The Golden Commandos!

-

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
While me and my buddy Joakim attended Carlisle on the first day we stopped and talked to the gentlemen who found the original Golden Commando Barracuda that was raced in the 1960ies. Tim Costello did a photo shoot on it for a future article. A well done restoration and the sound from it gave me goose bumps!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 001.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 278
  • 002.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 281
  • 004.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 295
  • 009.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 310
  • 007.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 008.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 293
yep got see it race in Wichita KS some time in the 60s.. and the mopar A / F X cars. aka altered wheel base. course i saw lots of exhibition cars in Tulsa in late 60s. Hurst Hemi under glass, little red wagon. you might not remember this one. the hurst hairy Oldsmobile. TWO olds Toronado engines, and drivetrain. on nitro, one in front one in back. WITH bolwers. in a 442 body. iam NOT telling a story, its true.

Thanks for posting those pictures!
Here is what it looked like before the restoration.

Attachments

• AsFound.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 217
  • ray-and-bruce.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 226
That is so cool Ulf. Hope you guys had a good time at Carlisle. tmm

Attachments

• JohnDalifiorGoldenCommandosCuda.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 210
  • uv15.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 201
  • af8.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 208
Cool piece of history!!!! Must have been fun banging the gears down the strip.

yep got see it race in Wichita KS some time in the 60s.. and the mopar A / F X cars. aka altered wheel base. course i saw lots of exhibition cars in Tulsa in late 60s. Hurst Hemi under glass, little red wagon. you might not remember this one. the hurst hairy Oldsmobile. TWO olds Toronado engines, and drivetrain. on nitro, one in front one in back. WITH bolwers. in a 442 body. iam NOT telling a story, its true.

You're 100% right, Moe. I remember the Hurst Hairy Olds well. Two blown 425" Olds and two Toronado transaxles - each engine rated about 1200 horsepower. What most don't realize is it also had two cable-operated shifters (one for each transaxle), two accelerator pedals, and separate instrumentation for each engine - including separate tachs. And 4-wheel burnouts!
Check out the internet for pics.

I remember that car from hot rod mags. It was something like what Tommy Ivo wouldda drove.

the 4 wheel burn out. yep the smoke covered the track side to side 2-3 ft deep. i read a artical some where. the people running it said they had trouble steering it caused the engine power flexed the steering parts. and the engines kept fitting each other.

The Hurst Hairy Olds.....Driven by "Gentleman" Joe Shubeck.
The car would tend to want to rise in the front slightly unloading
the front tires causing a curtain of smoke that was very hard for
the driver to see through. It was retired after a few terrifying
"incidents".

-
Back