The average 408...

-
Reaction score
I look online at youtube videos and such of 408 dyno tests and see a lot of 'ported stock head' and 'eddy aluminum head' builds, most done by joe blow or joe blows machine service, and I gotta tell you...I'm not impressed.

when you can squeeze 440hp from a 10.5 street friendly 340 w/ ported x/J heads, but can't get you're 408 to make 475-500hp/torque? somethings wrong. Either these guy's idea of ported means smooth or they are messin something up.

http://video.google.com/videosearch...sult_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CBwQqwQwAw#

i guess it depends if you are on a happy dyno or a honest dyno

Sheesh, had to wade through a lot of Chevy BS to find all the Mopars! What do you think yours puts out? I would think 500 pounds of TQ should be real feasible with a 408, considering you can do it with a mild 440.......

Sheesh, had to wade through a lot of Chevy BS to find all the Mopars! What do you think yours puts out? I would think 500 pounds of TQ should be real feasible with a 408, considering you can do it with a mild 440.......

It had me thinking, if these guys and their ported j head 410, 950 carb& LD manifold only made that much, how much does mine make?
And how good or poor was there port job? I know the cam was small lift wise and not as fast of a profile/ramp...

They post no head flow #'s so I'll never know what they really had.

Whats the comp ratio on the aluminum head strokers? You need to be at least a full point higher than a similar iron head build with aluminum.

It had me thinking, if these guys and their ported j head 410, 950 carb& LD manifold only made that much, how much does mine make?
And how good or poor was there port job? I know the cam was small lift wise and not as fast of a profile/ramp...

They post no head flow #'s so I'll never know what they really had.

We all know that a simple carb/timing set up will make a 25HP difference, I guess in the end it comes down to how good it was tuned/matched. Being a stroker, I would think the HP would be less than the 340, build for build, but TQ should be way more. I would think. 500HP 500 pounds at 5300 shouldn't be too hard to get. At least, you would think it shouldn't be......

Not to mention with Big heads, big stroke, the bigger cam would add a HUGE amount more power than a smaller head/smaller stroke engine... Right?

yup. sad. my little home ported "302" headed 365 only made 540hp @ 6500 and 470ft-lbs @ 5000. that lack of horsepower was probably do to the gynormus 3/8" valve stems.

yup. don't know what the heads flow. and i don't wanna know. pulls good to 7k with zero valve float.
RyanJ said it couldn't be done. Guess i was wrong. sucks to be me.

yup. don't know what the heads flow. and i don't wanna know. pulls good to 7k with zero valve float.
RyanJ said it couldn't be done. Guess i was wrong. sucks to be me.

so has that very powerful engine ever been down the track?

Here's my build: 408 Stroker , short block built by Hughes Engines

-Forged internals, H-beam rods, 10:1 pistons
-Hughes Engines main stud girdle
-7 qt moroso pan, high volume melling oil pump
-Edelbrock heads, with Hughes Engines stage III porting, 2.05 intake, 1.60exh
-Hyd. roller cam. 576/576 lift int/exh. 256/258 deg. duration
-edelbrock victor 340 manifold, gasket and port matched to heads
-750 Mighty Demon carb
-Hughes Engines 1.6 Aluminum roller rockers
-Gear Drive, w/ custom timing cover and electric water pump
-TTI 1 5/8" - 1 3/4" Headers

Dyno'd @ 532 HP/520 FT. LBS

I went to the shop lase week and he still had the dyno sheet saved on his computer. He did about 10 different pulls, this one shows a peak horsepower of 533 @ 5900 RPM. Peak torque is 513 @ 5100 RPM...

He didn't print me out the one before this one where he made a jet change, and I got 520 FT LBS. Anyways, heres the dyno chart.

dynochart.jpg

yup. sad. my little home ported "302" headed 365 only made 540hp @ 6500 and 470ft-lbs @ 5000. that lack of horsepower was probably do to the gynormus 3/8" valve stems.

got sheet to post?

What shop dyno'd it?

What's the magical combo?

and at only 6500rpm with a 360 hmmm...

I mean, don't get me wrong, I really like my 302 heads...... I mean, really like them, put a ton of work into them, buuuuut........ Yeah, mmmmmhmmmm.....

Mopardude318..... 49psi oil pressure at 6K? Is that right? During a pull? Uhm......

360z,
why are you posting this crap ?

come on man...100%+ ve on 260 something cfm heads that would have to hold that to .600 which is where the cam would be lifting or around along with 11.1 and then whats the intake flow let alone were looking at a higher rpm unless exagerated flow like 300's cfm is there....

If you had the time & $$$ for this 540hp 360, you'd think you could afford an a-b-e body mopar.

Here's my build: 408 Stroker , short block built by Hughes Engines

-Forged internals, H-beam rods, 10:1 pistons
-Hughes Engines main stud girdle
-7 qt moroso pan, high volume melling oil pump
-Edelbrock heads, with Hughes Engines stage III porting, 2.05 intake, 1.60exh
-Hyd. roller cam. 576/576 lift int/exh. 256/258 deg. duration
-edelbrock victor 340 manifold, gasket and port matched to heads
-750 Mighty Demon carb
-Hughes Engines 1.6 Aluminum roller rockers
-Gear Drive, w/ custom timing cover and electric water pump
-TTI 1 5/8" - 1 3/4" Headers

Dyno'd @ 532 HP/520 FT. LBS

good #'s

I think I might be close or just below that [490-500ish hp] in my humble opinion.

Mopardude318..... 49psi oil pressure at 6K? Is that right? During a pull? Uhm......

I know about that low oil pressure issue. My dyno guy wasn't exactly sure what it could be, and he has seen it before a few times, but nothing was wrong with the engines. We changed to a high volume oil pump as well, it didn't affect the oil pressure..I talked to Dave at Hughes Engines as well, he is also aware of the oil pressure, but he said the engine will be fine as he said it's a"loose" engine if you will...I guess cause of the clearances of the main and rod bearings...

-
Back