Telling a tale of ebay fraud

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the buyers real name? Post that and shipping address please. He obviously saw this thread somehow, so he is a member here.

Hello everyone,
I'd like to tell you something that happened to me today, and maybe get some thoughts about it.
It all started with my 71 Valiant, and the stock AM radio contained within. It didn't work worth a darn when I got the car. But since I'm an electronics technician, I was able to repair and tune it to new in no time. Since I have no use for a mono AM radio, I listed it on ebay. Here's my original auction.

Chrysler Solid State AM radio | eBay

It was listed for a very long time, because I wasn't sure how much a mint restored AM radio was worth. Eventually I lowered the price, and waited some more. Then I had a buyer, named we_are_buying_and_selling_everything. An unusual name, but frankly I don't care if they resell it as long as I'm paid. I sold it for 40 bucks, plus shipping.
Sent it priority mail, well packed, and I even removed the knobs and wrapped them separate so they wouldn't get bashed on the way. 40 year old plastics and all.

Delivery was today, and I immediately got a return request from the buyer stating the item was damaged. The buyer posted pictures that seemed to show one of the shafts bent and a big hole in the box. There were several complaints about my use of tightly packed newspaper as packing.
Here's the photos the buyer sent me.
View attachment 1715477663 View attachment 1715477664 View attachment 1715477665
Note the serial number. There's one more picture I'm leaving out, which is the one that has my address on the label, in my handwriting. All it shows is the packing.

I politely offered a photocopy of the USPS receipt, which had 50 dollars insurance included. That's more than they paid for the radio in the first place. They refused insistently, claiming it was my fault the package got damaged. More demands for full refund, and in rather poor grammar I might add.

The buyer began to become irate, and I politely reminded them that the auction clearly stated as is no returns. Why no returns? Well frankly I didn't want the dang thing back, not that I told that to the buyer.

Eventually I did a partial refund which included the purchase price minus my real shipping costs, with the clause they keep the radio. They accepted.
At that point I was pleased. After all, the USPS insurance claim is worth more than the refund. So I did my due diligence and filed the claim. It's still pending. So some guy got a 50 year old radio for the price of shipping. Big whoop, I can live with that.

But what I can't live with is this.
Chrysler Solid State AM radio,dodge,plymouth,mopar | eBay

Guess what, that's the same radio. They even reused my pictures. Note again... the serial number. And note the condition... supposedly near mint like new? Oh? But I thought it was busted up and needed a refund. Note the name of their auction as well.

Liar.

So if any of you are looking for an AM radio for your mopar, don't buy that one!
Hello everyone,
I'd like to tell you something that happened to me today, and maybe get some thoughts about it.
It all started with my 71 Valiant, and the stock AM radio contained within. It didn't work worth a darn when I got the car. But since I'm an electronics technician, I was able to repair and tune it to new in no time. Since I have no use for a mono AM radio, I listed it on ebay. Here's my original auction.

It was listed for a very long time, because I wasn't sure how much a mint restored AM radio was worth. Eventually I lowered the price, and waited some more. Then I had a buyer, named we_are_buying_and_selling_everything. An unusual name, but frankly I don't care if they resell it as long as I'm paid. I sold it for 40 bucks, plus shipping.
Sent it priority mail, well packed, and I even removed the knobs and wrapped them separate so they wouldn't get bashed on the way. 40 year old plastics and all.

Delivery was today, and I immediately got a return request from the buyer stating the item was damaged. The buyer posted pictures that seemed to show one of the shafts bent and a big hole in the box. There were several complaints about my use of tightly packed newspaper as packing.
View attachment 1715477663 View attachment 1715477664 View attachment 1715477665
Note the serial number. There's one more picture I'm leaving out, which is the one that has my address on the label, in my handwriting. All it shows is the packing.

I politely offered a photocopy of the USPS receipt, which had 50 dollars insurance included. That's more than they paid for the radio in the first place. They refused insistently, claiming it was my fault the package got damaged. More demands for full refund, and in rather poor grammar I might add.

The buyer began to become irate, and I politely reminded them that the auction clearly stated as is no returns. Why no returns? Well frankly I didn't want the dang thing back, not that I told that to the buyer.

