tell me why

-
Depends on what power level you trying to obtain? Prices start to equalize back out the higher you go. The one thing that stays exspensive for us is aftermarket blocks. But then again goes back to supply and demand.
Favorite saying friend of mine has is"depending on how fast you goes depends on your cubic dollars."
There is more of a disparity in price on small block stuff but then again goes back to supply and demand

Troy

Pure numbers.
When you tool up to produce , do you go after the market of 1000 possible users or 10,000.
Very few people have the wherewithal to attempt something on this scale and those that do typically expect a return on their investment.
There are options out there , as stated above.
It is getting better.
But MoPar is still third fiddle as far as most aftermarket manufacturers are concerned.

One thing that comes from all those parts being made, there is alot of ways to build a mis-matched Chevy.
Cost, if you look at Chevy's running in the low 10-second range, very few oem parts.
Get to the 9-second zone, you would be hard pressed to find any OEM chevy parts in the engine.
Alot of MOPARS still using the OEM blocks in the 9-second range, both small & big blocks.
The biggest thing that held the MOPARS back for years, was the lack of aftermarket heads.
While it may cost a little more for the MOPAR, most of the parts available by the aftermarket are well thought out componets. Not so with the Chevy stuff.
We as MOPAR fans have alot to be happy with.
Aftermarket; blocks, heads,cranks,rods, with many combinations.
The key here is to build the right combination, as it is with all manufactures.
Next step, find a True MOPAR machine shop! Very few genaral machine shops can do great work on all brands.
Now, I'm a low buck bracket racer & have been quite satisfied with my MOPAR combos.
They have always exceeded my expectations, they run faster & quicker than other brand X engines that have tree times the money invested in them.
I have a Chevy buddy, that has a Nova, He couldn't ran as fast as our Demon with his 327.
So he bought a Jegs 383 stroker, still not as fast. it lasted less than a year before it blew up. I quess my question is, how was that alot cheaper to run a Chevy? Two different engines, three convertors, two different gear sets, He couldn't outrun my .020 360 stock crank, rods, & block. The trickest part of my engine was the out of the box Eldlebrock heads that was on it. Et's, my best was a 11.28, his 11.60.
Now in all fairness, the 360 did break at the first of this race season.
I had a KB piston completely leave town.
This engine lasted 5 race seasons, thats 925 passes without any freashning at all.
At the start of the season, it only had 7% leakage.
it also won 4-Championships & 20K in winnings, just think what I could have done in a Chevy. I guess that I could have marveled at how cheap it was to rebuild the chevy every time it broke.
MOPARS RULE!

Duster Drag Car said:
i now bow down before the mopar gods and beg to be forgiven for i have sinned i will sell the chevy and buy another mopar!:eek:ops:

You are ok in my book that is really funny **** there . I guess it's ok to own a Chevy as long as it stays in the garage .and no more talking about it here .You are forgiven ! Lol

a chevy guy owning a mopar REALLY makes no sense

No, it makes perfect sense.... I'm one of those guys & I can tell you EXACTLY why I do it......... cost & conveinience.
Mopar, from an engineering standpoint, to me is a great car. BUT there's relatively little, AFFORDABLE support for 'em & it does take more brains to make 'em run. Chveys are a dime a dozen, tons of parts & every swinging you-know-what can make 'em run or knows how to fix a problem you'll have with them.
Not so Mopar------ most mopar-ites are either the white-glove/concourse types or they have enough money to buy trick head, valve gear,etc. to make 'em run & in their mind it's "top secret":mad: stuff that if (in their "expert opinion") you're not serious enough for them, they'll blow you off.
All that said, I still prefer Mopars, having been "converted" to them, but I like all cars. The OPs question is very valid& besides my response, I think he got some very valid responses to aquestion any new Mopar-ite would have after working with a different brand for some time....

