Tell me about the 413

-

Mopar Tim

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I can get a complete, Carb to pan, 413. 150 dollars. worth fooling with?

Depends.
What year is the engine and what is it out of?
Back in the day some friends would take a 413 and bore it out to use stock 426 pistons and make a cheap 426 street wedge or max wedge clone.
I don't know if it is worth the $$ today to do it.

I have one in my 61 Pioneer. If I knew then what I know now I would've used 440 block. You are way limited to piston choices. Punching out to 426 is not always feasible, you will need to have cylinder walls checked for thickness to see if you have the meat to do it. Too thin and you overheat. If your intent is to build a run of the mill grocery getter, then build the 413 with the low compression cast pistons. They are readilly available. Anything other than that will require you have pistons made (what I did). 440's are common and available, they have larger cube from the getgo and the pistons come in all shapes and sizes, so to speak.

All being equal, a 383 or this 413? I can get either both same condition, needs rebult. 383 is a 4bbl motor. in a 65 satalite.

If they are $150 each, buy them both.
I sold my last 413 for $500 10 years ago, when my buddy, rebuilt it he said pistons were really expensive, but the engine was in good shape.
He got killed in a bike wreck, his dad finished the truck.

1000474r.jpg

Buy them both. Then you can put the 413 crank in the 383 and have a low deck 426. The 413 block might be worth a little bit of money to someone who needs one. I doubt that the heads or any other part are worth anything but scrap. Same with the '65 383. The block is worth a little bit of money but nothing else on it has much value.

I got a 413 for free. It's in good running shape otherwise I would have passed on it. I think you would do better to find a later B or RB core. They should not be very hard to find.

The only reason I'd buy that would be to flip it to make some money. $150 is a good price if its in decent shape, not blown up or seized. If you're trying to build a powerful engine you'll do far better to start with a 440 or 400. I'm scratching my head seeing guys having so much trouble finding 440s, I've found and bought two 440s and two 400s dirt cheap. A cast crank 440 is the least expensive way to build a good low to medium budget engine with plenty of power and if your budget permits the 440 and 400 are both great for even more power with stroker kits.

-
Back