The dummy and the diesel.........The Grey Whale

-
"They" are still there. hydrocodon 3x a day seems to help, but peters out before morning. I been wakin up 2-3AM. Today I slept clear to 5AM

My jaw thinks it has a minor toothache

"Progress" today was less than small. I'm happy to find the tail circuit short as you really should have headlights on at 3-3:30PM on an overcast day, now

I cranked in "max caster" with the new adjusters, but haven't checked it. The "kit" claims +/- 3* I have the front axle "tilted back" whichever that is.

I may make another "run" at the front end alignment if I can find a dry/ level spot, that will be tough coming up. It does not drive "terrible," just not that great for pretty much all-new parts!!!

Well ain't this just a piss cutter!!! Got the wiring all squared away, + 2 new amber bulbs in the front lamps. Got the little 6' camper set on but not bolted down RIGHT NEAR DARK and then some guy called wants to look at the donor. I told him I'd sell him "what's left" for 500. He came over after dark IN THE RAIN and said he'd take it. Tomorrow morn. I plan to bolt down the camper, hitch up the trailer with the donor on board, and haul it out to Post Falls, a ride of about 20mi round trip or so. That is, if he has the cash. Seems like a square guy, "you just kinda know"

Good luck on the sale, hope all goes well…… you just never know.

After you get the donor delivered and the trailer empty, can you pull the Grey Whale up on the trailer and work on getting the front end alignment finished?

That might be tough. With either truck (same WB) on the trailer, the rear tires are BARELY on the trailer, and there's a large toolbox in front. This limits access to the adjuster as well as just plain getting under there, plus, the tight quarters creates it's own danger.

"Maybe" lol

I MIGHT JUST TAKE THE REST OF THE WEEKEND OFF!!! Sold the remains of the donor for 500 and IT IS GONE!!!

Aug30 /22 TWO wheel drive 2500 diesel "grey whale" just hauled home the to-be-the-donor, a poorly running and driving 96 V10 4x4
IMG_1697cs.JPG

Nov 26/22--converted FOUR WD grey whale about to haul the "was" donor pickup off to it's "new owner"
IMG_1802.JPG

Last edited:
Scrap. I've had it for sale, and nobody seems interested.

I take it you're back from delivering the white one? How'd the grey do towing?

I MIGHT JUST TAKE THE REST OF THE WEEKEND OFF!!! Sold the remains of the donor for 500 and IT IS GONE!!!

Aug30 /22 TWO wheel drive 2500 diesel "grey whale" just hauled home the to-be-the-donor, a poorly running and driving 96 V10 4x4
View attachment 1716015550

Nov 26/22--converted FOUR WD grey whale about to haul the "was" donor pickup off to it's "new owner"
View attachment 1716015551
Great Job Dell! You Kick Tail! You are one Bad Dude! I hope you're feeling better Brother. More Prayers Sent

I take it you're back from delivering the white one? How'd the grey do towing?
Pretty good. It wanders a bit, I am hoping it is toe adjustment. I installed the new caster adjusters and just arbitrarily "cranked them" so the axle is all the way "laid back." They claim +/- 3* so I'm assuming I have about that at this point.

Again, at the moment, I don't have a shop or even a flat pad to set the darn thing up on. Someone asked about using my trailer as I did before, but there is LITTLE room on the trailer for the truck LOL Other issue now -on- out is weather.

Pretty good. It wanders a bit, I am hoping it is toe adjustment. I installed the new caster adjusters and just arbitrarily "cranked them" so the axle is all the way "laid back." They claim +/- 3* so I'm assuming I have about that at this point.

Again, at the moment, I don't have a shop or even a flat pad to set the darn thing up on. Someone asked about using my trailer as I did before, but there is LITTLE room on the trailer for the truck LOL Other issue now -on- out is weather.
Yeah with as little room on the trailer as you suggest, I'd call it a safety issue and leave that be.

I'm having the same problem with the Duster.. I can't find a flat or level piece of concrete around here to save my life! I've had a few people suggest using plywood, here and there, on here but with me man I don't even know where to attempt to level the car from( the frame? ) I'd rather just put it on a piece of level concrete and go from there. I did use crackbacks, and a few other people's suggestions, of a piece of wood on each tire to pull the toe in. Man, I tell you what, it does not look like something is damaged now (even though I rebuilt the entire front end) because when I brought the toe in and it pulled out the excessive camber ( wheel leaning so bad I thought I had a cracked k member mounting bolt or something...

Ever have that feeling "just in time?" This morning, not much snow, but it's predicted some more piddling along through the week. NOT a good time to be workin' on rigs outdoors. I have the pneumatic solenoid ordered to modify the vacuum axle control, along with some hose barbs, should be here next week.

