TCI Transmission is bad

-
If you want a good reliable Transmission, build it by yourself!
Maybe with help from a knowledge Guy!

I build Transmissions since 3 Years now and build all kinds af Trannys.
No customer broke one, and no damage!

I had a 727 Performance Tranny for rebuild. Trans from B&M.
That was really close to deception!

That is a Performance Trans if you believe them!
It was not inside, what was promised on their description! just 3 pinion Planetarys insted of 4- pinion as descriped.
Just 4 Clutches and 3 instead of 5-4...
I was so disappointed from them.

Build it by yourself with good Parts from A&A and you will be happy for the next 15 Years!!

Whew, i just finished reading all these posts. I rebuilt my first 904 in 1980. I had never done a trans before so I was lucky it worked. I had no idea what anything was (pre-internet), but a friend bought the parts and asked me to give it a shot. I figured wth. So, I don't know how many Torkflites I've done since then, everything from slant 904 to bb 727 , shift kits, bolt in sprags...lotsa bench jobs. One thing I do that I've never heard of any other rebuilder doing is packing the pump gears with grease so the the center gear stays centered and assemble the pump over a converter so it's ready to slide in the converter. Otherwise that center gear will flop around and the converter will never go in. This business of "clicking and clunking" the converter is rubbish. Measure how far back it is from the front of the bell and how far back the flex is from the block. Figure 1/8" clearance. Those pics of the back of the pump ate out looks to me like the converter wasn't all the way in the pump engaged correctly. That pushes the center gear into the back of the pump or breaks out the tangs. I don't get how some places figure they can assemble a trans and not air check it along the way. And these prices are flooring me. I do stock rebuilds for three hundred fifty dollars here in Hemet, Ca. And that even inckudes parts. I guess I'm gonna hafta raise my price. I just did a small block 727 and even furnished a core for six fifty; with a bolt in sprag and rv type Transgo shift kit. Never again on that one. That business of shipping transmissions for hundreds and even thousands of miles is for the birds. You hit a glitch and you're on your own. I stand behind mine forever. If dude messes it up it'll cost him, but I want it fixed; problems solved. Rebuild a trans in 45 mins? Gimme a break. Sounds like a leaker to me. It takes hours just to replace all those seals inside and out. Sorry, couldn't help it. I read posts on here where it was the builder's fault, but I also read many posts where I suspected the installation was sloppy. People think they can just jam it up in there like a stickshift. Pump gets toasted and they wanna start doing pressure checks...Jeeze. I love 727's; easy to work on and reliable like nothing out there, but you gotta know a few automatic transmission basics or it''s all turn to scrap metal in a heartbeat. I know of a few guys who rebuild their own and they worked, but there are so many details that if you overlook even one, it won't work. Not like a motor; it'll run unless it's really messed up, but a trans is unforgiving as all get out. The worst thing on a 727 is direct drum wobble. Ya gotta snug up that end play and replace that bushing...but it's still gonna wobble some. I know specs call for .040 endplay, but that's too loose for me. Here in the desert a trans can sit in the hot sun and gain .020. Those cases swell with the heat quite a bit. A big problem with diagnosing is that several different things can cause the same symptoms. I read all the complaints on this thread, and my heart goes out to some, but it's a headbanger when you don't even know if it was assembled correctly. I only actually read one complaint that I would take a stab at with a fair amount of certainty. Most sound like it's time to take everything apart and start checking every little thing; like what should've been done from the gitgo. Transmissions are sorta tuff to just dabble in once in a while. I say either dive in with both feet or let somebody else do it. Less headache, really. Didn't mean to write a novel.

This come with cliff notes?