I smell a troll......
no troll here buddy looks like your all stock have you ever buit a drag car or anything aftermarket its a whole new ball game no junk yard or swap meet parts here i have stock in summit racing equiment have you even heard of aftermarket its not for the weak at heart or for weak wallets.

no troll here buddy looks like your all stock have you ever buit a drag car or anything aftermarket its a whole new ball game no junk yard or swap meet parts here i have stock in summit racing equiment have you even heard of aftermarket its not for the weak at heart or for weak wallets.

Listen you D@@@@@@d troll, you don't know ANYTHING about me, how much money I have, or how much REAL STOCK I own. Do you know anything about the S&P 500? Like I said, quit whining, and move on. Go drive your pos chevelle off a cliff. You're too much of an A-hole to own a Mopar.

duster drag car

it's ok to be a car guy. there is nothing wrong with liking all kinds of cars. it's just a thing but it's not like being a true mopar guy, period.

ok i did a tad of reseach on comparable sm blk chevy and small blk mopar head gear.

chevy proform roller rockers-$160
7/16" studs-$28
stud puller to get the stock stuff out-$30 or take them to a shop to be removed- a guess-$50

rocker girdle-$113
take heads to machine shop to have them drilled and tapped to the 7/16" studs- a
guess at $100
total-$431 or $451

mopar proform roller rockers-$223
total-$223

now how does anyone figure mopar head gear is more expensive? a mopar with the shaft rockers doesn't need all the extra stuff that a chevy needs to be comparable.

i got these prices from jegs online,big blk stuff should be about the same.

so like was said before just purchase new adjusters and go race and please stop whining.

You're assuming a guy is going to run stock heads, which nowadays is pretty unrealistic. You're also assuming a Chevy guy isn't going to use screw in studs in the first place. Heads with screw-in studs have been around for years & unless you're doing some type of period-correct piece press-in studs are useless so the conversion wouldn't even be considered.
Also you're looking at brand new stuff when the fact is Chevy stuff is a dime-a-dozen. I had aguy GIVE me a big-block stud girdle & screww-in studs. The best SS roller rockers Comp Cams make are listed (Jeg's) at about $330 so you can see just how cheap Chevy stuff can be---they're giving it away!
As I said, from an engineering standpoint Mopar IS a few steps ahead but the willingness (?) to share accurate info, not be blinded by "purity" of facory correct parts & the sheer vastness of knowledge of things Mopar just doesn't seem to exist....

duster drag car

it's ok to be a car guy. there is nothing wrong with liking all kinds of cars. it's just a thing but it's not like being a true mopar guy, period.

ok i did a tad of reseach on comparable sm blk chevy and small blk mopar head gear.

chevy proform roller rockers-$160
7/16" studs-$28
stud puller to get the stock stuff out-$30 or take them to a shop to be removed- a guess-$50

rocker girdle-$113
take heads to machine shop to have them drilled and tapped to the 7/16" studs- a
guess at $100
total-$431 or $451

mopar proform roller rockers-$223
total-$223

now how does anyone figure mopar head gear is more expensive? a mopar with the shaft rockers doesn't need all the extra stuff that a chevy needs to be comparable.

i got these prices from jegs online,big blk stuff should be about the same.

so like was said before just purchase new adjusters and go race and please stop whining.

Well, maybe the cheap rockers are close in price, but good rockers....that is a different story. Granted, I don't know squat about Chevy's, but this was the first hit I got on Summit for both BB Chevy and BB Mopar for a set of Harland Sharps:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSP-S70015K/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSP-S2001/

About $260 for the BB Chevy, and about $660 for the BB Mopar.

Mopars are expensive to build, but I would not trade my 19 years of fun/pain with my 67 Barracuda for nothin.:D

Well, maybe the cheap rockers are close in price, but good rockers....that is a different story. Granted, I don't know squat about Chevy's, but this was the first hit I got on Summit for both BB Chevy and BB Mopar for a set of Harland Sharps:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSP-S70015K/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSP-S2001/

About $260 for the BB Chevy, and about $660 for the BB Mopar.

