Tearing apart hemi 5.7, machine work worth it?

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
So, you paid $200 for a 5.7 that physically turns over. Told by seller it had "a tick", no electronics yet to fire it, told it did run fine though.
From what little you can see, valve train move and cylinders look good.
Bottom end not looked at yet.

With heads off you decide "gonna just do a tear down, at least get honed"

That's where I'm at.

Debating if further machine work would be worth it?
Bore it? Heard mixed reviews, some say it's ok, some say water jackets to thin.
Any other work I'm not aware of?

There u go, opinions and recommendations appreciated.

I'm not a millionaire either, so sky is not the limit. Scraping as is, but I do want to stay efi, going to spend the $2k for Hotwire auto electrons...hacking a setup or fast or mega squirt is beyond me for now, I'm not gonna do the carb msd setup(what's point of modern hemi running carb? )

Also, I'd like to get as close to 500 Hp as possible.
Will be covering dart to a 6 speed t56.

Thanks

Ferous metal shavings
Bearing is litteral paper thin.
Walls look good though, nothing "Broken"...

Attachments

• IMG_0880.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0881.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0882.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 446
Looks like just another screwed up and abused motor by some previous hack who couldn't be bothered to check the oil now and then.

I have a similar motor where the all the signs looked good but the internals were a total mess.
I had to find another crank, camshaft, bearings for it, besides some other little trinkets.

If I hadn't already sunk money in a Borgeson steeringbox and Megasquirt-system for the engine I could/would've probably stopped right there.

On other hand, what also kept me going a bit was the 200hp power-upgrade of 345hp compared to the bone stock 140hp? 318 in my Dart.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to do.
1. Dissabemble, machine work (bore), new internals? + $2000 in hotwire electronics
2. Get a block (cost alot btw) from something like jegs, then build? + electroncs
3. Step 1 + moparperformance conversion kit?
4. Step 2 + moparperformance conversion kit?
5. Buy a crate from mopar performance that is ready to go (lotta money)

Green, im kinda thinkin that too.
I would have to use just the block, buy the rest and machine work, electronics.

Now I am at a cross road. Hemi? or not.
if Hemi, where? what is to say a junkyard one won't be the same condition? New ones are freaking outrageous priced.

If I don't go hemi, then I would want to do a 440. That would be another junkyard one, prob outta an RV, then im right back to the block and machine work and all new.

and buying one off ebay, like the post before you, just a little outta my price range.

I was set to buy a front end kit from HemiDenny, but now I need to hold off, depending on what motor i use, will dictate mounts.

I got a stock rotating assembly I won't be using with 36 miles on it. Make me an offer and its yours.

So, I am thinking here...back to my first dream engine w the dart.
I'm thinking cost to rebuild the hemi, getting it where I want, plus the $2000 in electronics to run it....would be pretty substantial. I still need to buy the 6speed tranny, bell housing adapter.

I found a company that will sell me a viper v10, w tranny, w wire harness, w computer for $8k including shipping......I may go this route. Save up a bit more and do that.

Sounds fun. My one question is, will it fit on a HemiDenny K member? I know I'll have cut the firewall out and modify the hell outta it. The sub frame was going to happen anyway....Im excited about this idea.

Way more fabbing than you realize!

Stick with the 3rd Gen Hemi!! V10, you probably wouldn't finish it (firewall and the entire trans tunnel modification). Bigblock, weight is a real problem with handling in the A-body ( I Know, I have had them!)

I am extremely impressed with what my 370" Hemi is capable of :) . 12.70's in a 4500 pound brick! Basically bolt-ons and a good custom tune. Imagine easy 11's in a 3200# A-body. I have tip'd 160mph going "into" 5th gear in my SRT8 Charger. BTW, that is with a 3.06 rear gear!

You can get recycled engine and trans assemblies from a place called LKQ. They warranty their engines for up to 2 years. They are removed from wrecked vehicles.

LKQ is a nation wide company so google them in your city. I have seen SRT8 eng/trans assemblies go for around $5000-7000. The NAG1 is a good auto trans or you could find an assembly with a 6 speed.

Just my lousy two pennies ;)

Thanks cuda, appreciate the input and info.
You really think it would be that hard? Obviously me asking shows you where I am at in the "design stage", but looking at it. I can see the firewall will have to be removed and modified...I was going to put the 6 speed manual tranny it in anyway, so the tranny tunnel was going to be modded.
Other then that all I see is trying to get I lined up right in the front, probably needing to attach some frame supports to it somewhere....then the fun stuff like accessories and intake.
I figure that wouldn't be to bad, I have the time to do it...as long as the damn thing would actually fit in the engine bay, and under the hood. I think I could do the rest.

I don't know why one would want to have a 6-speeds when you have a powerful motor under the hood of a lightweight body?
I get the 'manual-shifting' drift in this, but still... 6 gears to row in during everyday driving... I'm getting tired just thinking about it... :D
Extra gears were pretty much only invented for economy-reasons.

I've got an A518 OD-tranny in my Dart, currently with a lowpowered 318 in front of it, but I will put the 5.7 in the car hopefully somewhere this year with the same transmission. I'm sure the 3+OD gears will be enough for this car.

What I'm actually saying is, you could also just put a 904/518 behind the Hemi for the time being, and save/spend the cash for a 6-sp manual later on time.

If you are low on cash, you are really going after high dollar build-ups!
How about a warmed up 360?

YouTube just saved me a grip of cash and work.
I love the viper, and want to see it under my hood.
But that exhaust is so god awful.
I want the throaty v8 sound.

I do have a 360 block.
I do have a hemi 5.7 (block now...see pics above)
And I do have a 318(seized but can be torn apart)

Guess I should sit, think, and stick w one of these.

Maybe I should quit trying to modernize the car, stick w a nice carb v8.
I do still want manual tranny, decent electronics, remote start.

I have an 09' charger, do I really want a 73' that drives the same?
These cars were fine how they were made, we like them for the nostalgia...

Plus, carb would be cheaper.
"warmed up 360". U may be right

Again, this Hemi listed above has a carb type intake on it and priced right! Looks to have injectors and fuel rails too! All you would need is a MSD DIGITAL 7 to run the ignition and your done!! Unless you spend around $500 for a Megasquirt setup.

I am assuming you are planning on boosting it since its here in the Forced Induction forum right??

This this is going to be my best option right now. Its the mopar version for swaps, has the electronics and computer, and a cable throttle assembly.
I figure cost of rebuilding, plus trying to buy the electronics....and we are at the same cost. least this has a warrantee and all that jazz.

P5155067

-
Back