TD Canada Trust Bank stole from me - what would you do?

-
if you don't get any satisfaction, maybe try reporting it to their boss, the Auditor General's Office

http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/English/parl_oag_201010_05_e_34288.html

Wow! That's likened to shooting a flea with a cannon. Start locally and bulid up. Speak to the branch manager, his/her boss, the bank's office of the president. One step at a time.

Stop hateing!!!!

This and all banks want to fix issues as this. Be positive and work with them. You'll be surprised as to the outcome, that they want yor business!

Bernieca, you raise an important point. Effective consumer-complaining is different in Canada than it is in the States. The culture and standards and norms and expectations and manners are different up here.

Thing is, this is not a branch-related matter. This is TD Visa, which is centrally run out of Ontario. You might be able to go in a TD branch and make a payment on your TD Visa, but that's about all you can do. Any kind of interaction between the customer and the company has to be handled by phone to the central office (or one of their call centres, wherever they all might be).

I do have in mind to see what the bank's office of the President has to say on the matter. Got a call from TD's customer relations centre today (which I recorded…for quality purposes, of course!) wherein I was advised they've referred the matter of interest to the regional office for my area, who will be in touch within the next couple of days. We'll see how (and if) that goes.

Trust me the bank was not stealing from a customer.

Yeah, they were. Maybe not with malicious intent to steal, but they were taking money that didn't belong to them, and I just don't see any way to get around defining that as theft.

Wow! That's likened to shooting a flea with a cannon. Start locally and bulid up. Speak to the branch manager, his/her boss, the bank's office of the president. One step at a time.

Stop hateing!!!!

This and all banks want to fix issues as this. Be positive and work with them. You'll be surprised as to the outcome, that they want yor business!

like I said "If you don't get any satisfaction"

you sound like you work in a bank call centre.

Banks vastly over-step their bounds and help themselves to other peoples money on a regular basis, hoping their customers, unlike Dan, won't catch on, or will roll over quietly if they do catch on. (seriously, a service charge for me to put my money IN your bank, and you'll pay me .5% interest...although not actually theft, like in Dan's case)

Your reaction tells me that the AG's office would be an effective place to lodge a complaint. Although, I re-read your post and the ombudsman sounds like it might not be a bad idea either

they did it on purpose. not as policy but because somebody there gets a bonus for signing people up. so they do it all the time and if they get caught, not too often, oh well.
i don't know if it's worth too much of your time getting the interest they owe you, considering current rates, but at least you got your $$ back without too much hassle.

good luck Dan

edit:
Trust me the bank was not stealing from a customer. Somewhere along the way an employee decided that Dan was a good insurance prospect and obvisously decided to include insurance on his line credit/credit card without his knowledge or authorization. This employee has goals and targets, including one for insurance sales. They took advantage of the situstion and added insurance to an account that Dan did not authorize and got a good or better raise for this dishonest conduct.
this is what i get for reading everything after i post. you took the long way to get there but it sounds like you think this is fraud too.
the bank can more than likely find out who did this by pulling all the computer logs from the time this started. they won't. they have no interest in firing whoever did this, they prefer to not see things that make the bottom end look better, if they don't need to. if they made a few examples it would stop. if they actually found out how often it happens, they'd go broke refunding accounts

I had a similar issue with WellsFargo. One month I was like $15 short on my bank statement than what I had in my check book. Another month went by and it was like $20. The next month, $15 again. I made it a point to go back through all of my statements and start from the beginning, then check my books over. Somewhere the bank statements were losing $15-$20 a month!!

I made it A POINT to keep a scrutinizing track over my books and bank statements....still the same....$15-$20 a month...no more/no less.

At the end of it, I took my statements and check book up to the local branch and demanded to speak with the manager, which ended up being a waste of time.

I explained everything to her in great detail 2x over and showed her what was up and she was like, "Well, you're right something doesn't add up, however, you need to have an outside CPA go through it to make sure something is up, then we'll see what we can do."

Of course I can't afford that....and she knowing my bank account, she knew that as well.

I ended up switching to a Credit Union.....no problems since.

Dan, I'm happy to hear they're making you whole on this one. I wouldn't think anyone would be entitled to more than they were out, however. I would move my money to another institution. You're right they were stealing & I wouldn't do business there any longer. But I'm not one to make a public outcry, I'm more of the take my money elswhere type.

