The Emergency Brake is connected to the...

-

matthon

Reaction score
I have a 67 Barracuda with a 8 3/4 rear, and the e-brake cables were cut off just inside the backing plates.
I bought new cables.

It appears that I am missing the parking brake/emergency brake struts, 2 for each side.

My understanding is the Mopar part numbers are- 04126576 & 04126577. And the parking brake strut bar spring is available at NAPA, part number UP 80744.

NAPA does list the spring on-line.
I searched Mopar dealers on-line, with no success.
I searched this forum, and the results were that Rock-Auto, Advanced Auto, and others have these parts, but I found nothing. Year One lists the parts, but the pic and the description seems way off.
It also is not clear if there are 2 bars or 1 per side, how the bars and springs are placed, and how the cable attaches.

Does anyone know where these parts can be found?
Preferably on-line shipped to your address.

Does anyone have a detailed diagram or pics of the parking brake assembly inside the drums?

Does anyone know where these parts can be found?

I would go to a salvage yard and pull the parts you need off a van or truck with a 8 3/4 rear end.

Check over at allpar.com for brake diagrams.

Jim's Auto Parts and Peps Parts on eBag lists the struts with springs.

I have been unable to find a pic or diagram that shows how the cable attaches to the brakes, and how the struts are placed.

Peps ad:
This is a set of parking brake strut levers for 1965-72 A-body applications with 10" rear drum brakes. This set includes a pair of strut lever springs. Right side lever stamped with "R". Reference Chrysler part number 2534 666-7. One set required per vehicle.

I have been unable to find a pic or diagram that shows how the cable attaches to the brakes, and how the struts are placed.

Go to this page and scroll about 1/3 way down.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/brake-drums.html

The cable comes through the backing plate on the left, and the end goes through the emergency lever on the bottom right. You have to push the spring on the cable back a little and the lever has a fork in it that goes around the cable. The lever then goes up and behind the shoe. It has a hook at the other end that goes through a hole in the brake shoe near the top. The emergency strut makes sure that both shoes move together when the cable gets pulled. It is shown at the top of the picture going horizontal with the spring in the front.

Clear as mud, right?!?

The "emergency brake" is attached to ? An ambulance ? Just kidding around
I think the lever that the park brake cable attaches to and the strut bar with spring would be the same for any Chry' 10 inch drum brakes. I dont know why those wouldn't be the same.

-
Back