the 66 Barracuda (barn find? )

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
This is the 66 Barracuda that was in the "auto's for sale". It was for sale by a new/former FABO member.
( he only joined to sell the car) he is a Chevy guy who stumbled upon the car for $ 2000! I found it on local Craigslist and then seen it here on the forum. I think he started on Craigslist at $6500, I seen it for $5500.
I took a quick look at it and walked ( he had it warmed up and running). I waited a few days, and he said he'd take $4500. I told him I wanted to see it cold. He had got more gas and it was leaking (when over full). His garage was gassed out along with the attached house. He was saying please buy the car and get it out of here!! It would not start- fuel filter. He had an extra- I changed it and got it started. upon the second inspection
I accidentally found his bill of sale for $2000! I didn't say anything about it. But I walked again as I don't mind people making a buck (its the American way!) But telling me " I'll be losing money"? I don't take well being lied to! He said he had $400 in to exhaust ( I could see that). And payed a shop $600 for a tune up and breaks. The carb was shot and so was the gas still, so it still ran like crap. So I told him I'd come test drive and take a hard look underneath (for rust! ), and I'm bringing cash. I did so and NO RUST! I couldn't take it for as long as I wanted as it was running so bad I was wondering if I would make it back. I put $3800 in his hand, and he put the original 1966 title in my hand. ( he got from the original owner two months previous)
So far I've emptied the gas tank and put new gas in it (will change tank soon). Taken off 2 barrel and intake, and put on LD4B(sitting around shop) with a edelbrock 600 ($100 of craigslist). Now she blows one tire fire a block long!

sounds like you had a good deal ,got any pics

FYI, I highly doubt there's a barn on n.e. 127th here in Portland but there could be? I'm sure that was a sales pitch.

i'm glad ya got a nice car and it has a good home!!!

maybe that guy had been watching the T V show " flipping old Mopars for fun and profit"!!!?????? LOL

It's for my girlfriend and she was able to finally drive it I got it running.
She came back all smiles.:D

That seems like a great car and the price seems very fair.
I love original owner cars or ones that are mostly original.
Keep us updated.

Nice. I wonder if the dual exhaust is factory. At least in 65 Darts, the high-end Hi-Po engines had a special exhaust, but just one tube at the rear. 66 Barracuda's could be different. Don't believe the Desert Auto Kings cable show that claims the rear glass costs $2000. It is easy to get and makes those cars so unique.

Glad to see a member bought that car, and got it at a good price! Have fun with it, theyre great little cars!

And to answer Bills question above, no early A body ever came through with dual exhaust, only a Y pipe! The HiPo exhaust for these cars is really nice, if not just a little pricy, but probably worth it in the end!

If the car has dual exhaust and doesn't have the trans crossmember cutout for the passenger side pipe, I make a conversion crossmember to fix that problem for a flow through pipe! Message if you want info about that!

Nice car, it's a great start to a long journey ahead!! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 261
I remember when the guy posted it for sale here. Looked like a solid car and mostly stock.
Seeing how it was not the best running condition, I think you got a good deal. They don't make these anymore:shock:

Nice. I wonder if the dual exhaust is factory. At least in 65 Darts, the high-end Hi-Po engines had a special exhaust, but just one tube at the rear. 66 Barracuda's could be different. Don't believe the Desert Auto Kings cable show that claims the rear glass costs $2000. It is easy to get and makes those cars so unique.
LOL the rear glass thing lol! The seller tried to pull that $2000 glass thing and I almost fell on the street laughing! I have a friend a couple hours away in Eugene that's willing to pay my gas money to come get it out of his yard. Lol

I will keep everybody posted on how the car is coming along it is a very original car and most every aspect. And trust me I'll be asking questions as I need to learn about it more also. The dual exhaust was put on buy a cheap shop here in town and the workmanship shows it. I will probably end up changing a lot of it but still will keep a dual exhaust as my girlfriend who is the primary driver want something that sounds good and has a lot of poop.the current plan for the interior is new carpet and the front seats need to be restitched in a couple places and possibly the padding built back up and the visors need refurbishment. At that point the interior will be almost perfect. We plan on pulling the motor in the spring and doing a light rebuild maybe a little bit better cam a little bit better compression new bearings, rings nothing too crazy. And mostly clean it all up reseal it and clean up the motor compartment. Oh yeah, and some wheels and tires and drive it!

yea those back windows were really tuff!!!!!!! takes a lot to break one ( rifle, semi!?)

sounds like your girlfriend is a jewel!!

LOL the rear glass thing lol! The seller tried to pull that $2000 glass thing and I almost fell on the street laughing! I have a friend a couple hours away in Eugene that's willing to pay my gas money to come get it out of his yard. Lol

I don't think he liked it when I offered him 3 back windows in exchange for the car!! 2nd time I've offered that deal up to a seller, still no takers!!! :-(

Glad to see a member bought that car, and got it at a good price! Have fun with it, theyre great little cars!

And to answer Bills question above, no early A body ever came through with dual exhaust, only a Y pipe! The HiPo exhaust for these cars is really nice, if not just a little pricy, but probably worth it in the end!

If the car has dual exhaust and doesn't have the trans crossmember cutout for the passenger side pipe, I make a conversion crossmember to fix that problem for a flow through pipe! Message if you want info about that!

I bought one of these. Havent installed it yet but the fab work is great. I'll be sending my old one to you. I haven't forgot! Its still attached to the tranny. Hope to get it back in the car within the next month.

I will keep everybody posted on how the car is coming along it is a very original car and most every aspect. And trust me I'll be asking questions as I need to learn about it more also. The dual exhaust was put on buy a cheap shop here in town and the workmanship shows it. I will probably end up changing a lot of it but still will keep a dual exhaust as my girlfriend who is the primary driver want something that sounds good and has a lot of poop.the current plan for the interior is new carpet and the front seats need to be restitched in a couple places and possibly the padding built back up and the visors need refurbishment. At that point the interior will be almost perfect. We plan on pulling the motor in the spring and doing a light rebuild maybe a little bit better cam a little bit better compression new bearings, rings nothing too crazy. And mostly clean it all up reseal it and clean up the motor compartment. Oh yeah, and some wheels and tires and drive it!

kewl story and kewl deal! have fun with it!

that's a great modification, very innovative geof........
higgs

Great find!!! If that was local to me and that price & condition... I would have bought it in a heart beat running or not... (running is a plus though) Would be nice to have a 66 to go with my 65... Just Saying :D

Good luck with it...

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

-
Back