dowboy1970

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I do not know much more?

578ECD56-434E-4837-AB1A-A2807A1A66BC.jpeg

4CF98301-0A7C-4137-9BF7-79585E09EF71.jpeg

061DB556-835B-4DA0-9306-A6F98A0FD767.jpeg

It's awfully dusty... :rolleyes: but I think you knew that already.
2bl vc's....trans is a standard and a match to the 273...meaning it's dusty as $hit too....

Well, somebody's been into it- as @4spdragtop said, it's got 2 bbl. valve covers and a 4 bbl. manifold, so there's no outward sign of what truly lies inside. If it's really a 4 bbl. engine, then it's a '67 at the latest, a '65 at the earliest. If the 4 spd. has an output flange, it's a '65, if it's a slip yoke it's a '66-67. That's only if it was all born together. The motor mounts and brackets are early A, so '65 or '66, depending on the trans.
Oh, check the distributor- if it is dual points then it most likely is a 4 bbl. motor- single points most likely a 2 bbl. motor with a manifold swap. I *think* that looks like a dual point, but hard for me to tell.

Last edited:
I am betting on the flange and not the slip yoke.
I am kinda thinking he would have sent a good pic of that.

Well, somebody's been into it- as @4spdragtop said, it's got 2 bbl. valve covers and a 4 bbl. manifold, so there's no outward sign of what truly lies inside. If it's really a 4 bbl. engine, then it's a '67 at the latest, a '65 at the earliest. If the 4 spd. has an output flange, it's a '65, if it's a slip yoke it's a '66-67. That's only if it was all born together. The motor mounts and brackets are early A, so '65 or '66, depending on the trans.
Oh, check the distributor- if it is dual points then it most likely is a 4 bbl. motor- single points most likely a 2 bbl. motor with a manifold swap. I *think* that looks like a dual point, but hard for me to tell.
What's the difference between the 2 barrel and 4 barrel valve covers?

I am betting on the flange and not the slip yoke.
I am kinda thinking he would have sent a good pic of that.
If it is a slip yoke, be aware that the 273 and slant 4 speeds used a 26 spline output shaft (same as a 904) which is different from the '68 and up four speeds that used a 727-sized output shaft with 30 splines.

The shifter is a Hurst. 66 had a Inland. (If it is the original) Can't make out the output of the transmission. For sure a single point dist.

What Part# is on the intake, there is early and later intakes, doesn't, mean it was born with it either...............

64 to 65 273 2 barrel Early A-Body with a factory 4 barrel intake, solid lifter cam. 64 or 65 A833 trans with B&T output with original 64 or 65 Hurst shifter and linkage, probably a 3.09 first gear set. 2 barrel distributor (4 barrel engine distributors were Prestolite dual point, with cast iron housings). That is IF everything is original.

IMHO the dust on the outside is also on the inside.

With no blockage over the intake likely mice / rats nests in the intake or a cyl if a valve is open.

Same for exhaust.

If it is super cheap it might be worth it.

But by super cheap I mean 100 to 200 bucks

273s are expensive to rebuild due to the pistons.

If it has early heads, the heads on the intake manifold bolts will be smaller and at a different angle then the later heads (making them less desirable, but not a deal breaker,)

I would think the shifter and linkage would be worth a couple of hundred. I have not traded for it yet , He just sent the pictures.
Thanks for the help everybody.

Out of a '64-6 A-body, '64-5 2bbl valve covers, even though I see no evidence of it having had A/C, it has an A/C thermostat cover. Casting numbers and date codes would help narrow it down a bit.

-
Back