TCI outlaw shifter cable routing

-

The Furnace

Reaction score
I have a 1976 dodge dart sport with a 360 LA and 727 tranny. my question is what length cable and how did you route your cable. I have stock manifolds and the guys at the muffler shop apparently didnt check to make sure the cable was clear from the exhaust manifold. and fried my cable housing, any pictures would help. I routed as shown in the directions that came with the outlaw shifter but the cable was 5 feet long and looped towards the front of the tranny and kind of behind the starter is there a better way?

wait for someone to chime in on what to use as an insulator to keep it from melting

if I remember correctly some members used 5/8th breather hose, or fuel line
they slid that over the shifter cable and secured it with the little clamps to keep it from sliding

BUT I'm not sure on the size and type of line (I was actually planning on posting a question on this myself since I will be installing a ratchet shifter soon, but this will work just as well)

the 4 ft cable usually fit the best.....on the 5 ft cables I usually wrap them just in case

Turbo action offers shifters that have the cable connecting to the gearbox from the rear. I think that's a better way to go, but obviously not in your situation. There are shorter cables and those thin grey cables seem to give more trouble than the thicker red ones you can buy.

I agree with the 4 foot cable and going behind the starter then maybe adding an insulator just in case. wasnt sure if the four foot cable would be long enough but my shift is mounted so when in the park position its pretty close to the air vents right under the ash tray as i have a bench seat. Also I noticed on the block of my 360 there is a bolt hole probably for mounting the clip that holds the clip for the tranny lines from the factory. I think if I put a line holder there it would help keep even the 5 foot cable clear by at least two or three inches. The moral of the story here is check your cable clearance real good or fork out 50 bucks!!!

-
Back