Mopars are expensive to build, but I would not trade my 19 years of fun/pain with my 67 Barracuda for nothin.:D

i see you went and missed out on what i was saying to be comparable. sure the part is cheaper but to get them even with each other you have to add the other parts and labor to the chevy and you DO NOT have to add ANYTHING ELSE to the mopar. how could you have missed that anyway and because i picked proform has nothing to do with it.

I have always said that dollar for dollar I can build a mopar to run with or around a Chevy..I have told all my Chevy friends this for years and nobody has ever took the bet...........Artie

i see you went and missed out on what i was saying to be comparable. sure the part is cheaper but to get them even with each other you have to add the other parts and labor to the chevy and you DO NOT have to add ANYTHING ELSE to the mopar. how could you have missed that anyway and because i picked proform has nothing to do with it.
FWIW that was pretty obvious in your first post.

Maybe at the track, they should pair cars up based on $$$ invested instead of qualifying times and ET's. LOL

I see your point Bob with the added labor and such. Your post makes sense, not trying to step on toes.

I do everything on my car myself, so I was just looking at it from the "price of the part" stand point. For example, all the Chevy aftermarket intake manifolds, heads, water pumps, etc, are cheaper than the comparable Mopar parts...more than likely due to supply and demand only (if you can mass-produce it, it gets cheaper).

I don't get it.
I love my Dart.
I must to be throwing the time and dollars at it that I have.
But it is no different than the '66 Cyclone we raced for about ten years ( a Mercury with a Ford motor no less , and it had a '67 Chevelle master cylinder too. :D ) , or the '70 Chevelle that I ran into the ground in the late 70's and abandoned behind a gas station after stripping the cowl hood and SS rims , or the '78 Chev step side that was a serious street effort in the early 80's.
Does not having blind brand loyalty make one less of an enthusiast ?
Anyone who cannot acknowledge the awesome cars that popped out of Detroit regardless of the manufacturer is missing the point I think.
Hell , I even admire some European iron.....just because there is no denying the cool factor.
Japanese......not so much , but they also turned out some interesting automobiles.
What makes a car / brand cool ?
Price tag ?
Current value ?
Production numbers ?
Performance ?
None of those are wrong answers.
I tend to take it a step further and give high points to uniqueness.
Regardless of who made it.
Cool is cool.
Always will be.
The answer to " why ?" is still a numbers game , and the flaming hoops we have to jump through to do stuff that G.M. guys take for granted makes MoPar guys a special breed for sure.
But the others can still be cool.
Just not quite as cool.:D:D:D

Amen brother!

I used to be mopar brand loyal to the point of ignorance. Then i got a mortgage, two car payments, a harley payment, family memebers needing financial help, ect.... I work fifty miles from home. I needed a dependable, fuel saver car. Ford offered a fiesta at 41 mpg, chrysler offered a sebring/chrysler 200 at 30? mpg. Driving 2400 miles a month its easy to see why i chose the fiesta. When it comes to where my money goes, in my bank acct is preferable than my fuel tank. Does this mean im not a mopar guy? I dont give a f&@k!, I go to the mopar nats every year no matter what, I attend many other mopar events in lieu of taking vacations, why? because I enjoy the hobby. i like to contribute when i can, help when i can. If im labeled as a fake because i choose to save several hundred dollars a year in fuel because i drive a ford for a commuter car, label away fools. Sorry, got off on a rant. Mopar to ya! Did I mention i own four old mopars? 70 duster(avatar) 66 coronet, 2, 71 darts and a garage full of mopar parts. I have NO ford parts laying around. I feel better now. :)

To the original poster.
Don't listen to the naysayers who have been giving you a hard time.
You have asked a very good question,that SHOULD be able to be discussed like adults.
It's BS like this that is turning this site into a skeleton of what it once was.
If you have nothing to add to why a mopar bb is more expensive to build than a Chevy bb,than you should move on, because your doing the website an injustice.

