The hunt for good 66 Dart tail-lights.WTB.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

pettybludart

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Contact seller
I,m looking to buy some 66 Dart tail-lights with no pitting and good chrome(I know..good luck)I,m even interested in good single ones as I have a bunch and can make a set of 4.Let me know what you have with pics.Please no junk:angry7:.Thanks.

P.S Lenses not important.

And yet another item for us to repop. When I win the Lottery. LOL Remember the white 66 that started it all? The taillights were perfect. I asked the owner where he found them and he said "last year at the swap meet" They were NOS. I about barfed!. A customer of mine is restoring a 57 Chevy Cameo and his tail light housings are as bad as any I've seen. He somehow gets the chrome off and da's the pits out. (or as many as he can get out) Then he polishes them and clearcoats them. He turns them from a #1 to a good 8 1/2 or a 9 on a 1-10 scale. I've got to try that. Good luck with your search and a bump to the top.

I have a couple good ones out of the dozen that I have,so a couple decent ones would be all I need.These are for my 66 Dart race car thats getting painted.It would just help the car look nicer with new paint.8)

Scott what about sending them our for re chroming ?
I did,but the guy said the pitting would make bigger holes after dipping and to fix would be $700(silver soldering) plus $300 for chroming.NOT!Nobody is re-popping the 66 Dart tail-light housings,so need to find some southern ones with no pitting(which is basically impossible)

Well I'm gonna start powdercoating soon. I would be willing to give maybe the worst couple a try at coating. With chrome powdercoating I've read that items with pitting can be media blasted and then the pits filled with a metal putty. Sand them smooth and then coat them.

Riddler

I have some pot metal kit repair coming/ordered, I haven't tried it yet. It's from Muggy weld, I've read good reviews, and it's not expensive either. I need some practice mat'l, LoL, I'll try on your worst ones for free. But still a bit steep for re-chroming.

Giles,your more than welcome to practice on a couple of the pitted ones(hope you have a big bucket of putty?LOL)If it comes down to it,I,ll just paint the suckers with chrome paint.After all it,s just mostly a race car(very little street)but need blinkers and brake lights for those times I do drive it on the street(mostly after tuning)Will think about your offer Joe.Thanks.

ive seen a product advertsed in several magazines such as good guys,, rod and custom,,,even see it on jay lenos garage,,it may still be on his web site,,,they do a video showing the process,,,

its looks as good as chrome,, seeing the process will blow your mind,,,

but has several steps involved so doing it at home,,for a one time project i have no clue the cost involved,, if your intrested ill get all the info and product name next issue that comes in the mail

there is a topic on it in april rod and custom,,,,its in the topic of making window garnish fit after a roof chop,,,,you can bondo your pit holes,,sand it prime it, srpray chrome it,, trust me it looks KILLER

I,ve seen a thread on a guy redoing a bumper with Killer Chrome.If this is the stuff you speak of,I,ve seen it.Thanks for the heads up.:read2:

I,ve seen a thread on a guy redoing a bumper with Killer Chrome.If this is the stuff you speak of,I,ve seen it.Thanks for the heads up.:read2:

no its not the killer chrome in a spray can totally different,,, look over on jay lenos garage see if the video is still there or pick up april rod and custom

it is not a simple spray can deal,, it is a pretty envolved process,,it was either invented because of the world wide EPA crap or because it allows the repair of heavily pitted pot metal,,to be fixed with bondo,,,or what ever material you need to do any metal repair, then this new process looks amazing,,

in april rod and custom,,this topic is in the section where they cut and chop a street rod inside window garnish molding,,,weld it fill the bad areas then do this chroming process,,,,

Wow,not one offer?I thought maybe somebody needing cash would check out some 66 Darts while at the wrecking yard fetching parts?Maybe not?

there is a mopar only yard in phoenix az,,,he use to have tons of tail lites,but its been 20 years since ive been there,,,what about those knuckel heads you got your quarter from ??? did you get that yet?? or are they too busy playing TV stars now??

Like most here , all the 66 cars are gone, but I have not gave up the hunt yet here in my part of the country :happy10:

Look at this lense if you are looking for one They ship to Canada, buy it now $16

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a4634603
Thanks for the help searching MeMike,but I have a dozen pitted tailights with lenses.I need good housings that hold the lenses.

Fstfsh66,yes I have recieved the 1/4 from Desert Valley.I,ve trimmed all the unwanted metal away(drilling lots of spotwelds)and have the old 1/4 off.My friend Ed(66 Dartman)just needs to trim and fit the new 1/4 then weld it on.Here,s a couple pics for your enjoyment LOL.
View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 132.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 134.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 167.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 163.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 183.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 181.jpg

More pics in my thread in Early-A disscussions...Finally the 66 Dart is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back