The glory days. '64-'65

-

cojohnso

Reaction score
I believe the mid 60s were the "High Life" of US automotive manufacturer performance wars. And back then? If there was a '64 Ford Thunderbolt and a '64 lightweight Hemi Plymouth Savoy on the grounds? You could almost guarantee they would be meeting in the finals.

The article is interesting as Ford and Mopar jocky for positions. In the SS class and A/FX ranks. GM? Well someone had to watch from the stands?

https://www.motortrend.com/features...duction-cars-ever-january-1986-982-1318-74-1/

As far as "New vs Old school?" Give either the old Ford or Plymouth 15 lbs of boost and see what would happen? Lol.

If there was a '64 Ford Thunderbolt
Always read that the 427 Thunderbolt was'nt really very stable somehow.... 100 original cars, 40 wrecked at the track. No way for me to quantify..... I do know that Dodge/Plymouth "B"'s look very stable at the track, and happy to fly lol.

Always read that the 427 Thunderbolt was'nt really very stable somehow.... 100 original cars, 40 wrecked at the track.
Back in '85/'86 or so I used to hang-out in the garage of a very knowledgeable Y-block guy by the name of "Jerry C___."

So one day Jerry calls me and says, "Get yer *** over here, I got some history to show you."

So I went over there, and when I walked into the garage I saw what, to me, will forever be The Barn Find of All Barn Finds (FABO member Maxcustody's 426 Hemi Dart excluded, of course!). Somehow, Jerry got his hands on all original, unmolested T'bolt! It was covered in about 1/4" of dust and dirt, so I wasn't afraid to touch it, so the first thing I did was run my hands across the bumper and asked, "Is this what I think it is?"

And Jerry's response was, "Why does everyone touch the bumpers first? Lookit that friggin' engine!" (Except he didn't say "friggin'.)

I think Jerry may have run it up at Brainerd once or twice, but if memory serves I heard he either traded it, or sold it, to Jay Brown, the FE engine guy.

I miss those days.

Always read that the 427 Thunderbolt was'nt really very stable somehow.... 100 original cars, 40 wrecked at the track. No way for me to quantify..... I do know that Dodge/Plymouth "B"'s look very stable at the track, and happy to fly lol.
Yeah. I helped an acquaintance that had a 427 SOHC Cammer in a Galaxy. That thing was nearly impossible to tune. (At least old school in days gone by.) Last I heard. It never ran to its desired potential.

-
Back