The Jig ?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Looking for a Jig that's used in cutting a rear housing. To the best of my knowledge there is a lug that slips into the ends you are putting on and also two lugs that are fastened down by tightening the bearing cap bolts at the center section. These 4 lugs have a hole drilled in the center to allow a steel rod to pass the entire length of the housing and keep it straight while welding on the new ends. Has anyone ever built one of these before? Where would a person buy one if he wanted one? Would anyone be interested in buying a jig if i made some. Cost is unknown at this time but i guess i'll get started on one. I have a lot of Danas that need cut down.
Small Block

I got these done for $75 by a friend using some scrap material from a project he had going on. Spent $44 for the alignment bar. Some of the best money I've spent.

Left to right Dana 60 Carrier, 8.75 Carrier, Housing end pucks. Got two of each.

pucks-1.jpg

If you have a lathe and the tools, you can make a few bucks as long as materials don't kill you.

The chassisworks one is nice, but, $450... yikes If you were going to do many other brands then it might be ok. I only do D60 and 8.75 rears.

smallblock,if you weren't so far away id send you mine its home made but works grate.I used a hydraulic shaft for the center bar 1inch.and its heavy.wen id do them I take the ends put them in a lath and open them up to slide over the ends makes it good to weld.I like doing that instead of butt welding..if you pay for shipping I can send you the centering pucks to use and get measurements you will have to get a shaft cuz I don't know how I would send it its 7ft. long and about 20lbs in wt.let me know it will be in the mail tomorrow....Artie

I've been seriously thinking about going into this myself, thanks for the heads up crackedback. What are the dimensions of your mandrels?
Anyone got some pics of a narrowed housing together before welding?
That would be greatly appreciated.
Welding is not a problem for me, i am a journeyman. It's the fit up that i'm interested in.
Thanks,
Tom.

That's what i'm looking for Cracked. I'd like the full length rod as Artie has. Never thought or a cylinder rod. Good stuff here. I have the aluminum slugs to make em with but if anyone can do some measuring and post up some measurements. Thanks guys.
Small Block

I got these done for $75 by a friend using some scrap material from a project he had going on. Spent $44 for the alignment bar. Some of the best money I've spent.

Left to right Dana 60 Carrier, 8.75 Carrier, Housing end pucks. Got two of each.

pucks-1.jpg

If you have a lathe and the tools, you can make a few bucks as long as materials don't kill you.

The chassisworks one is nice, but, $450... yikes If you were going to do many other brands then it might be ok. I only do D60 and 8.75 rears.

I need my rear narrowed....in my Demon that is.....

That's what i'm looking for Cracked. I'd like the full length rod as Artie has. Never thought or a cylinder rod. Good stuff here. I have the aluminum slugs to make em with but if anyone can do some measuring and post up some measurements. Thanks guys.
Small Block

my boss had a jig made for the d60 we make. what measurments u need?

Best place to get measurements is the outer race diameter for the carrier and axle bearing from an SKF catalog or the like.

Here are what mine are cut measured with a very-near caliper. LOL

D60 - 3.813
8.75 - 3.265
End - 2.875

1.25" od hole in each

Place to get a 1.25" turned ground and polished bar.

http://www.speedymetals.com/ps-1625-101-1-14-rd-1045-turned-ground-polished-000-001.aspx

There's is no need to have a full length bar. The bar located off the carrier mandrels/pucks will do the job going to one side at a time. I know that it makes people warm and fuzzy doing both side and a full length bar, it's just not required to properly shorten a rear. I have a 60" bar but could easily get away with a 48" for the stuff I do.

I need my rear narrowed....in my Demon that is.....

I'm so glad you made that perfectly clear!

If you want to have one done, I'm game. New ends make it much easier cause I don't have a lathe. I might be able to bring the stuff next time I'm headed to LV.

-
Back