The engine of the future

-
It has no output shaft.

Interesting,....I'd imagine It should be fairly simple to engineer an output shaft onto one of the large center gears????,....Bet It ain't got the thump of our beloved V8's tho...

both central shafts turn (opposite directions), just use whichever turns the right direction. Unique but its still pretty small displacement. Im assuming its a Diesel without a spark source? I still think the rotary motor is crazy smart, and powerful.

Kinda reminds me of a rotary engine such as the one used in Mazdas. Inventive design, but poor longevity.

Seem the thrust against the sleeve would put a lot of stress on the right angle at the flywheel.

I see no advantage to it at all, and if there's ANY wear in the gear train, the massive parts failure will make an AA/F explosion look like a college freshman lighting a fart

First the rotary engine was to take over, then some weird engine which never made it to any cars.

If you read Motor Trend mags from the 1970's the thought was V8 engines and maybe gasoline engines all together would be gone by the 1990's

I'm making no guesses about the future but would not shock me if in 2050 there still be V8 engines in some normally priced cars

I know Carter--I mean Obama wants us to have 55 mpg cars by 2025 but look what Jmmy wanted and look what happen

First the rotary engine was to take over, then some weird engine which never made it to any cars.

If you read Motor Trend mags from the 1970's the thought was V8 engines and maybe gasoline engines all together would be gone by the 1990's

I'm making no guesses about the future but would not shock me if in 2050 there still be V8 engines in some normally priced cars

I know Carter--I mean Obama wants us to have 55 mpg cars by 2025 but look what Jmmy wanted and look what happen

Good points. Politics aside. It really doesn't matter how much gas milage is improved, the price will just keep rising with it. The days of cheap gas are over untill an alternate fuel source is developed.

The next engine improvement will have near zero emissions. Run completely on organic renewable resources. And will be quite easy to maintain. I happened to find a picture of the prototype and here it is for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• hamster.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 207
All seriousness aside, that thing is hardly "zero emissions."

$3 a gallon gas someday again won't shock me either. Well it will if Obama is still in office when it happens.

Remember those high mpg cars from 1980, those were to be what to come and for awhile it look to be true until the 1990's came around. Now 35 mpg on the highway is a big deal again.

I can't help to think what if these tiny cars-like the 2012 Buick's regal with a 4 banger will be thought as junk 25--30 years from now like the Chevy Chevette's are today. The 2 door gas hog cars-like GM Cutlass from the 1980's are bring in good money on ebay it seems, prices of $9,000 for a clean ride. The cars look sharp but the steering stinks, I recall driving those cars when fairly new. Doesn't seem to matter today. I see no Chevette's bring in good money but that was the car to have to save on fuel costs

That wont work. Theres nothing maintaining piston cylinder alignment. pistons and cylinders cross the centers of the rotating crank hubs so the power take off could only be the outer or side face(s). Cute cartoon though.

I see no advantage to it at all, and if there's ANY wear in the gear train, the massive parts failure will make an AA/F explosion look like a college freshman lighting a fart

Precisely! If the timing is off by a degree (or one tooth on the central cogs), it's instantly a large heap of scrap. Not nearly as forgiving as a captured piston internal combustion engine. It would literally beat itself apart before it would come to a stop.

Very interesting in theory, and design, practicality is a different story.

That wont work. Theres nothing maintaining piston cylinder alignment. pistons and cylinders cross the centers of the rotating crank hubs so the power take off could only be the outer or side face(s). Cute cartoon though.

They have a functioning propane model on that site, but it didn't power anything, just ran. The alignment of pistons was controlled by the gears they were attached to. It looked like all the round portions of the engine were actually gears.

Well, it looks as though they have a functioning prototype. they have figured out how to deliver fuel, and output power isn't really an issue.
From what I'm reading though the whole set up will be in an "oil bath". now that is going to create a new set of problems I would think. the cylinders are going to pick up oil which will hydro lock the pistons and if they were to fire, were would the exhaust gas go? That was just the fist thing off the top of my head. I'm sure there there is more to consider.

It doesn't really achieve any major accomplishment. You have one compression ignition cycle per revolution...same as a two stroke (which costs fuel).
You have an inherently more complicated drive system which adds considerable drag and weight.
You have no cooling system, and I highly doubt they have the materials research to build an engine that doesn't need to waste heat (If they did, they could just apply those materials to the modern four-stroke powerplant).

Most importantly...how are they getting the exhaust gasses out and the inlet gasses in? They're not, it's eating its own S**t.

It's bunk, just like Cycclone was. Some dork with a Solidworks program made a tabletop timewaster.

-
Back