The 70 Duster......

-
Oh yeah....he said "the media blasters will be here Friday(tomorrow)"..... Seems like I have heard that before????

Attachments

• 70 Duster Roof Jan 2013.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 925
I have never even asked him, so I have no idea. When is the show?

I was planning to get the Duster suspension (that I took off a parts car a few years ago) torn apart so that I could get the control arms to the powder coaters while I was there. Just ran out of time. I did talk with Larry and he is going to build the front suspension so that once the Duster is painted. We can install the fresh powder coated K member and front suspension and the 8 3/4 that I had built a few years ago!! So I need to get a front end kit, torsion bars, shocks and a brake kit for the Duster pretty soon. This restoration brought to you by Visa, Discover, and MasterCard......if they have not cut me off yet....

Charger is progressing very nicely!

hope I'm not being an armchair quarterback....but why is the re-assembly being done in what appears to be a body shop (dust/dirt city)....and for cryin out
loud...put an air cleaner or CLEAN rag over the carb

sure is gonna be nice!

If you have ever lived in the Texas panhandle, you know there is a lot dust. The building is a metal storage building that is out in the country so sitting inside there 5-6 months, there is going to be dust.

If you go back and look, a carb plate was left on the motor up until this week. Once the carb was install, a rag was laid over the top. We removed the rag to take the picture. Then the rag went back in place. Also before the car leaves, it will get new oil and filter since the car has been sitting so long.

Ok, I'll buy that ....but I was gettin worried about ya'

Great job getting things moving. I am also getting progress making a 70 out of a 73. I also would do things different knowing what i know now.

Attachments

• IMG_0001_1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 872
  • IMG_0002_1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 872
  • IMG_0003_1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 864
Jensen ag.....nice looking project there!

The Duster is still not media blasted. The painter said the media blaster was having trouble with his equipment on Friday. Now the weather has turned to cold and doesn't look good for the next few days. So it sits waiting..

Waiting on some one else while a person watches, enough to drive a person crazy

The front suspension for the Duster, from a 73 A body parts car, was stripped down today by my dad. He is going to take them to the powder coaters in the morning.

The car is still sitting......

Ordered the wheels for the Charger. Just hope they clear the brakes! :fingers crossed:

Looks like the weather is suppose to get better this week so the Duster can be blasted! At least that is what I am being told now.

Started ordering parts for the Duster again......

PST Suspension.....
FEKSPDOD732 - Polygraphite Performance Super Front End Kit
Optional 11/16 tie rods and solid sleeves
SHPIVMOPA - Pivot Shafts
Bilstein Shocks - set of 4

Painter is "now saying" it will be media blasted tomorrow. I think I have heard that before.

It's not the big brown truck, but was still glad to see this one.......Duster is getting media blasted today! (another crappy cell phone pic from the body shop)

Attachments

• Media Blaster Jan 18, 2013.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 789
The Charger looks awesome. Glad to see the blaster made it. Can't wait to get mine on a roto and get it blasted as well. Then the new AMD full pan, tubs, connectors and, and, and ???? Of course it's sitting there asking me "Yo!, Joe WTF dude" LOL some day.

Thanks. I hope to have some more Charger pics the first of next week.

The Duster.....have no idea. I have tried to contact the guy but not getting any replies. So that has me a little worried. Last I heard he was going to let me know today what metal we needed to get for the car. I know the trunk spare tire wheel well area was pitted. My dad went out to check on the car while it was being media blasted. He said the front passengers floor had 3-4 small holes so I am think it will need at least the foot well area replaced. I talked to the body late last night and he was going to look it over closely today and get back to me today. But nothing so far....

The worst part of these rebuilds? Laying awake all night thinking of what needs to be done and in what order. What parts need to be ordered? Will this part work correctly with that one? If I go with this part will it look okay with that part? Then when the alarm goes off. You get up and start your workout, all you can think about is.....sleep!

Man you do excellent work. I come to Brashier Texas with my son to race there. I should just bring you my Duster shell on a rotisery. Nice job on both.

Just read your first post instead of looking at just the pics. Sorry for your deli-ma . I thought you were doing the work.

Man you do excellent work. I come to Brashier Texas with my son to race there. I should just bring you my Duster shell on a rotisery. Nice job on both.

Actually I have not done any of the work on either the Charger or the Duster. When the projects started I lived about 750 miles from where I store my cars. About a year and half ago we moved closer, so now I am only about 350 miles away. As my "screenname" implies, I am crazy about cars, but honestly not very mechanically inclined. I keep saying I am going to buy some land with a shop and drag one of my spare projects inside and "relearn as I go". It just hasn't happened yet.

Finally was able to get in touch with the Duster body man to find out what the Duster needed.

Ordered today......
AMD Trunk floor
AMD Floor Pan Right Side

Just left a message for the machine shop to work up the price on having either a 340 or 360 built for the Duster. Both motors have been disassembled and cleaned by them already. I ended up picking them up from the machine shop when the Duster project stalled. Mainly because I knew it would give me time to save money for a late model Hemi swap. I spent some time calling around and asking others trying to find a shop that was willing and able to do the swap. It was either, "we can do it but never have", or "drop us off the car without the motor and leave us a blank check". The only real quote I could get was about $25k plus the crate motor. However, I am not willing to spend that kind of money and I am ready to get the car buttoned up.

So the K-member was powder coated a couple of years ago. The rest of the front suspension is at the powder coaters now. The front suspension kit should be in mid-week. Then the shop that is working on the Charger is going to assemble the front suspension for the Duster. If I can get the motor and transmission built in time. I will have those sitting on the K-member and ready so that when the painter gets ready to have the suspension put back in place. We can lower the car down onto the motor, trans and front suspension that will be used. Then I won't have to worry about either pulling the K-frame again, or lowering the motor into place over fresh paint. The rear end was also built a couple of years ago along with the rear springs have already been rearched to factory specs. I just need to order a rear brake kit so that it will be complete when it goes in.

The tires for the Charger were ordered this morning. Hopefully the car will be sitting on the ground again early next week!

Since the Charger is getting close to being wrapped up. I bought some NOS 1971 Texas license plates for it today.

Charger is back on the ground!!!

Year One cast Rallyes and Nitto 450 tires.
17x8 fronts with 255/50/17
17x9 rears with 275/50/17

Anyway, just got some better pics from Larry.! Tires were only bolted on for a few minutes. So tread pattern is not in the correct direction. AND the drivers door is not closed all the way...

Attachments

• 71 Charger Down Side Jan 28, 2013.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 671
  • 71 Charger Jan 28, 2013.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 668
  • 71 Charger Front 17inch Rallye.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 680
  • 71 Charger Back Rallye.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 661
-
Back