the first rule of mopar club....

-

twentyshots

Reaction score
hi everybody-
i've been casually reading this site for a month now while simultaneously searching for a 1961 dodge lancer. the good news is that the car search is panning out, a deal is in the works and perhaps i'll be sharing that story down the road. BUT, all of this looking around has generated some general questions that, since i'm new to the mopar thing, i really don't know the answers to.

for instance, the guy i am in negotiations with has a car that is under 10,000 original miles and he hardly ever drove the thing while he owned it. i get that that is pretty unusual but is there some......idea....that keeping a car closest to it's original state makes it more.....valuable, purist, or legit or something? what fun is that? this is a lancer after all.....everyone tells me they are not very collectible. i do not care about that, i think it's a cool car. i'm not trying to put it in a museum.

the interior of the car is close to mint condition but the body is not. it's in PRETTY GOOD shape though. there are some dings here and there, paint chipping, stuff like that, but he also expressed finding another same color hood rather than body work and painting the car. i would totally paint the car because i think black would look better. am i jerk? am i breaking the rules??? obviously people paint cars all the time on this site....i'm just trying to figure out where he's coming from.

You can do whatever you want to it. Restorations are boring unless it's a factory hotrod in the first place.

i would totally paint the car because i think black would look better. am i jerk? am i breaking the rules??? obviously people paint cars all the time on this site....i'm just trying to figure out where he's coming from.

Bottom line, it's your car, do it your way.

If ya gotta lie to get the car and promise him a beyond amazing resto job, then promise him everything. Then do what ya want with it.

Resto guys cringe at the slightest waver. So F$%^* them!

If a resto guys whines and complains, tell'em he should have purchased it and you'll sell him the car for correction for 50,000 as a down payment. Kick his *** while your at it.

X 3 do it the way you want. You are the one who drives it

do whatever you will with it. its your car once you buy it. screw a concourse resto, all that money would be a waste. It's like restoring a slant six '70 Dart, pointless and not worth the time because the next person is just gonna rip that six out and shove whatever they can get their hands on in it

Am I the only one that thought this post was going a different direction because of the title? lol Only thing I could think of when I read the title is think about the "first rule of fight club" lol

I'm with everyone else, do what you want with it. If he wants to be anal with a LANCER than maybe he shouldn't be selling it.

Mopar tends to have probably the most anal retentive group of purists of nearly any old vehicle and I don't think any of them would shed any tears over a Lancer being repainted.

Welcome to the club

Attachments

• Lancer[1].JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 297
My first Mopar was a 1955 Plymouth Savoy 4-door... cool car that need a little ltc. But I was too afraid to do anything with the car, I thought i was sitting on a museum piece. So I never had any fun with it... and eventually sold it.

Just have fun and enjoy YOUR car the way YOU like it. :)

Do what you want but be prepared to catch some flack for it, no matter what your reasoning for doing it.

but he also expressed finding another same color hood rather than body work and painting the car.

Yeah, good luck with that. I can see going to a junk yard and finding a bumper cover for a 1999 Caravan that would match, but I hood for a '61 Lancer that will match and not need paint itself? Like I said: good luck with that. I take it this guy doesn't get out much...

am i jerk? am i breaking the rules??? obviously people paint cars all the time on this site....i'm just trying to figure out where he's coming from.

What rules? A gentlemen's agreement that you continue to let the car deteriorate? Stone chips, flaking paint, dents, dings, etc, expose the metal under the paint to the elements. Surface rust now becomes rust holes later. May take a while, sure, but eventually the car will need to be painted.

If the paint was in good shape, then you'd be sitting on a survivor, which puts the car into a different category on the collectability scale. If you've been to Carlisle or any of the other bigger shows then you'll see cars in the survivor tent that otherwise wouldn't get a second look on the show field.

After the deal is made it's your car to do with as you please. By selling to you he is releasing all responsibility of ownership to you. He longer has any say in what - or what doesn't happen - to the car.

Am I the only one that thought this post was going a different direction because of the title? lol Only thing I could think of when I read the title is think about the "first rule of fight club" lol
heh...yeah, that is where i got that from....but here we are talking about it..... oops!
Welcome to the club
thanks. nice pic too.....

Do what you want with it. Post pics soon!
i plan on it. seems like a good place to be here, sharing info.

thanks to everyone else for the replies too.....my gut feeling was exactly what you all are saying but after a few emails with they guy i was wondering if i should even drive the car! he wasn't an *** about it, he was just treating it like it was priceless or something and i didn't get that.

it's also good to get a feel for what i should or can do with the body issues. i know there is a small hole in the hood too, like a half inch in diameter. finding a pristine white hood AND trunk seems like crazy talk.
90% of the body is in really good shape though.

When it's your car, it's your car. Do what you want. No matter what you chose someone will dislike it, but they don't own it or drive it.

Buy it and cut it up. It's your car do as you please my duster has been hacked up and I'm glad. Mini tub, ladder bar suspension, cage, removed front inner fenders, he'll I am planning kn cutting most if the structure out of the doors too.

Rules are, there are no rules. Well maybe one . You don't put a Ford or Chevy in a Mopar but other then that go for it. I love cars, all cars. Weither its a Lancer or Savoy you've just saved a piece of Americana from the crusher. Don't cut a Lancer short , done the right way they can be a pretty cool cruiser. As fare as not driveing the car to save it? You would be doing it more harm then good. Alot of the parts in these old cars depend on lubrication to keep the seals from schrinking. They were made to be used. Go and have fun with it.

Bottom line, it's your car, do it your way.

If ya gotta lie to get the car and promise him a beyond amazing resto job, then promise him everything. Then do what ya want with it.

Resto guys cringe at the slightest waver. So F$%^* them!

If a resto guys whines and complains, tell'em he should have purchased it and you'll sell him the car for correction for 50,000 as a down payment. Kick his *** while your at it.
damit rob;tell him what you realy think X2 on what rob said.......Artie

Sometimes rear, low mileage cars are worth little..esp if they are 4 doors..been there , done that...my car had 17K miles on it. Other than the tires and battery, it was orginal. I sold it.

Have a '75 Duster with low mileage and we are doing iy up that way the kids want it. Was having a BLAST until I hurt myself.

It is your car..do what you want but expect a lot of wingnuts at cars shows, gas stations, etc..to nitpick at you. You will never be happy if you are not comfortable with the car.

Welcome aboard from my tiny province :)

Ian.

for the people who know me , i have a rare car here on the site , one of 50 is verry verry rare , my car is not the most desired .. but it is worth restoring .. MY WAY ! no seriously im restoring my car , but not 100 % , but maybe 80 out of 100 .. i have a 360 in it , it is white with burgundy interior but the rest is not stock ... its a low 12 sec car , and stock it was a mid 14s car on quarter mile , this is what i wanted and it looks plain jane , but as power and i respect the fact that its a rare car , but i never put my car all factory stock , they all have there little touches ... my cuda is not stock , my gF s duster is not too ... we build them the way we want ..

enjoy your car and live your dream !!

Don't cut a Lancer short , done the right way they can be a pretty cool cruiser.

oh, no disrespect at all......i think it's a great looking car and that's why i've been specifically looking for one.... in fact, i have seen many times on the web people refer to it as an "ugly duckling" or "quirky", or whatever... and i agree they are unusual, but not in a bad way. i think the car's contours are interesting.

thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. time to start saving for a paint/ body job.....
maybe i'll post the "before" pics when the car gets here in a few days.

that was what I thought of too- but the first rule of mopar club is....you ALWAYS talk about mopar club.

-
Back