That chain...

-

Noxnabaker

Reaction score
When I put a new timing chain in a -77 318 some years ago there was a tensioner on that engine... Today I was gonna do it to my -89 318 too & found NO tensioner on that one!
So is it that some slowheaded mechanic's been on & in it before or is it the folx up in the factory office who's been greedy enough to save bucks for their holidays?
Gives me a chevy-feeling...

The tensioner wasn't a factory item until the late '80's, or possibly the early '90's.

"I have news" I have several Magnums I tore down and NOT ONE had a factory tensioner!!!

I think it WAS a v6 thing, but since the V6 was just about a 318 with 7/8 cut off, it would work and maybe did on some out the door. The LA based V6 had such an uneven firing order that they thought a manual trans wasnt going to work, but a heavy torque converter would smooth out the pulses. So I bet it got some special attention concerning the timing chain and its whipping herky-jerky duty.

I should have mentioned I tore down "all V8s" I guess a v6 is still considered a magnum

Howdy again folx!
A serious MoPar racing pal said about my chain that it didn't really need replacing yet so I just got the tensioner but I can't for my life figure out how to place the round circle spring, could anyone show with a picture?
My pal is away on holidays & around here it's mostly chebbyfolx...

Are you talking about the piece that looks like a grenade pull-pin? If so, with the chain and tensioner installed, you simply remove it. It just keeps the tensioner in place while you install the chain.

Thats new to me, anyone care to share a picture?

Alright, that makes sense, I couldn't figure out how to fasten it & so on...
& yep, picture you'll get by just looking at images of it if you google. :)

The 'pin' just keeps tension on it (cocked) for installation. pull the pin and you have 3-5 seconds before it goes off...oops..thats for a real grenade!
img_0250.jpg

700-02080531em-man-about-to-pull-pin-from-hand-grenade-stock-photo.jpg

The tensioner is a V-6 only part from the factory. I forget what year the factory started using them and came out with the TSB for the engines that lacked them. Before the TSB came out our rep was allowing us to use a Mopar Performance double roller chain as a warranty replacement item. The V-6 was hard on distributor / oil pump drive bushings also.

In order to reduce confusion in this thread, yes the v6 mag only had the tensioner. But, you can add it to any V8. Single or double chain. Mine was extreamely tight but it fit. The nylon guide will wear-in and won't harm the pump.

The tensioner is a V-6 only part from the factory. I forget what year the factory started using them and came out with the TSB for the engines that lacked them. Before the TSB came out our rep was allowing us to use a Mopar Performance double roller chain as a warranty replacement item. The V-6 was hard on distributor / oil pump drive bushings also.

He said "hard on"

-
Back