jumped all over that.There were the Demon 340s and the Duster340s the Twister318s and the Sizzler318s, and the HangTens,but no Taz;at least not in Winnipeg. So I ended up with a Swinger 340 in PantherPink. Wahoo! Cant remember ever hearing of a TD. I know I saw a Taz decal though, on a sport back of the day.Lemme think...what was that model name? Hmmm

Because of the Roadrunner and coyote widely used on Mopars back in the day I'm sure this common Duster emblem is likely been misconstrued as the Tasmanian devil? This is just my theory....View attachment RVMPDd1.jpg

They actual tried to get the right to use Taz as the logo for the Duster but Warner Bro's wouldn't let em even though they let em use Wiley and roadrunner, I'm guessing WB want more for the rights than plymouth wanted to pay for em.

I really wish they would've do this idea.

"In planning, the Duster 340 was to be a fectory sleeper. In a world of striped muscle, the 340 would have only a telephone booth graphic on each fender, and one on the tail panel. The booth door would be open slightly with the letters CK underneath. Calvin Klein Duster, you ask?! No, Clark Kent, AKA Superman... This would only be obvious when opening the hood, where could be found a 3 by 3 foot "S" in red and yellow on the insulation pad. This idea was blown right out the sky by Chrysler-Plymouth Division assistant general manager R.K.Brown, who saw it as the worst idea ever. I kinda like it."

I really wish they would've do this idea.

"In planning, the Duster 340 was to be a fectory sleeper. In a world of striped muscle, the 340 would have only a telephone booth graphic on each fender, and one on the tail panel. The booth door would be open slightly with the letters CK underneath. Calvin Klein Duster, you ask?! No, Clark Kent, AKA Superman... This would only be obvious when opening the hood, where could be found a 3 by 3 foot "S" in red and yellow on the insulation pad. This idea was blown right out the sky by Chrysler-Plymouth Division assistant general manager R.K.Brown, who saw it as the worst idea ever. I kinda like it."

A 'CK' Duster would have been great - I have read this story and the problems to get the rights for Taz in an article about Dusters in Collectible Automobiles years ago. Good article...

Btw:
The Dust Swirl was a quite good and nice solution..taz in disguise

Ya Boltmopar. That's the car. I was talking to the owner and he's convinced (by the guy he bought it from) that it was a Tazmanian Duster. I had never heard of one but I'm not an A-body guy so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Thanks for all the replies.

It has no (R) on the stickers. Obviously a fraudulent "Taz" car.

As a kid, I saw the Duster Twister and assumed that was supposed to be Taz since I had seen the Roadrunner on cars too.

Ya Boltmopar. That's the car. I was talking to the owner and he's convinced (by the guy he bought it from) that it was a Tazmanian Duster. I had never heard of one but I'm not an A-body guy so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah I looked at the at about a month ago when he was still asking close to 7k for it, at the time I was looking for a 340 duster, it is a four speed car so it may be worth it at 5k

Maybe the car came from Tasmania Australia was then converted to left had drive therfore making it a Tasmanian Duster which would then make it a Valiant being australian.

-
Back