teenage girl and a slant six

-

Scampin around

Reaction score
Ok my daughter is going to be driving in a year. Seeming I have two Scamps and she wants one we have agreed she will get my slant 6 "Lorraine". I already have a full super six setup, I just picked up an 8.25 so she can have the bigger breaks and a better rear the the 7, HEI, Will also get front disk for her. But me being the silly buffoon that I am I just spotted a craigslist add with a guy selling clifford headers and 4 barrel manifold. I like the idea of the car not having too much power for my young lady. Your guys thoughts on this? Stick with super six or go for the clifford setup?

I bought my daughter the 63 valiant and she loves it. It has manual steering and brakes. She carefully bops back and forth to high school with it. It is no speedster with the little 170 but enough for her.

I bought my daughter the 63 valiant and she loves it. It has manual steering and brakes. She carefully bops back and forth to high school with it. It is no speedster with the little 170 but enough for her.

Probably the most popular girl in school too.

In my opinion it would just depend on how much you can trust her to drive safely and responsibly. I know some young guys and girls around town that I wouldn't trust with a stock civic, and others that I'd feel safe riding with inside high horse cars. If you have any concerns about how she'd drive when you aren't in the car with her... super six.

After I built my Hot Rod slant 6,I would on occassion let my daughter drive it to High School !!!Boys used to eat their hearts out !!!Ended up out at our 1/8mi drag strip,where I ended up racing one of her classmates that had a '70 Torino w/small block ! I wish I had a pic of his expression when he found out he got beat by a /6 !!!! PRICELESS !!! Made my build up worth every penny I spent on it !!!:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

MIXED THOUGHTS..... so need help from you!! She wants the car, what teenager wouldn't want a car? OK so now the hard part.....is she interested in participating in the build up if you go the cliff route OR is she worried about breakin a nail ( no offense intended just trying to get a feel, if the build is MORE your idea than hers)......if she could really care less stay with the stock motor....if she is into it and has friends that are into it, then build it with her....as long as she knows and is aware of the expense surrounding abusing a classic...... so you can see why I am in the same dilemma as you... answer those questions for yourself, and you will likely discover your own path

I'd go with the super six for now til she gets a little more seat time. But I would go ahead and aquire the clifford setup for the future dad and daughter project. My son and I started on our 66 Barracuda before he got his permit and I opted to go the stock /6 route for now, but I may put a 273 that I have in it at some point down the road.

better brakes, new tires and front suspension rebuild, leave the engine stock except for an electronic ignition conversion, it has more than enough power to get back and forth from school and any place else, save the performance parts on a shelf for a later more appropriate time, safety and reliability are always a good idea, performance upgrades are never a good idea for a young novice driver, besides adding them later when they can really be appreciated will be much more fun.

super six. Clifford with headers will never run as good. May be faster, but it aint gonna run better.

Dan I truly adore your posts and knowledge you pore out of every link. Im gonna stick with the super six, really the clifford stuff would have been more for me. Didnt think about the upgraded seatbelts, good call.

Just between me, you and the fence post,let her drive the car as is with you as a passenger to get the feel of a old car. My daughter wanted to take my 65 Belvedere to school in the worst way.She only drove a little Ford in drivers ed and a Neon. So we go out for a ride.No power steering or brakes,stick shift, (so was the Neon)OH GOD NO RADIO?!!,and a much larger car.After a hour out in town driving, she said "lets go back now". Pulled in the drive, shut the car off and said " Thank you, but I changed my mind".

-
Back