The 360 is in, but I have a few questions.....

-

Raupleminze

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was able to help my brother put the 360 and 727 into his 71 Demon.

Everything went smoothly (no scratches, dents, or broken parts). However, I do have a few questions.

First off, he is running a set of HTC coated Heddman headers and it appears that one of the tubes is hitting the steering box. Has anybody else had this issue? I am guessing that we will have to pull the header and "clearance" the tube. Has anybody removed that driver side header without lifting the engine back out?

Secondly, during the install there was no way for us to drop it in with the passenger side headers on so we removed them. Any tips on the easiest way to install those? Should we do from the top or from the bottom? Also should these headers be used with a oil filter adapter of some sort? It looks like the filter will hit the headers or at least be a pain to remove since it is coming off the block at a 45 degree angle into them. The block is a 1995 Magnum 360 if that makes a difference.

Third and last (for now), it appears that the engine is not centered when you look at it from the center of the car. It is currently in a 340 K member from a 1970 Duster and I believe everything was done correctly. In the pic it looks like the middle of the K member does not line up with the middle of the engine (using the ballancer as a reference point). What should I be checking?

I am hoping to get these few things ironed out to continue progress on the build.

Thanks in advance guys!

-Brian

Raupleminze - The engines in A-body Mopars is offset approx. 1.25" to the passenger side. What you see is perfectly normal.

You may have to dent the header tube for steering clearance. An air impact is handy for this, be careful not to break through the tube. That is the only chance I can think of to put a clearance dent in the tube without removing them.

I used to run Hooker Super comps. I would fish the right side header in from underneath and maybe with the motor slightly lifted off of the mounts. You may want to remove the oil filter to help wiggle the header in.

Also put the starter in place before tightening the left (driver's header), you may need to move it a little to get the starter in place.

Third, what motor mounts did you use. If you used the stock style 340 mounts, then you should be ok with the engine position.

i know tti goes in from the bottom.worst case its easy to lift the engine the way it sits now.lots of room

Did you grind the magnum motor mounts down on the block, if not they will hold the headers out and not seal up.

krazy, we used factory mounts and factory 340 brackets.

sireland67, yes the casting was ground down to make room for the headers.

Now it appears we are running into a fitment issue regarding the oil pan and the centerlink. I believe the oil pan is a 1995 magnum 360 pan. Anybody ever run into this before?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

I was thinking centerlink, but they are the same for that year, /6 or V8.

Is it hitting the bottom of the pan?

If that's a truck pan, then I might be in the same boat, it looks like the one I bought which I was told was a car pan.

It seems to me a truck pan would hit the K frame, I could be confused on that. I just did some looking and I definitely have a car pan.

Look here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=277430

Are the engine mounts in good shape? Correct ones? I ran into the opposite problem before I converted to spool mounts......I got a pair of late van mounts (the rubbers) and they were way too thick

Looks like the valley of the pan is too low. What year 360 pan will work and will that pan work on a 95 magnum block?

Stock car 360 pan and pickup on the mag.
Take a clear pic of the pan you have, I cannot see what pan is on there now

Those mounts look really thin in thickness.
Did you buy off shore auto zone junk?

I was thinking centerlink, but they are the same for that year, /6 or V8.

Is it hitting the bottom of the pan?

If that's a truck pan, then I might be in the same boat, it looks like the one I bought which I was told was a car pan.

It seems to me a truck pan would hit the K frame, I could be confused on that. I just did some looking and I definitely have a car pan.

Look here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=277430

It appears that there will be no clearance for it. The engine is from a 95 Ram (I assume) since it is a 95 magnum 360. I am assuming that the truck pan is still on it.

I checked out the link you sent, i will have to get better pictures of the pan.

When I put the 360 in my 71 dart, we set the headers and "collapsed" them as the engine went in. REAL TIGHT FIT!! As for the steering joint, I had that problem as well, I have hooker 1 7/8 and didn't want to bash them so I put on a flaming river steering knuckle. Easy to do and works great. As for the center link, the pan was clear.

With that drop on that centerlink I would think it would fit.

Mounts are correct on the ears?

I believe the mounts are correct, here is a pic of the driver side. I will have to get one of the passenger side. You can also see another angle of the oil pan.

[ame="http://s184.photobucket.com/user/raupleminze/media/9F6D5438-49C8-4FB1-8B7F-8C0CE1FF667B_zpspjhbqlqm.png.html"]9F6D5438-49C8-4FB1-8B7F-8C0CE1FF667B_zpspjhbqlqm.png Photo by raupleminze | Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x34/raupleminze/9F6D5438-49C8-4FB1-8B7F-8C0CE1FF667B_zpspjhbqlqm.p@@AMEPARAM@@184.photobucket.com/albums/x34/raupleminze/9F6D5438-49C8-4FB1-8B7F-8C0CE1FF667B_zpspjhbqlqm.p[/ame]

Thanks

It all looks right to me. That certainly doesn't look like a truck pan.

What exactly is happening when you try to put the centerlink in?

To me the rubber mounts look thin, but you could always try to loosen all bolts on the motor and tranny mount.
Pull the motor up and then tighten the bolts.
But from the pictures the rubber engine mounts look like they are about 1/4" too short.
Where did you buy them from you never did answer my question?

-
Back