Thanks Amazon?

-
With the growth of the internet and other factors the world has become a global economy. It is a much smaller place then it was in the 50s 60s and 70s. Borders, tariffs, protectionism wont help a singular economy. They will leave it behind in the dust.

Unfortunately changes need to be embraced and accepted, the possibilities and opportunities that change present need to be embraced.

My 2 cents.

ROCK Auto????? I try to order 3 different parts, shipping from 3 different warehouses and the total costs were stupid!!

I think I am ready to get down to 2 finished cars and call it done..NO more parts ordering, shipping troubles, and fighting bad parts, high prices, the hassels, the list is long....
I had a leftover $25.00 Rock Auto gift certificate that was unclaimed at one of my hot rod shows I used to run.

I decided to order a couple parts for my wife's ride... a valve cover gasket, one oil filter and a belt iirc. The parts cost was $24.00 and I used the gift certificate. The shipping was $26.00....

Sorry, I know this thread is more about customer service so here’s another.

Stopped for gas this morning, local u-pump-it. I walk in, say good morning, she says nothing. I hand her some cash and ask her to put $30 on pump #2.
She takes the money, punches a few buttons and sits back down, and again says nothing. I say thanks and walk out.

Is it too much to say hello, or morning, or how’s it going?

So true there are just too many ignorant people in this country..was taught at an early age to ALWAYS say please and thank you!!

It is not fair when I make my comments but in my eyes it seems mostly true.... Brick and mortar are pretty discouraging to deal with in my neck of the woods anymore. Maybe 1 out of 20 give a crap and the rest just seem to care less if you spend money with them....

The only place I go to with 100% confidence knowing my shopping experience will be what I am expecting is Harbor Freight. Take the price out the equation and they have the service end figured out and that's what matters to me. Others should take note. But that's just my opinion....

JW

While shipping will always be an issue, I have to put a price on my time. If I go to a local parts store, and they say they can have it first thing in the morning, or even later in the day, that means 2 trips to the store, stand in line while the customer in front of you wants parts for 3 different cars, while you can hear 2 or 3 people in the back talking, instead of waiting on you. Any chance I get, I order online. Summit is 1 state away. Usually 2 days. Rock Auto gets you on shipping, and takes several days, it's delivered right to my door.

It is not fair when I make my comments but in my eyes it seems mostly true.... Brick and mortar are pretty discouraging to deal with in my neck of the woods anymore. Maybe 1 out of 20 give a crap and the rest just seem to care less if you spend money with them....

The only place I go to with 100% confidence knowing my shopping experience will be what I am expecting is Harbor Freight. Take the price out the equation and they have the service end figured out and that's what matters to me. Others should take note. But that's just my opinion....

JW
Do you guys think it is worth while to let your frustrations be known with retailer or for the most part will it just fall on the deaf ears of the manager?

While shipping will always be an issue, I have to put a price on my time. If I go to a local parts store, and they say they can have it first thing in the morning, or even later in the day, that means 2 trips to the store, stand in line while the customer in front of you wants parts for 3 different cars, while you can hear 2 or 3 people in the back talking, instead of waiting on you. Any chance I get, I order online. Summit is 1 state away. Usually 2 days. Rock Auto gets you on shipping, and takes several days, it's delivered right to my door.
That is why I call the parts store first and have for over 30 years. No trip made till they have the part in the store for me.

If they dont answer the phone call another place. We have several here and I am in between two towns so that gives me a choice North or South.
I live between 2 towns also , one is 20 mi away , the other 15.. Back at Missouri, I lived 15 mi from O Reilly, but a very small town store, and they actually answered the phone!! I can get AuroZone on the phone here in Tx but have always considered most of their parts a little below O really. I can get ahold of NAPA but they are usually 25% higher too. Oh well!!
Now we have a Summitt here in Tx now and I get to pay them the high Tx sales tax!!!!! lol

Do you guys think it is worth while to let your frustrations be known with retailer or for the most part will it just fall on the deaf ears of the manager?

Managers are typically wired a certain way and are drones..... For some people it works to escalate a concern... For my the second I read the facial expression of "I really don't care what you have to say but they pay me to stand here and listen" it will go backwards so screw em". There really is nothing I am held hostage over these days in regards to most things.....