In reality it's not just a Mopar bb that is more expensive to build.
As we all know,it's the whole (Mopar) car that is more expensive to build. Wish I had the answer why that is,but I don't. It is what it is. We love Mopars,so that's why we do it.

The best and cheapest way to build these cars IMO is Craigslist,EBay,swap meets,websites,car clubs,junk yards,recycler,ect. Collect parts this way,and put them on the shelf. Use the aftermarket as a last effort,to pick up the slack. Money is king right now,so if you take your time,look around,there are great deals out there.

I see your point Bob with the added labor and such. Your post makes sense, not trying to step on toes.

I do everything on my car myself, so I was just looking at it from the "price of the part" stand point. For example, all the Chevy aftermarket intake manifolds, heads, water pumps, etc, are cheaper than the comparable Mopar parts...more than likely due to supply and demand only (if you can mass-produce it, it gets cheaper).

yes you are correct some of the parts are cheaper like you said but the OP was talking head gear only. i guess when all is said and done the two motors will be about even dollars for the same hp level. there is nothing wrong with like the other brands. i see alot of first class hotrods of all brands and i am in awl of them but i still think the #1 hotrod on the planet is a mopar, period.

When your fan base's tagline is "Mopar or No Car" your parts are going to cost more.

A big part of the reason Mopar parts are more expensive is because they know Mopar guys will spend more for the same (or less) power than Chevy guys.

Even Mopar knows this. Look at the $$/HP ratio on the 500hp crate motors. You can get the same power for 1/3 the price with the other guys.

The fact that there are a lot fewer Mopars than Brand X means there are going to be more options for the other guys. If you're going to make a product, you want to sell a lot of them, so you make it for the big market.

I came from Ford stuff to Mopar, and it was a rude awakening as far as the expense goes. It costs a lot more to get the same ET out of an A-body vs. a Mustang. And there are much better aftermarket parts available for SBF than SBM, but, I wouldn't go back....

For me it came down to this: Which will make me happier; going fast, going fast as cheap as possible, or going fast in this car?

That said, I got creative with some junkyard parts (couldn't afford to build a small block after buying the car and building the transmission) and it turned out great. Though my ET aspirations were probably more modest than yours.

Listen you D@@@@@@d troll, you don't know ANYTHING about me, how much money I have, or how much REAL STOCK I own. Do you know anything about the S&P 500? Like I said, quit whining, and move on. Go drive your pos chevelle off a cliff. You're too much of an A-hole to own a Mopar.
wow dude you hurt my feelings think ill kill myself but in the mean time ill keep building my mopar or any other brand i choose to blow your gandma car off the road or strip! and yes i know about the s&p 500 and the whole stock market thing its not my bag but my job forces me into that 401crap.

Not sure if you think your funny or what, but you are a poor representative of this site. Your language and attitude is completely uncalled for. The original posters question was a perfectly acceptable question. He's not a troll,or anything else you called him. He is a member here who should be treated with respect,like anyone else. If anyone should quit whining and move on,that would be you.

Johnny Dart, have you been reading these posts?

Duster Drag Car: "i have both and i know the big block mopar is a money sucking pig" - and that comment was coming from a guy with a very low post count.

Gee, wonder why I thought he was a troll?

Johnny Dart, Is he asking a "perfectly appropriate question" or does he appear to be bashing? If you don't like my response Johnny :finga:.

Johnny Dart, have you been reading these posts?

Duster Drag Car: "i have both and i know the big block mopar is a money sucking pig" - and that comment was coming from a guy with a very low post count.

Gee, wonder why I thought he was a troll?

Johnny Dart, Is he asking a "perfectly appropriate question" or does he appear to be bashing? If you don't like my response Johnny

Yep,read the whole thread,word for word, and guess what.
If not built properly a big block Mopar can easily be a money sucking pig.
That's fact.
Bottom line,this is his opinion and he's entitled to it.

So that makes him a troll ?
Interesting, but you make no sense at all.

As far as post count ?
You've been here a whole year....Happy B-day.

-
Back