The Demon

-

AbodyAaron

Reaction score
Hello all! I’m not gonna lie I don’t know how I ended up here, but I’m glad I did. I’ve been a life long Chevy fanatic and in my adult years I’ve built MANY Chevy trucks (specifically C-10s). Well there I was just minding my own Chevy business when I had recently posted my 1979 K30 Chevy dually for sale on Facebook marketplace. After a couple weeks I got a message from a somewhat local guy saying he’d like to trade for my truck and he had a cool car for the deal. He then a few minutes later sends a very descriptive synopsis of the car a TONS of pictures. He says it’s a 1971 Dodge Demon. Admittedly, as a car enthusiast I know what a demon is but I’d be lying to you all if I said I knew the cars well at all. What I do know is that the first car I can remember driving in as a kid was my dad’s red 340 Duster. I thought that car was so cool as a kid, and all I could think about looking at these pictures was that this car reminds of that car. Like any of us… I get over excited. He says he will bring the car over the next day for us both to check them out. He arrives and there it is… chopping it’s little cammed heart out. I’m trying not to act excited at this point.

He told me the car was restored in 1998 as a 340 clone (318 car originally) and the original owner had it painted and restored at that time. The 318 has been warmed up with a .30 over bore, forged pistons, port job on the heads/intake as well as 202 and 160 valves and a modern style Eddie intake. A Hugh’s whiplash cam was added and on the other side H-pipe 3” exhaust off the headman headers that seems very well done upon inspection. Electronic ignition and many more things were done maintenance wise on the car. The transmission is a slightly “built” 904 with a mild stall and reverse manual valve body. Then the real bummer… it has a peg legged 7 1/4 rear end. The fender tag confirms all of this and the numerous pictures and a STACK of records in a binder and pictures during the resto in 98. As I look over the car I can tell the people who have owned it clearly gave a ****. Very clean and nice for that old of a resto. I’m a little turned off by 340 tribute thing but after I drive it for the first time I’m immediately hooked. The car is pretty damn quick despite the 318 power plant. It handles like a go kart. Then…. It stops like absolute **** LOL. It has manual drums all the way around which I almost put through a tree on the test drive. Despite the drum situation I’m in love with the car. I want it. Bad. This is crazy to my surprise because of my previously mentioned Chevy fandom.

Well we both decide on making the deal straight up. I’m going to conservatively estimate my truck was worth 19k (probably 22 on a strong day to the right guy). I have no idea if I’m getting fair value in return. All I know at this point is this car makes me happy and I’m saying hell with it. We do the deal and swap titles. I take the car for its first venture to an impromptu “car show” with my buddies in Maryland this past month. An absolute hodgepodge of cars show up and the demon takes home the only “trophy” awarded that day that was picked by all the children. I feel like it’s rigged because the demon is the only car with paint that actually shines amongst all the patina trucks and hot rods. But man did I love it. The car is an amazing driver to and from the show and it gives me no **** whatsoever on a cold (38° F) winter day 1.5 hours each way.

Ive included some pictures so you can see the gamble I took. I’m sure I’ll find out it’s a horrible money “deal” from you guys who really know these cars but I cant remember caring less about the money when I drive this car. This past month I was able to hunt on marketplace and acquired an A body 8 3/4 rear complete brake to brake with a 3.23 sure grip center in a 489 carrier. The same guy sold me a set of later A body discs (which I learned from this forum!) to swap in. I got a power booster and these are the big upgrades I have planned for the car in the near future. I’m sure if you made it this far into the story you’re as crazy as I am . But I just wanted to share the story and proudly say I’m the biggest 40 year old Mopar convert you’ll ever meet! I look forward to the advice I’m sure going to need as well as I’m sure well deserved heckling!

Aaron

F75CB573-4154-438E-AE54-A05519FD0BF8.jpeg

CBD76DDB-6562-4498-974A-B0281F88C28E.jpeg

7CA4C92C-58EE-4D53-B1A4-E869C58F97CB.jpeg

B146EA0E-F8A8-42FC-9C7F-3F725070201F.jpeg

41E4CC24-F2CF-4305-BECE-548E5F37D2FE.jpeg

64A3D494-9820-4DE7-B6B7-34F99A73327E.jpeg

87B7203C-7697-472D-A446-FFBAD063CA38.jpeg

B93126F4-EE39-4938-BE2B-FA7C662D751A.jpeg

F3D7E051-4B7F-40D4-A289-8338BBEA0BA8.jpeg

Looks like a pretty sweet Demon to me, great color combination too. As far as value goes, you probably did ok, besides, sometimes the "smiles per mile" can't be measured in $$. It makes you happy when you're behind the wheel, what more is there?