But an example of good Manager service is a Chick-Fila. They seem to care and are paid well to do so....

JW

Managers are typically wired a certain way and are drones..... For some people it works to escalate a concern... For my the second I read the facial expression of "I really don't care what you have to say but they pay me to stand here and listen" it will go backwards so screw em". There really is nothing I am held hostage over these days in regards to most things.....

But an example of good Manager service is a Chick-Fila. They seem to care and are paid well to do so....

JW
Agree. Chick-Fila really has it together. Being closed o Sundays tells me a lot.

Let your experiences be known. If nothing happens after that, then it's on them.

I went through a fiasco with a local sporting goods chain store concerning a safe. Long story short, I posted my experience on a gun forum I'm on and then wrote their corporate offices with a link to my post. I got an apology, pretty sure the manager got a spanking and I bought a larger model of the safe I was looking at for $150 less from an online retailer and had it delivered to my house.

Now I gotta figure out where I'm putting that mutha.

Let your experiences be known. If nothing happens after that, then it's on them.

I went through a fiasco with a local sporting goods chain store concerning a safe. Long story short, I posted my experience on a gun forum I'm on and then wrote their corporate offices with a link to my post. I got an apology, pretty sure the manager got a spanking and I bought a larger model of the safe I was looking at for $150 less from an online retailer and had it delivered to my house.

Now I gotta figure out where I'm putting that mutha.
And fill it!

I ordered pulleys from amazon.ca
And recieved them pretty quick. .ca refers to canada,post office charged me near $50 for duty and handling.

Wife places a 50 dollar order from wally world and gets free shipping. So she orders dog food in 50 lb bags....plus a few odds and ends. Gets 2 packages.

I purchase 25-30 thousand in parts anually,all local supplied.
If i cant get it there, i go online.

The local suppliers have the option to match pricing,if at all possible,and for most it is.
As an example-
A master cylinder,retailing at $60 can cost as little as 18 dollars.
Nine years in parts,markup is x1.43.minimum.
50 to 60 point markup is typical in jobber parts.
I am well aware of the markup,it spans across jobbers,big box stores and even dealerships.
Building
Employees
Maintenance
Utilities
Inventory
This all has to be covered somehow.
Amazon-massive network working on big volume with small margin.

Last edited:
Agree. Chick-Fila really has it together. Being closed o Sundays tells me a lot.

I am a huge fan of no Sunday's... I am an even bigger fan of "blue laws..." I am perfectly OK with people having their Sunday's off.... I would be willing to bet a hotdog our country would be in better shape if it still existed....

JW

I am a huge fan of no Sunday's... I am an even bigger fan of "blue laws..." I am perfectly OK with people having their Sunday's off.... I would be willing to bet a hotdog our country would be in better shape if it still existed....

JW
Small town canada here,most businesses closed on sunday.
Doesent bother me in the least.
Day of rest. Everybody needs one.

As a small business owner its up to me to give the customer good reasons to buy from me. Good prices, better product information, better guarantees, expert advice, in house servicing and after sale support to name a few. There is no such thing as customer loyalty anymore, we have to earn each sale every time. Only the strong survive.
What do you do for a living/kind of store?

Hey Rob
I own Trenton Jewelers in Trenton, Mi. Doing this for 46 years now. We direct import diamonds, do in house original and custom design as well as real time cad for our customers. Voted the #1 jeweler in SE Michigan. Just finished the best year in our 86 year history. Sorry to sound like a commercial but I'm pretty proud of what we do. My oldest and middle son work with me too. BTW several FABO members are enjoying my work although one of them doesn't know it!!

Hey Rob
I own Trenton Jewelers in Trenton, Mi. Doing this for 46 years now. We direct import diamonds, do in house original and custom design as well as real time cad for our customers. Voted the #1 jeweler in SE Michigan. Just finished the best year in our 86 year history. Sorry to sound like a commercial but I'm pretty proud of what we do. My oldest and middle son work with me too. BTW several FABO members are enjoying my work although one of them doesn't know it!!
That is completely awesome.

I like to pick up my parts and inspect them before buying them...

I don't like wasting time and money returning wrong parts through the mail and taking a week or two for them to get it straightened out...

-
Back