Telephone Call Blew Me Away Today!

Sell the 65 Barracuda Back to the gentleman who was 14 1/2 when he bought it

• Yes, do it - would be a great story to tell his kids!

Votes: 104 98.1%
  • No, he had his chance - JK!

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
-
I'll assume you dont insure your car then?

How about you personally pay the difference between what he paid for it and the Market Value? Put your money where your mouth is. ;)

Why do you keep your car rather than just hold onto the market value in cash? Is this just an investment for you? If so, why not play the stock market. I'm not buying your attitude here.

My Dart has liability coverage on it, as required by US/State law. If anything ever happened to it, I'd spend as long as it took fixing it. So what's your point?

You're asking someone else to take a hit. Why dont you take that hit and then you can feel all smug like you so obviously want to. I doubt the difference is that huge anyway.

If the shoe was on the other foot and I wanted a car back from someone and called them for it and they told me I could have it for what its worth Id be damn thankful.

So I repeat, you want the guy to lose money on a car he did not even advertise for sale why dont you step up and offer the difference?

I'm not asking him to take a hit. I'm sharing my opinion and saying what I would do and saying WHY like you asked in your post...or did you forget what you wrote?

So I repeat; why do you hold onto your car rather than the cash value that it represents? It makes a lot more sense to have liquid assets...or to put that cash into savings or really any other kind of investment. The answer likely explains why you're just trolling here.

Why do you keep your car rather than just hold onto the market value in cash? Is this just an investment for you? If so, why not play the stock market. I'm not buying your attitude here.

My Dart has liability coverage on it, as required by US/State law. If anything ever happened to it, I'd spend as long as it took fixing it. So what's your point?

Still not offering the difference I see? So what you're saying is he should take a loss but its not something you'll willing step in to do. You're smug attitude is the one that stinks here! You can spout off all you're BS but I dont see any For Sale adds here with your BS Hippy philosophy selling Mopars for what they cost 15-20 years ago.

I'm not asking him to take a hit. I'm sharing my opinion and saying what I would do and saying WHY like you asked in your post...or did you forget what you wrote?

So I repeat; why do you hold onto your car rather than the cash value that it represents? It makes a lot more sense to have liquid assets...or to put that cash into savings or really any other kind of investment. The answer likely explains why you're just trolling here.

Of course you are asking him to take a hit! I said he should sell to him for market value and you started replying with your hippy BS. Again, no one is buying your oddball reasoning in the for sale section. Im done replying to you.

@trigger_andy
I hope your day (night?) gets better. Nothing about what I said was intended to piss you off. I answered your questions with how I see it. You're 100% free to disagree.

When My 76 Dart came back into my life,he didnt want anything for it. I did offer money, which he took and i paid extra for the parts car and spare pieces.
I was expecting to pay a good price, i think i got lucky.
He was decent about it,which i appreciate.
The at present rightful owner has final say in the matter, he can do as he pleases.

Got sort of an update - got an email from Mark, guy who sold me the Barracuda. He was asking how the floors, frame rails, trunk pan etc were. Sometime before my ownership, he or a PO patched the driver's and passenger front floor pans. With him replacing the carpet, he had to have seen the repairs I would think!

A friend was underneath looking to verify how the clutch linkage was installed so he could do his 66 Valiant. He asked me for my camera so I could see what he was seeing - more than likely a cracked block by one of the freeze plugs. JB Weld was slathered on there quite liberally and then painted over. My friend thought that someone had painted over a glob of grease and after cleaning it up a bit, we agreed that the block was junk. Luckily, any LA is a drop in!
IMG_7517.JPG

I have emailed Mark telling him I would work with him on the price. As my wife and many of you have said, the chances of getting to this Barracuda is probably not gonna happen. We'll see what happens!

Last edited:
Many good Karma points will flow your way.
Plus you'll feel good.
I know I would.

I've offered to sell the Barracuda back to Mark, who bought it as a 14 & 1/2 year old. We'll see what happens!

Good Deal! I'd hate to think there will ever be a time that I sell my car and will forever lose the chance to own it again. Finally getting it back will invoke some very strong feelings on his part, and may cause a complete and thorough restoration!

Do what works for you. Plain and simple. No judging here.

Got an email back from Mark, the PO. He didn't say yes, no or let me think about it on buying the Barracuda back but will give me a call in a day or two. I'll update when I have more info.

Got an email back from Mark, the PO. He didn't say yes, no or let me think about it on buying the Barracuda back but will give me a call in a day or two. I'll update when I have more info.

What did he say in the email then? :D

"I've been busy with work and planning for home leave. I'll call you in a day or two"

Very odd. You'd think someone who was desperate to get his old car back would be throwing offers at you and trying to seal the deal.

He sounds like a chancer to me and hoping you basically just give it to him. :/

Dunno about that! All I can do is wait and see what he says. If it was me I would have been on the phone right after getting my sent email talking direct rather than following up a day later with an email. But that's me.

My wife says under no circumstances is the car going back for free or a low ball offer with her name on the title. She told me a couple of weeks ago I needed to find and buy some kind of junker and part it out. She said I didn't realize that car was parked in the lower driveway lol!

Sell it back to him. You're too nice of a guy not to! It will make his day and saves the car, as it seems that 40's project has jumped ahead of it in line anyway.....

Sell it back to him. You're too nice of a guy not to! It will make his day and saves the car, as it seems that 40's project has jumped ahead of it in line anyway.....

From the email I don't think he's that really that interested. My wife wonders if there's more to the "fender bender" that happened to the guy before him. Guess I need to do some more investigation on the car thaN what I was told!

i've always wanted to do a pre-48 street rod and when it fell into my lap and a Mopar to boot, I had to jump. So yes, it's a bit more priority than the Barracuda.

Last edited:
I say sell it back since you have 2 projects ahead of it and it has sat for that long in the same condition. It sounds like he will fix it up and keep mother nature from reclaiming it.

And for those saying sell it back at the same price he bought it for, imagine if this car was a 68 Charger R/T he picked up for $1k. Sell it for what it is worth, whether the guys story jives or not. Don't sell yourself short.

The wait is over! Just got a call from Mark and he said he and his wife crunched the numbers and with his wife's medical bills from her pregnancy, he must pass on the car. I have had several PM's from members offering to buy the car should he pass. We'll see what happens.

The wait is over! Just got a call from Mark and he said he and his wife crunched the numbers and with his wife's medical bills from her pregnancy, he must pass on the car. I have had several PM's from members offering to buy the car should he pass. We'll see what happens.

Maybe Mr altruism himself, aka MRGTX will step up and buy the Barracuda for the lad?

My first car (a '71 Barracuda) was sold because I couldn't do anything with it and it was rusting away. It spent time as a 440+6 clone, and now has a hugeh stoker Hemi in it. I think it's in MI now. It's been to more states than I have...lol. But at least it got saved.

-
Back