:welcome: from :canada:

I have been a fan of C10 trucks for a long time, had half a dozen of them, plus friends have had some really sweet ones, lots of the members here are into other brands too.

Thank you for the reply and glad to hear it. The Chevy trucks will always have a special place in my heart as I have built many at this point, but man there’s something special about these old Mopar muscle cars. And my kids say the demon is their favorite so let’s get serious I have no choice!

welcome that's a beautiful car , for 19 grand if it's as good as it looks you got a good deal . Do a rear upgrade and haul *** .

welcome that's a beautiful car , for 19 grand if it's as good as it looks you got a good deal . Do a rear upgrade and haul *** .
Thank you! The paint actually looks like that in real life. Few dings and small scratches here and there but not very noticeable. The rear end will be the big project this year as it’s completely disassembled in my garage. Gonna drive her all year while I prep the rear for winter install!

Beautiful Demon! As we say in Georgia...you done good, lol. Seriously, looks like you came out on the better side of the deal.

Welcome to FABO!!

By the way, I used to drive through Warrenton on my way to Waynesboro PA from Virginia Beach. Drove through there many times. The only place I remember stopping was at a huge gun store. Would stop and buy ammo.

Very nice!! Like the color a lot too! And like someone above said, I'm a bit biased too as I have 2 Demons - a 71 Demon 340 and a 72 street/strip Demon. Cool old cars so welcome! The wealth of knowledge on FABO is incredible so ask and someone will help you out.

Forget the $$ aspect; you like it and that's what matters. Now go enjoy the heck out of it.

Beautiful Demon! As we say in Georgia...you done good, lol. Seriously, looks like you came out on the better side of the deal.

Welcome to FABO!!

By the way, I used to drive through Warrenton on my way to Waynesboro PA from Virginia Beach. Drove through there many times. The only place I remember stopping was at a huge gun store. Would stop and buy ammo.
Small world! Thank you for the kind words. I bet you’re taking about Clark Brothers (still here today!!!) shooting range out the side with a giant bear out front!

I think you did really well! Not too many of those Demons running around and as you can already tell it's a real head turner

Screw that bowtie truck, Man, You Got a KILLER RIDE DUDE! YOU THIEF! LOL Congrats Man, Welcome ( from Fl) to the Best bunch of People from All over!

Last edited:
You got my vote with that Demon. From the looks of it, someone put some TLC into it and it looks great. I got some GM in my blood too, but that Demon swap for the Chevy truck? I wouldn't look back for a moment. Congratulations!

Welcome to FABO from NY!

I am guessing you wore a mask during the trade as you clearly stole it! Best tail panel on the planet right there! No bias here. This site is a literal plethora of knowledge and opinions. You are in the right spot now! To quote one of the other earlier posts, welcome to the dark side! Just a absolute beautiful car.

Welcome from Texas, it's good to see another Demon put on the street. They hold a special place for me, unfortunately mine is race car only. It's too bad I can't find a decent street car at the moment in my price range.

That's a cool Demon. You did good. The Demon is worth more than the Duster, since they made way fewer of them. They usually command good money. Not surprised at the 318 either. They can be formidable when built right.

I just want to thank everyone for the warm response and welcomes. What a great crowd. I’ve always heard that the right car will find you. Mine just found me. Can’t wait for spring!

Glad you're happy with the deal, I would be. Looks amazing. I have a 71 as well and wouldn't trade/sell it for anything.
318’s take a lickin and keep on tickin.
Have fun!!!
Congrats!!!

Very nice!! Like the color a lot too! And like someone above said, I'm a bit biased too as I have 2 Demons - a 71 Demon 340 and a 72 street/strip Demon. Cool old cars so welcome! The wealth of knowledge on FABO is incredible so ask and someone will help you out.

Forget the $$ aspect; you like it and that's what matters. Now go enjoy the heck out of it.
Apparently @Ironracer disagrees ??

Welcome from Cali. You got a beautiful Demon there, one of my favorite color schemes. I’d say you did well in the trade not knowing the quality of your c10 but those things are crazy in the market right now. Whatever you do (Chevy guy) don’t call it a posi and don’t paint the engine compartment black. Welcome to the mopar club.

Very nice car!

Have you seen a 1970 Challenger SE Go Mango in Warrenton?

Welcome and nice Demon!!

Oh, props for sharing what you paid. While you don’t have to, you wouldn't believe how many people show pics of their new purchase then ask what it’s worth yet never share what they paid for it!

-
Back