Tell me about this puke can

-

mike240

Reaction score
I have seen these before many years (have been out of the car game for years). Guessing not OEM.

its on my 66 Dart 273.
E7A124F8-104D-4762-AF84-686CAEE54472.jpeg

Looks well made. Not sure who made it though. Moro so or chris Alston comes to mind. Most guys I know that leisurely drag race use a beer can and a zip tie.

It's aluminum with a red cap. Now you know all about it.

Just a catch can. Any number of company’s make em. But it is not a “recovery” can which is what you want on a street car.

So.....that design makes it unable to replenish coolant back into the radiator full once it cools down. I wouldn't want that....

Just a catch can. Any number of company’s make em. But it is not a “recovery” can which is what you want on a street car
If the tube on the side goes down to the bottom on the inside and it has a vent on the lid it is a recovery bottle.

Mr. Gasket aluminum puke can. Listed as "recirculating" so that seems to mean it's a recovery tank.
Mr. Gasket 9135

Here it is with the lid off. I'm not sure how it can "recover" coolant back into the radiator. I THOUGHT a recovery tank had to have a tube on the lid going to the bottom of the can, but what the heck do I know?
LID OFF.jpg

The top hose barb fits 3/8" hose, and is screwed into the tank w/ NPT threads & sealant to prevent leaks. This hose barb could be removed and replaced w/ another size if needed, as long ans it is resealed again to prevent leakage. There is a tube inside the tank that extends to the bottom of the tank and this allows the coolant to be pulled back in the cooling system. This top hose barb is connected to the radiator w/ a hose that attaches near the radiator cap (on most radiators - this is the only connection to the radiator and this hose works for overflow & recovery of coolant). This info is included with description

Mr. Gasket aluminum puke can. Listed as "recirculating" so that seems to mean it's a recovery tank.
Mr. Gasket 9135

Here it is with the lid off. I'm not sure how it can "recover" coolant back into the radiator. I THOUGHT a recovery tank had to have a tube on the lid going to the bottom of the can, but what the heck do I know?
View attachment 1715891058
The 90 degree fitting on the outside needs a matching drop tube on the inside going to the bottom. If it has that, then it'll recirc :)

Agree with RRR.

It either needs to have a tube from the hose inside the tank, that goes to near the bottom, or the connection needs to be at the bottom.

They only work if the connection is below the water level.

Beat me by "a moment".

Look someone put one on a duster:rofl:
Screenshot_20220318-065510.png

By the way there are mixed reviews. These say the inside recovery hose is not sealed well so it sucks air.

Screenshot_20220318-065944.png
Screenshot_20220318-065957.png

Mine has two metal tubes on the bottom, one is flush and is connected to the radiator, the other is very tall and acts as a vent and overflow drain. I connected a hose to it and routed it out a hole in the header panel. When hot its about half full, when cold the fluid is almost gone. Works well.

.......the other is very tall and acts as a vent and overflow drain.

And that is the other problem with this design. That cap is air-tight and even has an O-ring? Without some kind of vent hole, this unit will only allow a small amount of coolant in, before the pressure with the radiator becomes equal...at least I would think.

I have a plastic blow molded square one with a jank plastic vented cap and the spuds on the bottom. It was $4.99 at Pep boys about 20 years ago. Its still on my Mazda, a little browner than it was new....You want to mount it about cap level wherever it ends up. I put mine on the firewall with a bent 3/8 hard line going to it.

Its required at the drag strip i think, in stock form if you top these cars off to the brim and run them they will "puke over" and the radiator will be down about an inch and a half for the antifreeze level. the coolant expands when hot and it was designed to puke out to the road.ahh the good old days...:)

And that is the other problem with this design. That cap is air-tight and even has an O-ring? Without some kind of vent hole, this unit will only allow a small amount of coolant in, before the pressure with the radiator becomes equal...at least I would think.

Here is mine. This is a stainless tank from Summit. It came with two pipes sticking out the bottom. One connects to the radiator and one is the overflow. The overflow pipe runs up high inside the can. This line is the vent. I assume the one in the original post is this way as well. The cap is sealed but the tank vents through the pipe in the bottom.
Summit Racing SUM-300103 Summit Racing™ Stainless Steel Overflow Tanks | Summit Racing

I didn't want to run a rubber hose from the tank to the radiator so I modified things a bit. I cut off the center pipe in the bottom of the tank and drilled it out for a 6AN bulkhead fitting. That allowed me to make and attach an aluminum hard line to the overflow tank and run that to the rad. Now I only need a small section of rubber hose.
DSC03203_zpsxmjm4t3c.jpg

DSC03202_zpsvqz6ek6r.jpg

Last edited:
Look at the photo again. The cap has a hole dead center in the top.

3B81D2B8-7963-4B59-A6A9-44B3A0B68CF1.png

-
Back