Hi Guys.
I just spent the best part of a rainy Sunday reading thru this entire thread & I have to say that I am stunned that TCI have let their reputation go down the drain.
In autumn of 2002 I had trouble with a C4 trans that needed an overhaul. It turned out that, trying to press the Reverse/High clutch drum bushing in, I cracked the drum around the bushing seat. :banghead::banghead::banghead:. Now the fun starts!! Here I am in the middle of Germany with a C4 in a million pieces on the workbench, a cracked front drum & not a clue what to do next. A new drum in Germany was as rare as rocking horse sh**, so that evening, allowing for the time difference I called TCI. The Tech I spoke to was a very knowledgeable guy & told me that I had tried to press the '70 up bushing into a 64 - 69 drum. The difference in the o.d. of the bushing is 0.7 mm. So difficult to see without actually measuring.
Long story short, TCI rushed me a good used front drum with a new bushing already pressed in.
Get this. At no charge & they even covered express shipping to Germany!! I'm still running that drum in my C4 today. So I only have praise for TCI. But that was 2002!
Too bad those days are long gone.

I think it is a sign of the times. In a cut throat world of low balling and beating the other guys price, something has to give and it is usually customer service. Maybe yours was an exception? Or you got a hold of a good ole guy. Or maybe it was because it was 14 years ago? Glad it worked out for you.

Hi Guys.
I just spent the best part of a rainy Sunday reading thru this entire thread & I have to say that I am stunned that TCI have let their reputation go down the drain.
In autumn of 2002 I had trouble with a C4 trans that needed an overhaul. It turned out that, trying to press the Reverse/High clutch drum bushing in, I cracked the drum around the bushing seat. :banghead::banghead::banghead:. Now the fun starts!! Here I am in the middle of Germany with a C4 in a million pieces on the workbench, a cracked front drum & not a clue what to do next. A new drum in Germany was as rare as rocking horse sh**, so that evening, allowing for the time difference I called TCI. The Tech I spoke to was a very knowledgeable guy & told me that I had tried to press the '70 up bushing into a 64 - 69 drum. The difference in the o.d. of the bushing is 0.7 mm. So difficult to see without actually measuring.
Long story short, TCI rushed me a good used front drum with a new bushing already pressed in.
Get this. At no charge & they even covered express shipping to Germany!! I'm still running that drum in my C4 today. So I only have praise for TCI. But that was 2002!
Too bad those days are long gone.

I've got to follow up on a post I made on 6/5/2013. I must retract any statement I made about the poor quality of the TCI built Torqueflite transmission I installed in my 1965 Dodge Coronet.I just got it sorted out last month.I became ill not long after I first posted about my problem and it's taken a while to get in the swing of playing with the car again.I found a local man who knows his way around a Torqueflite,which is getting rare.He took on the project and discovered a couple of things wrong.One major problem was a bent driveshaft.That was my fault for denying and not checking it.That made a nasty vibration as you can imagine,but had nothing to do with the 3rd gear problem. I had become worn out and didn't keep trying to adjust the Lokar cable kickdown system.The transmission man told me he played with it...(after having a new driveshaft made)...and after having to cut a bit more off the cable housing to get enough adjustment,boom...third gear! Fellas...it is now a pleasure to drive.Very precise and firm shifts and also tame enough that it works fine in traffic.It was all my fault and none attributed to TCI.Thank everyone who commented and encouraged.Now...on to paint.

Since this was started 5 years ago...hope he has it fixed by now...lol

$850 to build a 727 is way too much. But that's just my 2 cents worth. Like the other guy said. They aren't hard to build. Can replace all seals, bands, clutches, Steels and bushings for about $150 in parts. I build them for all the mopar drag racers around here. If i can help? Let me know. Good luck!
i know this is an old thread hopefully you are still around....if so reply back i was wondering if yoiu could answer a few questions as to what parts to use in a 500 hp 904 trans ...if thats possible? thanks in advanbsce

$850 to build a 727 is way too much. But that's just my 2 cents worth. Like the other guy said. They aren't hard to build. Can replace all seals, bands, clutches, Steels and bushings for about $150 in parts. I build them for all the mopar drag racers around here. If i can help? Let me know. Good luck!
their good at chevy stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back