"The Hobby Is Dying"

-
People have been claiming that "hot rodding" is dying for decades. A particular type of building of cars comes on the scene & runs it's course. Sometimes it lives a long life, other times not. Just research back to the beginning of the scene to shortly after WW II & see how & where it went from there.
I heard all my 63 years that the world will end soon

Worst case is I'll be burning white lightning brewed locally. :D

Worst case is I'll be burning white lightning brewed locally. :D

Oil and Insurance is what runs our country. Push the big boys around and it will get ugly. I think you can save that white lightning for your drinking glass lol.....

JW

I would not say it's diying but maybe shifting, I don't suppose any of you watch boosted boy's youtube channel but the kid has a couple hundred thousand followers. He just finished sick week with his mid 9 second Honda, he built the motor 5 years ago when he was is high school. Now how fast was your high school beater and would your 9 second Mopar comepleat a drag and drive with a mid 9 second average?

Last edited:
The Hollywood Knights...Smitty:
Everything changes, you know that. Nothing stays the same.

Hollywood-Knights-Smittys-Speed-Shop_720x.jpg

I would not say it's diying but maybe shifting, I don't suppose any of you watch boosed boy's youtube channel but the kid has a couple hundred thousand followers. He just finished sick week with his mid 9 second Honda, he built the motor 5 years ago when he was is high school. Now how fast was your high school beater and would your 9 second Mopar comepleat a drag and drive with a mid 9 second average?

I just checked it out. 1M followers! Very entertaining. The part where he runs into Frieburger and Finnegan at a gas station is pretty funny. Looks like those guys are having a lot of fun.

Being one of the under 20 years old crowd I would say the hobby is not really dying, but interest in it definitely has. One thing that I have noticed with some of my school friends is that kids nowadays do not have any drive. Most of the kids at my school (i'd say 90%) are just floating around waiting for something to click or waiting on their parents to give them instructions on how to act and live.
There is a lack of stones in people now; no initiative, and no goals. They just follow the latest trends and try to stick to the mob. I have always loved cars and especially muscle cars. Last year when I just turned 16 I went job hunting because I wanted a muscle car. I got a job working 4am-6am. I saved and bought my duster for $1700. Then I spent almost all of my time just working on the thing to get it going the way I wanted it. Hell I am still working at it.
If anyone my age decided they wanted to get into the hobby, then they would try and find the easiest way possible to do so. There is no concept of "if you want something you need to work for it" anymore. It also does not help that most every person who is selling an old car wants top barrett-jackson prices for them. or they just do not entertain the idea of anyone new getting into the hobby.
When I went to my first cruise night in the duster last year there were at least 40-50 people (crotchety old dudes) just ripping my car to shreds. pointing out every little detail that was wrong and just being pieces of ****. Then they got into their kia or new ford truck and leave. like what the hell.
Only THREE people were encouraging of a young guy getting into the hobby and were nice.
So those are my reasons why the hobby is slowing or seems like it is dying.
wow very well said( bringing me back 20 years ago ..i was the new kid on the block in 2002 when i was 17 , at 19 my 74 cuda was restored and yes..being young and dumb i almost had 100k in it....it won major competitions , was in magazines , was on tv , had sponsors ...i was really happy ( i tought i was...) , but everyone bashed at me because the cuda was lowered , customized and very highly modified...it was a basket case when i bought it and my dad back then was a major player in the car s restoration...i quit the scene after 4 years of glory , turned back on my long dream of representing mopar performance in new york and detroit ( im from montreal ) and stopped the car shows forever and almost the muscle car stuff ...until i bought a ratty solid duster that had duct tape on it with a ugly *** paint job , it was loud...it was ugly..i had everything wrong but you know what i was the happiest kid around , driving my 400 hp ugly *** duster and didnt give a **** about what purist and newer guys with their plastic challenger srt8 ( 2008 1st gen ) had in mind , i had my car and it was mine , be proud , enjoy and if you dont feel good at someplace , leave and free your mind, you look like a kid who has a good heart , live your life and enjoy your hobby !

1923392_12955850022_7901_n.jpg

received_10158143955795023.jpeg

received_10158143934260023.jpeg

1909462_118525375022_8291_n.jpg

1909462_118522640022_9034_n.jpg

Being one of the under 20 years old crowd I would say the hobby is not really dying, but interest in it definitely has. One thing that I have noticed with some of my school friends is that kids nowadays do not have any drive. Most of the kids at my school (i'd say 90%) are just floating around waiting for something to click or waiting on their parents to give them instructions on how to act and live.
There is a lack of stones in people now; no initiative, and no goals. They just follow the latest trends and try to stick to the mob. I have always loved cars and especially muscle cars. Last year when I just turned 16 I went job hunting because I wanted a muscle car. I got a job working 4am-6am. I saved and bought my duster for $1700. Then I spent almost all of my time just working on the thing to get it going the way I wanted it. Hell I am still working at it.
If anyone my age decided they wanted to get into the hobby, then they would try and find the easiest way possible to do so. There is no concept of "if you want something you need to work for it" anymore. It also does not help that most every person who is selling an old car wants top barrett-jackson prices for them. or they just do not entertain the idea of anyone new getting into the hobby.
When I went to my first cruise night in the duster last year there were at least 40-50 people (crotchety old dudes) just ripping my car to shreds. pointing out every little detail that was wrong and just being pieces of ****. Then they got into their kia or new ford truck and leave. like what the hell.
Only THREE people were encouraging of a young guy getting into the hobby and were nice.
So those are my reasons why the hobby is slowing or seems like it is dying.
Man, not to be Hateful, but Screw people like that! I'm Proud that YOU are doing it! I lied about my age to get my first job ( working till 2 am) and still in 8th grade! Keep it up, and don't let Non Supporters bring Ya down! If You were in our town, We'd be HELPING YOU!

Last edited:
In our car hobby, we need to satisfy our self selves as to what car we want, how we want, how we will get it like we want. Others opinions may or may not matter. Well the wife's matter, especially if she holds the checkbook!!! But does she really car what kind of tires you run!??:poke:

Man, not to be Hateful, but Screw people like that! I'm Proud that YOU are doing it! I lied about my age to get my first job ( working till 2 am) and still in 8th grade! Keep it up, and don't let Non Supporters bring Ya down! If You were in our town, We'd be HELPING YOU!
Oh and speaking of getting people into the hobby, I drove the duster to school today (am in government currently) and one of my friends who was all into japanese cars and new car performance came early to see it. He has been following the car's progression on instagram and he has always wanted to see it in person. So he and his siblings came over to hear it and see it and his sister was scared of it, he loved every second especially when I let him sit in it and rev it, and when we were walking to class after we got told to shut it off, his little brother said "I want a hot rod now too". Best feeling in the world. We were told to shut it off after only like 10 6000+ rpm revs because the parking lot is adjacent to the elementary classrooms and it was scaring the crap out of the kids and the parents:lol: I love it so much

^^^If your old Mopar can't rattle the neighbors widows, it ain't loud enough! Assuming he lives at least 1/4 mile away!!!:thankyou::steering::thumbsup:

^^^If your old Mopar can't rattle the neighbors widows, it ain't loud enough! Assuming he lives at least 1/4 mile away!!!:thankyou::steering::thumbsup:
I don't know where he lives, but it definitely rattles windows. on the street coming into school It set of a civics car alarm:lol: I wasn't even hot rodding either I was just part throttle getting up to speed

-
Back