Eventually I did a partial refund which included the purchase price minus my real shipping costs, with the clause they keep the radio. They accepted.
At that point I was pleased. After all, the USPS insurance claim is worth more than the refund. So I did my due diligence and filed the claim. It's still pending. So some guy got a 50 year old radio for the price of shipping. Big whoop, I can live with that.

Guess what, that's the same radio. They even reused my pictures. Note again... the serial number. And note the condition... supposedly near mint like new? Oh? But I thought it was busted up and needed a refund. Note the name of their auction as well.

Liar.

So if any of you are looking for an AM radio for your mopar, don't buy that one!
Hello everyone,

Liar.

Good afternoon all,
I was the purchaser of this guys am radio,He is right he had it listed for a long time At an outrageous price on eBay he kept lowering his ad price catching my attention then he put a best offer on it which I Made a couple offers that was too low for him to except,then he countered my offer with $40 but he wanted $27 in shipping to make up for lowering the radio cost ( Who made money?)but I willing to pay it because his radio looked so nice and he described very well it was just wanted I needed an original am radio for my car before selling it, but just before excepting his counter offer on his radio I put an ad on marketplace for a.m. radio “wanted” for an early Abody a couple people responded with not so clean radios so I passed on them ,but 1 seller said I will sell you knobs and face plate which were clean for 20.00 if i find a clean radio needing them so at that time I went back on eBay and found just a radio needing all that stuff, face plate and knobs for $20 so I bought it and was going to install that in my car and save some money from buying this guys a.m. radio because of the $27 shipping but his radio was much cleaner so I ended up excepting his offer and bought it paid instantly, after a few days went by he sent confirmation he shipped it I made up my mind I had too much money in it so I did not know longer want it was going to put the inexpensive radio in my car instead, as soon as I knew the radio had been shipped and was on its way to my house I borrowed pictures off the Internet and listed the radio before receiving it on eBay trying to recover my money in eBay listing fee, his radio showed up to my door yesterday with the back of radio sticking out of box then after opening it up seeing his poor quality of packaging ( wadded up newspaper balls) you could see the volume knob was bent sideways, anyone that ever tried straightening out a potentiometer knows it’s made out of aluminum/white metal it will break off, if it does straighten out the tone knob behind it does not have enough clearance in turns with the volume knob. So I immediately took pictures and sent it to the seller wanting a refund, he responded wanted me to turn it into USPS as a claim I told him I would not do that it was not their fault it was his because of the packaging , so we went back-and-forth for about a half hour and he sent me a partial refund that I excepted which I was still out $20 from original purchase but I was going to use his knobs and the face plate on the other radio I bought from eBay so everything was still going to work out on my end and I would have a decent radio for my car , but before I could cancel the listing on his radio he went and posted all this garbage which you could clearly see my ad listing was dated a day and a half before receiving his radio, I was not trying to sell a damaged radio there was no scam going on just wanted my money back he’s bragging he still made $20 and going to collect the full amount through you USPS claims if anyone is a scammer it’s not me‍♂️

C23AB864-123A-445A-8380-A7743AD8BF63.jpeg

5EE26CA5-12BD-4375-9BDF-30E69F4FE63C.jpeg

C100F8FC-2699-4821-8D43-66DD0FDC51BC.jpeg

771D6862-AB13-4E12-B625-BB07332FE1C5.jpeg

2B21B930-DA4D-449F-A629-90C98D043D9A.jpeg

Well as usual, there's 2 sides to every story.
Now, That being said, this thread will close here pretty soon. Both sides of the story have been shown and we all can draw our own conclusions and opinions but we aren't going to fight and argue about it. From what I can see the transaction that went bad was done through Ebay and not here. It looks like the other party wasn't a member until this afternoon. He joined and responded to this thread. We're done here.

Last edited:
I might have thought that, but I packaged the radio explicitly to protect the shafts. There was plenty of room in that box, and I placed a lot of padding between the shafts and the wall of the box.

I've been packaging things for a very long time, and I'm dang good at it. I started back when dial up was the common mode of internet connection and ebay was an infant.

A piece of styrofoam wouldn't have stopped a scammer.
Where does scammer keep coming from? All I was trying to do was re-cover my money back on something I did not need, your pictures are listed all over the World on the Internet anybody can use them no one used anything else ,not your ad not your name nothing. The only person that made any money and trying to make more money off United States Postal Service is you for a false claim, have a great day sir

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back