The 70 Duster......

-
Going to see if I can get someone to stop in and snap a few pics of the car in the next couple of days.

Larry ran into an issue while installing the rear brakes. Nothing major, but the axle bearings that were installed when the rear end was rebuilt were RP400 bearings. The Wilwood brake kits calls for "snap ring" Green Bearings. We found out with the help of several forum members that DoctorDiff had the correct MO-400 snap ring bearings.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ordered today......
Pair MO-400 snap ring style Mopar "Green" wheel bearing kit includes 2 non-adjustable sealed bearings, 2 retainers, 2 gaskets and 2 lock rings.

Is it October (April) Fools day? I heard that the Duster is actually being worked again! Guess we will see what happens.......

I am on vacation starting today, may try to drive by and see if you know what froze over. You headed to town anytime soon?

I was going to come to town this weekend to race my RC car and check on the Charger and Duster. However I stayed home and started working on getting things together here at the house before mom, dad and the in-laws come in. It is finally starting to look like a house now that we finally got all the furniture in! The last big item, a tv cabinet that we had made, finally came in yesterday! Today, I spent the day trying to get the extra garage space cleaned out so I will have a place to park the Charger when it is done.

Plus, the DFW area swap meet is this weekend. So I will drive over tomorrow and Saturday to see if anything shows up.

As for my next trip to Amarillo. I may come up right after Thanksgiving or just before Christmas.

Ordered the following for the 71 Charger.....

Classic Industries.....
MD2541 - 71-74 B-E body gearshift torque bracket for T-handle floor shift
MD2379 - Mopar B/RB/H water pump pulley 2 groove (black)

Attachments

• ChargerNov20th2012 271.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 916
Pictures are horrible...but got 2 pics of the Duster.

Attachments

• 70 Duster Nov 2012 work maybe.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 924
Ordered the following for the 71 Charger.....

Classic Industries.....
MD2541 - 71-74 B-E body gearshift torque bracket for T-handle floor shift

were you in the Navy?

everytime I tune in to your thread you are buyin'/adding NEW goodies........

you spend money like a drunken sailor

LOL...just bustin on ya...that's all

Duster seems to have some progress on it....it's a start

When you start with a $400 rolling shell. You have to buy a lot of parts! You have no other choice!

Otherwise, most people that know me, might say that I am just a little "tight with money"! :)

I know what you mean....I had to build a couple of houses...just to launder the $$$$

IF is correct. I have been told that he hired some help to get the Duster done. I have no idea if he is telling me the truth though. Only time will tell. If he finishes the Duster it should be done about the same time that the other shop is done with the Charger. Then I can focus on getting the Duster done! I still have 2 more cars (71 SSP 383 with 42k miles and a 73 Barracuda 318 car) that I would love to have restored. However the Duster ordeal sometimes has me thinking about selling those and buying a really, really nice done car that is more "investment grade".

and the 73 Barracuda.... pics, of both cars, were on the day I bought them.

Attachments

• 73 Cuda Yellow FY1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 874
The 71 Satellite was purchased at the same dealership my parents bought their 71 Satellite Sebring Plus in 71. My orange car was purchased either just a couple of months before or a couple after. I would have to look at the paperwork again. My dad bought a lot of Mopars over the years and had been trying to buy the orange car since the late 70's-early 80's from the original owner. Well in, I think 2005, dad and I were out hunting parts for my 71 Dart and we decided to drive out and see if the orange 71 Satellite was still there. It was and it just so happened that they were talking about cleaning up the yard and selling the car. They said what they wanted for it, and I had to have it! I came home from the hospital in a 71 Satellite....

The Barracuda was purchased when we lived in Fort Worth the first time. That was back in 04-06. The car was listed on another Mopar site. It was sold here in the Dallas area according to the dealer nameplate that was faded into the tail panel. The emblem was in the trunk.

My original plan was that I wanted a Dodge A-B-E body and a Plymouth A-B-E body. I have that except the Dodge E-body. I may not complete my little collection. If I sell off the unfinished cars and buy 1 finished car. I hope to find a multi-carb car or a driver quality, older restoration wing car. I figure each of the cars would cost between 25-30k a piece. So 50-60k plus what I would have from the sell of my collection would be a good start on a better car.

You have quite a little collection going on. Good luck with your Duster, You have more patience than most people on here.

Hope to have some pics of the Duster pretty soon. The guy working on it said he would like to put new door hinges on the car. So last week I ordered them and got them here in time to send them home with my parents (visiting us for Thanksgiving). My dad is going to take the hinges out to the shop this week. If they can figure out the camera and computer again, I should have some pics of the progress on the Duster!!!!

no pics of the Duster... :(

My dad called the body man and told him he had the hinges for the Duster. The body wanted to pick them up from my parents house. So either it was just luck that he was near my parents house or did not want anyone out to his shop to see what the progress was, or was not???????