In another post to this thread I alluded to the fact I was a a banker for over 36 years. Trust me the bank was not stealing from a customer. Somewhere along the way an employee decided that Dan was a good insurance prospect and obvisously decided to include insurance on his line credit/credit card without his knowledge or authorization. This employee has goals and targets, including one for insurance sales. They took advantage of the situstion and added insurance to an account that Dan did not authorize and got a good or better raise for this dishonest conduct. Banks do not condone this behaviour and fire people for a breach of conduct. That is what this is. The bank want's and will do right by Dan. Give them a chance. Things can be made right and by learning from mistakes they can put proper controls and training in place to avoid such issues in the future.

Dan deserves restitution and the TD Bank, given the chance will do right by him. It happens in most business, give them a chance,

As an American that has some experience with TD bank Canada (investment property in Port Carling and Toronto) I can say they have been thus far a great bank to do business with. In fact, comparing with several American banks they give better service and their reps seem much more customer service oriented and genuinely concerned about how they treat their clients. I'm sure they will make things right by you. Actually, All experiences with TD have been beyond my expectations.

As for various building departments, dept of MNR, getting hunting lisc, guns, taxes and the much outdated monopoly of the LCBO, well don't get me started...Lol I saw a fellow get a ticket for pretend fishing as he was practice casting with a plug off his dock. He didn't have his lisc on him. No hooks, no bait, just a plug. MNR said he was emulating fishing. Big ticket..... Note fellow Americans, they have a thing called the ride program in Ontario. .05 is the legal limit for blood alcohol and they pull you over at check points for no reason, even in the middel of the day. take a cab or public tranport as they have a great system that runs pretty much all over. Don't drink and drive. Some designated highways downtown have zero tolerance.

I truly enjoy time spent on Canada, great people who are so polite and bend over backwards for neighbors. So many good charitable organization, and everybody pitches in. Our fantastic cousins to the North (unless u live in Detroit as Ontario is South of you...) Love you guys and your economy that is still pretty robust. Well, ok, housing is cooling off a tad out West but not much. You folks are in a hell of a better shape that us in the US with our stupid banking system.

Ok, off my soap box. I love America and it will always be my home, but I may steal some hot Canadian women and bring them back and clone them. Yes, I found the special farm where they grow all those long legged dancers that know how to work to pole so well.... Going to clone them all.... Gonna be happy and rich!

Bernieca, you raise an important point. Effective consumer-complaining is different in Canada than it is in the States. The culture and standards and norms and expectations and manners are different up here.

Thing is, this is not a branch-related matter. This is TD Visa, which is centrally run out of Ontario. You might be able to go in a TD branch and make a payment on your TD Visa, but that's about all you can do. Any kind of interaction between the customer and the company has to be handled by phone to the central office (or one of their call centres, wherever they all might be).

I do have in mind to see what the bank's office of the President has to say on the matter. Got a call from TD's customer relations centre today (which I recorded…for quality purposes, of course!) wherein I was advised they've referred the matter of interest to the regional office for my area, who will be in touch within the next couple of days. We'll see how (and if) that goes.

You are right Dan with regard to the complaint resolution process, and yes it is TD visa but when the day is said and done you are a customer of that particular TD branch and the onus falls on them to resolve your problem That is why it has been referred to your area's regional office. That office supervises your branch. I have responded to your pm so good luck!

like I said "If you don't get any satisfaction"

you sound like you work in a bank call centre.

Banks vastly over-step their bounds and help themselves to other peoples money on a regular basis, hoping their customers, unlike Dan, won't catch on, or will roll over quietly if they do catch on. (seriously, a service charge for me to put my money IN your bank, and you'll pay me .5% interest...although not actually theft, like in Dan's case)

Your reaction tells me that the AG's office would be an effective place to lodge a complaint. Although, I re-read your post and the ombudsman sounds like it might not be a bad idea either

Nope: Been retired for 2 1/2 years and loving it. More time for the car!

Banks don't steal, they do make mistakes and trust me they want to make it right. Branch managers are graded on the number of complaints they receive. Resolve it at the branch level and no complaint. Escalate it to the Office of the President and a bad strike. The Office of the President is graded on the # of complaints they resolve so in most cases they do a great job. There is a process that every bank is compelled to follow: Problem resolution, and every bank is monitored by the Gov't. Go to any bank and ask for a copy of their brochure and by law they must provide it.

All banks are the same. People make the difference. Find a bank with friendly, helpful people and you will be happy.

I always told my staff it doesn't matter what the colour of the sign on the building is, it's what inside that counts. Good people who genuinely care and are knowledgable will always do what is right.

