That modern look....

-
As far as I know... Both cars are bagged. That Challenger is fairly local and hangs out with the import crowd a bit.

I pretty much assumed they were. There's no way they're streetable at the height shown in the pictures, and that usually means they're bagged.

Which is fine, as long as you don't mind springing for the Alterkation K member, 4 link rear and airbags. Which I would wager would cost close to $10k, just in suspension parts. It costs a lot of money to look that cool...

The torsion bar and leaf spring rear can be made to handle just as well as a coil over set up, and you can get pretty low and still be streetable. But you definitely can't get THAT low. And I still think that you can look pretty darn good and handle really well with a set of 18's without going the airbag route.

Here's mine sitting at ride height, Coil-overs all the way around and 6" clearance to the oil pan. 17" Billet specialties wheels.

Attachments

• duster%2520036.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 476
  • RossGordon%20DusterBlack.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 452
I pretty much assumed they were. There's no way they're streetable at the height shown in the pictures, and that usually means they're bagged.

Which is fine, as long as you don't mind springing for the Alterkation K member, 4 link rear and airbags. Which I would wager would cost close to $10k, just in suspension parts. It costs a lot of money to look that cool...

The torsion bar and leaf spring rear can be made to handle just as well as a coil over set up, and you can get pretty low and still be streetable. But you definitely can't get THAT low. And I still think that you can look pretty darn good and handle really well with a set of 18's without going the airbag route.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with installing an air ride suspension. The Demon is an Alterkation (I think you mentioned that before), but I don't think they offer an airbag kit for it anymore. Ridetech only sells them for LX, B, and E bodies and they are very expensive.

A lot of people in the import crowd do it for the look when parked. Get the car as low to the ground as possible so that the wheels barely don't touch.

I agree with the Torsion bars and leaf spring statement. Great thing about the T-bar suspension is you can adjust ride height without swapping springs. Just look at cars like the Green Brick or the Red Valiant (now known as the Red Brik). Both successful track cars utilizing stock suspension points that look good and run 17" wheels. I'll be going to 18" wheels within the next couple months with my torsion bars and leaf springs, hopefully. It should look nice. I'm excited. :D

Rear tire on. Had to order offset springs hangers because the tire is touching the spring. May have to also roll the fender lip a little. But cant wait to get it down. The tire will be tucked slightly more than it sits on stands. Going from a 25.5" to 28" tire it can come down a little to keep the same ride height from before.

Attachments

• 20140807_213901.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 446
  • 20140807_213840.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 425
  • 20140807_214021.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 438
Rear tire on. Had to order offset springs hangers because the tire is touching the spring. May have to also roll the fender lip a little. But cant wait to get it down. The tire will be tucked slightly more than it sits on stands. Going from a 25.5" to 28" tire it can come down a little to keep the same ride height from before.

Those front runners sure are cool, a couple of my mustang friends use them. Tires sure aren't cheap though.

Does this count?
1408599588779.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks pretty good to me! Lower it down a just a little more and it'd be perfect. :thumbup:

Thanks!
I dropped the rear 1.6", those are SS springs believe it or not...lol
Will likely use a 1" block under the axle next.
Take a turn or two out of the torsion bars, hopefully that'll do it!

Thanks!
I dropped the rear 1.6", those are SS springs believe it or not...lol
Will likely use a 1" block under the axle next.
Take a turn or two out of the torsion bars, hopefully that'll do it!

Yeah SS springs are definitely not the ones to use if you want your car to sit low. Another full turn on the torsion bar adjusters should sit the front down nicely, just don't forget to check/adjust your alignment when you're done.

Slowly getting there... Give me a month or so and I'll have a new suspension, brakes, and wheels on the Dart. :D

Attachments

• 13 inch disc brake mach up.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 354
  • 8.75 done almost.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 337
Glad to see more dudes realizing the go-cart esque potential of these little rockets.

Glad to see more dudes realizing the go-cart esque potential of these little rockets.

After mostly finishing the mechanical upgrades on my Duster I'm surprised MORE people don't do this. I had an idea of what my Duster would handle like with the mods I had planned, but it blows me away how well it actually handles. It totally surpassed my goals, even after having already set up my Challenger with a similar set up. Granted, with the 16:1 manual steering and 275's up front its not the most user friendly, but it handles spectacularly, and that's not just for an old mopar. Sure, my g/f's 2013 mustang is a lot easier to drive because of the adjustable sport steering and traction control, but I don't think it actually handles much better.

Considering that I got a super clean '74 Duster for $2k, I don't see why they aren't everywhere. The '73-76 cars are perfect for this. Relatively cheap and fairly plentiful for a musclecar era ride, and no worries really about the collectibility/resale for most of them. What else do you do with a '73-76?

I might have been to harsh on the Red ragtops proportion, guilty as charged. IMO 15's have their place on any musclecar especially one that needs the traction of a DR or slick. That old school look will never get old. I got really bored with running high 11's at the track and decided I wanted more out of my car than just 1/4 mile blasts. So my car has evolved into more of a Triathlon athlete instead of a sprinter. And really good brakes dont fit under 15" wheels unless you have alot of $$$$. SO 18's get the nod.

What width and backspacing are you running on your wheels?

18x9 F 6.45bs + Dr. Diff rotors + 3/8" spacer, 18x12 R 9.2"bs on a 67 B body rear axle. The rears were 18x10 7.2"bs on a stock A body rear and fit pretty much perfect.

-
Back