Also on the Charger. I had to cancel a backorder from Classic...backordered with a 30 day ETA

Ordered from Bouchillon Performance......
BPE4016 double groove water pump pulley for a A/C and P.S. - satin black -B/RB/H

I heard from Larry today. He said he got the old rear end out of the Charger. Then cleaned the underside of the car and applied a rust preventer and then undercoated the car. The new 8 3/4 is now fully assembled (with the disc brakes) and ready to go back in.

New parts that Larry got for the Charger.....
thermostat
alternator
PS pump
A/C Compressor
AC hose kit
AC mounts
AC Condenser
Coil
Axle U-bolts
Radiator cap
Vacuum lines
Rear brake hoses

Also I have been in contact with the shop that is working on the Duster.
Trunk lid, 1 of the doors, and one fender are all...DONE (as far as bodywork)
He is picking up a rotiessere this week so he can start on the bottom of the car once he finishes the other body panels. I am going to try find some detail pics of 71 Dusters with the V24 hood black out option so I can get them to the shop so he can have an idea of where the flat black (Organisol) should be applied and where the lines were from the factory.

I stopped in to check on the Duster project. He has worked on the car about this much, [ .... ]
Anyway, he said he is going to finish the car before he works on anything else.....right.... And it is "still" suppose to be going on the rotisserie this week. It will be soda/sand blasted on the underside of the car and the engine compartment. Then he prime those area and will weld in the the sub frame connectors. His plan is to spray the inside of the car, the jambs, the engine compartent, trunk compartment and the underside. Then bolt the car together and spray the entire outside while bolted together.

Also I stopped in and checked on the Charger. It is moving right along! The wheel lip moulding are on, headliner in, dash pad in, brake kit installed on front, rear brakes are installed on rear end (ready to bolt in the car), underside of car has been treated and undercoated, the inside floor pans have been coated (after he welded in the console mounts and cut the hole for shift linkage) and the Dynamat is installed. Carpet was going in. The console and steering column was getting sprayed blue when we were there. Some of the A/C items were being fitted and checked. The steering box is in. Alternator in place, more hoses ran.....etc..... It really almost looks like a car now!!!

Attachments

• 71 Charger Eng Comp Dec 2012.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 797
  • 71 Charger Front Brakes .jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 781
  • 71 Charger Interior Dec 2012.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 792
Ordered the rest of the exhaust system for the Charger today.

From TTi exhaust...........
B25HWM7174 - 2.5" Exhaust system from header back includes turndown tailpipes, Includes clamps, hangers & Dynomax mufflers.
TIP25-SLORG - 2.5" slotted exhaust w/ orange inserts slip-on style. Includes: stainless band clamps & rivets.

Hi man ... I´m confused

I read your thread in the last hour, while sitting in a hotel here in Germany.
It´s unbelievible for me, that your Duster isn´t on the street after such a long time. It can´t be true, that no work shop or body shop can do the work on that car for a fair price in a short time, because they get the money for their work !
But I think, you also have a problem with your distance to the shops... if you can´t stand in their door every week, your car is the looser !
Such firms would not get one cent from me, also not for work they had done on the car :violent1:... but as you wrote, money is not the problem for you... But who pay for your lost time ???

I´m a newcomer in the Moparscene and bought a 1970 Duster last October.
If you follow my posts to that restoration (have a look here:)

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=174858

you can see, that´s not a problem, to restore such a car within a year + 3 month. While reading your post I thought : Let him pick up the car and send it to Germany... I will fix him that car and send it back after 3-4 month, ok. it was only a thought - it can´t be, that you won´t find a serios shop for these works. ( ok, the paintjobs in Germany will mostly have a little better quality, but not a higher price ( I payed for that job around $3200 for my Duster) - but to ship the car twice over the ocean would be very crazy I mean ).... So here again to all the Americans : HELP that man ! :help:

I wish you a better end for the Dusterproject, but I think also, you had a dream from a big engine and some other goodies for the Duster before you cleared the main body work.

Paintjob: Sorry, but I must anything say about the paint job on the Charger... As we can see on your pics is blue paint on that overhault k-member, why can´t a good painter secure that parts before blasting with paint ? Your good ( black ) work were destroyed by this.

Thread : That is a DUSTER thread - why do you post so much pics from another project in it ? I´m a DUSTER freak and won´t read here only about Duster´s. No, that was a joke...:cheers:

Have a good time and all the best to you and your Dusterproject !!!

With greetings from Germany

Peter

-
Back