Oh by the way most customers have gotten a call from a call center asking how well they are treated by their branch so make sure you tell them exactly how you feel. These responses are shared with the branch manager and staff (no one knows your personal info) and again their performance is graded on how well or how badly they do. So you see it is really in their best interests to do the right thing.

Bottom line: People make the difference in any business. Ask any small business owner what the most important aspect of their business is and most often you will hear, customer service. Big business is no different. It's just with such a large and diverse work force it is more difficult to achieve.

Happy customers means more business means success!

I had a similar issue with WellsFargo. One month I was like $15 short on my bank statement than what I had in my check book. Another month went by and it was like $20. The next month, $15 again. I made it a point to go back through all of my statements and start from the beginning, then check my books over. Somewhere the bank statements were losing $15-$20 a month!!

I made it A POINT to keep a scrutinizing track over my books and bank statements....still the same....$15-$20 a month...no more/no less.

At the end of it, I took my statements and check book up to the local branch and demanded to speak with the manager, which ended up being a waste of time.

I explained everything to her in great detail 2x over and showed her what was up and she was like, "Well, you're right something doesn't add up, however, you need to have an outside CPA go through it to make sure something is up, then we'll see what we can do."

Of course I can't afford that....and she knowing my bank account, she knew that as well.

I ended up switching to a Credit Union.....no problems since.

You should have been able to specifically identify the items/debits in question on your bank statement. Sucks the manager was not properly managing their branch. Strange things happen, I wrote a check for $1,000 and it got debited against my account for $100... they caught up after about 30 days when the payee inquired about not getting proper credit.

I've had mysterious charges appear and never got a response that a CPA needed to go over it to get my money returned.

Back to your regularly schedules programming.

Nope: Been retired for 2 1/2 years and loving it. More time for the car!

Banks don't steal, they do make mistakes and trust me they want to make it right. Branch managers are graded on the number of complaints they receive. Resolve it at the branch level and no complaint. Escalate it to the Office of the President and a bad strike. The Office of the President is graded on the # of complaints they resolve so in most cases they do a great job. There is a process that every bank is compelled to follow: Problem resolution, and every bank is monitored by the Gov't. Go to any bank and ask for a copy of their brochure and by law they must provide it.

All banks are the same. People make the difference. Find a bank with friendly, helpful people and you will be happy.

I always told my staff it doesn't matter what the colour of the sign on the building is, it's what inside that counts. Good people who genuinely care and are knowledgable will always do what is right.

Oh by the way most customers have gotten a call from a call center asking how well they are treated by their branch so make sure you tell them exactly how you feel. These responses are shared with the branch manager and staff (no one knows your personal info) and again their performance is graded on how well or how badly they do. So you see it is really in their best interests to do the right thing.

Bottom line: People make the difference in any business. Ask any small business owner what the most important aspect of their business is and most often you will hear, customer service. Big business is no different. It's just with such a large and diverse work force it is more difficult to achieve.

Happy customers means more business means success!

Well, I wish I could've been a customer in you're bank.

I certainly haven't felt like I've been anything but a target for unscrupulous business practices, or a victim of incompetent employees in any of my dealings with all of the banks I've dealt with in the last 25 years.

Good lookin car, btw

It took a lot more persistence and phone calls -- all of which I recorded; they probably thought I was joking when I said "This call may be recorded for quality assurance purposes" -- but finally the situation got resolved. Starting from "Oh! Gosh! Interest? Um…we don't usually…I mean, we'd have to figure out…that would take some calculating, we'd have to go back over…um…we'll call you back", eventually they found someone at TD Canada Trust bank who can do math, worked out what the interest should be (to within close enough match of the figure I came up with), and coughed it up. I wish I could have charged them for the time they stole from me, policing their greedy, slack-aѕѕ work for them via telephone.

To their credit (heh), once they paid me back and I called to close the account, the rep reminded me I'd been accumulating travel reward points on that credit card -- $750 worth, spendable on any travel-related expense. It happened I had a trip forthcoming, so I held off on closing the account, used the points to pay a $750 chunk of an extended hotel bill, and then closed the acount and finished moving everything to my local credit union. I am much, much happier with them; they don't try to pull any stupid crapola like this what I reported here.

sounds like it was an "honest" mistake on the bank's part. an error, yes.
so recompensation, when complete, would finish the deal for me, Dan.

however, this makes one wonder, how often does this happen to people around the world? i guess we should all be checking our CC statements carefully & on a regular basis.

Geez............is that bank part of Bank of America, here in the states they are know for screwing consumers. Congrats on winning and getting what you were due. I have been a credit union member since 1976 and have never regretted it.

-
Back