Yesterday I went out to the much hated wallyworld and bought a new second battery--which actually went in the "near" box. What does stupid wallyworld do? THEY PUT THE HEAVIEST, LARGEST BATTERIES ON THE TOP SHELF

Actually it has been cranking and starting just fine on one battery, down to about 20F in the mornings

Probably ought to dig out the beat up antique Meyer plow and get it on the Farmall

IMG_3803.JPG

Last edited:
LOLOL we might have made a minor mistake. The original 2WD wheels would not fit the fronts--the steering arms hit the wheels. I had another set of wheels and tires--had been on the old "White Whale III" which I kept when I sold it. So I checked, and both the grey whale (new 4WD) and the WWIII tires were both 265-75, so I just rolled 2 out and threw them on the front. I FAILED TO NOTICE that the original grey whale wheels were SIXTEEN inch and the WWIII wheels now on the front, were SEVENTEEN INCH. So today, we had a REALLY slick day. City evidently is still on Thanksgiving vacation??? and haven't done **** anywhere. Even the main streets are SLICK!!!

So every few hundred feet the thing "chatters" a little bit!!! LOL --As one end catches up with the other

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are. lol

LOLOL we might have made a minor mistake. The original 2WD wheels would not fit the fronts--the steering arms hit the wheels. I had another set of wheels and tires--had been on the old "White Whale III" which I kept when I sold it. So I checked, and both the grey whale (new 4WD) and the WWIII tires were both 265-75, so I just rolled 2 out and threw them on the front. I FAILED TO NOTICE that the original grey whale wheels were SIXTEEN inch and the WWIII wheels now on the front, were SEVENTEEN INCH. So today, we had a REALLY slick day. City evidently is still on Thanksgiving vacation??? and haven't done **** anywhere. Even the main streets are SLICK!!!

So every few hundred feet the thing "chatters" a little bit!!! LOL --As one end catches up with the other
That’s not much difference but I bet it made for an awkward driving scenario on slick roads. On dry roads your ring/pinion gears would be hating life.
024E0A63-ACF0-40B4-AF46-5208B9474DE8.png

If I can, I'll "fix" this tomorrow. Snow is coming. The other two are "over the magic fence" and the way junk is in the road, I'll have to "walk" them up and over.

Slept on and off all the way to 5AM, got up, ate, fell asleep in the chair LOL till 8:15. I'm soon going out to try and dig out the "correct" tires, and get the antique Meyer blade on the Farmall. High for today about 24. Snow is coming tonight and tomorrow,

Last edited:
LOL!! Today I thought I'd "fix" the little fu where I ended up with the 17" wheels on front and 16's on rear. I could NOT get the left rear loose. Put 4 nuts back on with about 3/16" gap and drove clear down the alley and around the block, doing "s" turns and playing with the throttle--tho it is snowy and slick. TIGHT AS A DRUM!!! So i got out the torch and heated the heck out of the center wheel area with a rosebud for the win!!!

LOL!! Today I thought I'd "fix" the little fu where I ended up with the 17" wheels on front and 16's on rear. I could NOT get the left rear loose. Put 4 nuts back on with about 3/16" gap and drove clear down the alley and around the block, doing "s" turns and playing with the throttle--tho it is snowy and slick. TIGHT AS A DRUM!!! So i got out the torch and heated the heck out of the center wheel area with a rosebud for the win!!!
SUCCESS!! Sometimes it bees like that.

Well I "threw in the towel" and bought a posi-lok, just under 200 from Summit. My Christmas present I guess. This replaces the vacuum actuator on the front axle

My initial thoughts are "very good." That cable is huge, maybe 5/8 or larger OD. You can actuate the cable as it's wound up cold in the box as shown, with about a 7-8" diameter coil. I was impressed.

IMG_1807.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

So it's Sunday just after 6PM, the photo was taken about 5:30. Got the posilok all installed and working. It's 33F and tomorrow that might be the high. The rest of the week is supposed to be dry and cold, highs in the low 20's F and at least one day about 17F. THAT IS THE HIGH predicted

Got it all tested, here are the thoughts:

It works OK but not ALL that very impressed. I should have looked closer, the end crimped on the cable, which is also the "precision" shaft that makes it work, I believe is aluminum. The snap rings (E clips) don't have that positive feel when bottomed. I had to fiddle with them and look with a magnifier to convince myself they were seated. Also the shaft is sloppy fit in the fork, unlike OEM which was a very fine sliding fit. Not pressed, and not tight, but not a sloppy wobbly fit.

It is a bit difficult to get in and out of lock. I AM familiar with morse/ choke cable routing, and aware of how you must get it "relaxed" so it's not bound up. I was able to operate the cable when it arrived, coiled in about an 8" dia coil, so I think the difficult operation IS DUE to the sloppy shaft/ fork.

It's workable but the cable is (as instructions) anchored under the dash, and a LONG reach to try it while moving.

Destructions:

The mess hanging out to the right is effectively "plugging the hole" the long piece allows the shaft to operate, the end is the switch. I'm not going to even connect it. This being a 2WD cab/ dash cluster, does not have the wiring, etc for the lamp so far as I can determine. It is not really needed with this mechanical device

But all in all I'm happy.....so long as it holds together

IMG_3814.JPG

-
Back