temperature question

-

bignasty123

Reaction score
What is the best temperature u want ur car at when ur drag racing.will high temps hurt e.t.? Only wondering because my car was running at 220 during all my passes.still ran 7.40 in the eighth. Im getting a whole new rad, ele fan set ip friday. Just want to know thats all thanks all race vets

I want the engine to be at the same temperature every race. I prefer that to be 190-195°. Cool air, cool fuel, warm oil in the engine, trans, and rear.

hi, we run water temp at 110-130, with hot oil. car is faster, more consistent, lives longer.

I know my set up is horrible just got my car running and that was one of the bugs I'm working out this week....I figured I would gain et with cooler water temps because I knew more heat isn't too good so new everything this week...would an electric water pump help et too?..

My car always picks up a couple hundredths in later rounds when I start to hot lap it. Water temps around 180-190....it likes heat in the motor, just try to keep it consistent.

A few observations:

1. Generally speaking a hotter motor produces less engine wear.

Engine wear at 160 is MUCH greater than at 210. In my view a H20 temp of 185 is a good compromise between wear and HP. One reason (there are others as well) that today's cars run at 210 is that it leads to longer engine life and less wear. A car consistently run at 160 will have as much wear at 25K miles as a 210 car does at 100K. Obviously if a car overheats, the parts will expand too much and the result is metal to metal contact, but the above statement is generally true, a motor running at 210 will have significantly less wear.

2. Generally speaking a cooler inlet charge creates more HP.

People believe that a 160 Thermostat will increase their HP because it is cooler thus leading to a cooler and by extension denser intake charge. This may or may not be true, see #3.

3. Generally speaking a warm engine atomizes fuel better than a cold engine. In a truly cold engine, fuel can drop out of suspension and puddle. This leads to either an overly rich mixture as you try to compensate for the fuel puddling, and poor atomization of the fuel that does enter the motor. This would explain flyfish picking up a couple of hundredths after a few runs, the fuel is atomizing better.

In the end what you want is a motor that is fully warmed up so that the fuel is able to atomize. You also want all the parts fully expanded to reduce abnormal wear. At the same time you the incoming air as cool as possible. Underhood air is frequently very warm and thus less dense.

In my view a 185 thermostat is a good compromise between being cool and engine wear. At the same time fabricating a cool air kit is well worth the time and effort.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Nicely stated!

-
Back