The lakewood bell install or should I say "NOT".

-

moparlee

64 Valiant
Reaction score
Man am I up against a fight for sure here! I will be trying to post some pictures of this deal. I got the bell from Mancini Racing on sell and going to try and use Brewer's 10.5 conversion stuff. I got the Centerforce Dual Friction set up with McLeod SFI 130 tooth flywheel too from Brewer's. Got it all in this week.

If there is any shots that you want or need let me know. I'm trying to work on it for the rest of tonight and tomorrow night. I'm a third shifter, so. Not sure how much I'm going to get done, but...........I'm working on it again.

Wow, I don't think that I'm going to get this to work. Passenger side is hitting the floor board right at the pinch point. I'll post some pictures of it tonight. I might just get one of the two stock bell housings that will work for this conversion and be done with it. Which sucks, but I guess I'll have a new Lakewood for sale. I'm not going to change my floor board for this. Surely the stock stuff doesn't need this.

I don't what the difference with your lakewood and mine but mine fit. I bought the car with it already installed however. I found that when I did the engine change that the lakewood is a very indestructible piece of material. lol

Is it hitting the body seam. If so you'll either have to trim it or pound the hell out it pushing up against the floor.

I hate to pour water on your fire, but I hope to heck you check that bell for alignment. I've only personally been around 6 specific Lakewood installs over the years (that we checked) and every one of 'em needed to be corrected.

Is it hitting the body seam. If so you'll either have to trim it or pound the hell out it pushing up against the floor.

Oh man... I hate to say this but I don't have a early A body.... mine is a 67 cuda. I will have to start paying more attention. Sorry about that.

Ya, I have pounded the body seem and I'm still hitting the trans still lacks about 1 in or more to going up high enough.

Here's a few picture. I'll post pictures of the interference tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_7173.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_7176.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_7182.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_7205.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_7186.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_7206.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_7211.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_7187.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_7183.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 380
Here are some shots. I'm not going to proceed with this bell housing. I guess I might put up a trade on mopar parts, anything from BB stuff to SB stuff or Early Hemi Stuff. Not caring I guess.

So now I'm going to just look for one of the stock bellhousings. I'm wanting the 10.5 clutch stuff for sure just for ease of buying stuff for it.

Anybody here do the 10.5 clutch conversion deal?

Attachments

• IMG_7217.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_7216.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_7215.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_7214.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_7213.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 361
Here are some shots. I'm not going to proceed with this bell housing. I guess I might put up a trade on mopar parts, anything from BB stuff to SB stuff or Early Hemi Stuff. Not caring I guess.

So now I'm going to just look for one of the stock bellhousings. I'm wanting the 10.5 clutch stuff for sure just for ease of buying stuff for it.

Anybody here do the 10.5 clutch conversion deal?

Yes, on my 64 Dart post car. It has the stock 10.5 bell however I'm going to go with the QuickTime bell.

I have everything you need to install your 4spd. I have bells and all components. I will be intersted in trading for your setup to use on a dragcar. I can send picks if needed. Make a list. Everything I have is clean and painted and stocked on shelves I have several setups. Steve

Which bell housing did you use? You got some pictures of the install?

I have build thread on this site, let me see if I can find it.

This was the initial mod I made when test fitting the lakewood. picture dosen't show the seam that I pounded flat. I also pounded out the front of the tunnel as well as the cutouts that you can see in the pic

Attachments

• Trans Tunnel.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 303
Gotta ask a dumb question but are you sure that is the correct bell housing for the early a body? They could've sent you a 67+ a body bell housing by mistake.

Gotta ask a dumb question but are you sure that is the correct bell housing for the early a body? They could've sent you a 67+ a body bell housing by mistake.

As far as I know they only have one bellhousing for SB Mopar that uses the mopar 833 trans.

I have everything you need to install your 4spd. I have bells and all components. I will be intersted in trading for your setup to use on a dragcar. I can send picks if needed. Make a list. Everything I have is clean and painted and stocked on shelves I have several setups. Steve

PM'd you.

I have build thread on this site, let me see if I can find it.

This was the initial mod I made when test fitting the lakewood. picture dosen't show the seam that I pounded flat. I also pounded out the front of the tunnel as well as the cutouts that you can see in the pic

I'll try and find the thread. Thanks.

Your cross member looks to be on backwards...

Well, I got the 734 bell on that I got from a member here. That's as far as I got tonight, well I cleaned all the threads in it. It's a nice one for sure. I weighed things too, if any one is interested in that I can post that stuff. I'm real surprised that it didn't weigh less since it's aluminum. I'm talking about the whole set up flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing.....you no what I mean. With the mini starter, it will be like 6 lbs lighter than what I had in there.

Attachments

• IMG_7239.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_7238.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_7231.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_7232.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 276
Got some more headway the last two nights. The pictures are a little out of order, but man even with the stock bellhousing I've got loads of room. Makes a person wonder why they made the Lakewood so big and for what?????

Attachments

• IMG_7321.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_7319.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_7318.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_7317.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_7325.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_7324.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_7323.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_7322.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 254
I used a 10.5 aluminum bell on my 66, CF II clutch kit and the early 10.5 conversion kit from Brewers, fit great and works like a charm!! I had an aftermarket blow-proof bell, I never used it cause of the mods I would have had to do so I sold it

The 2 orange bells pictured what are they originally for .
The one on the left is the cast #3515734 1972-4 A & E. The one on the right is the original to a 65 Cuda that I had gotten back in the 90's.

Hey by the way I've been trying to pm you on the this Lakewood if you still want it.

I used a 10.5 aluminum bell on my 66, CF II clutch kit and the early 10.5 conversion kit from Brewers, fit great and works like a charm!! I had an aftermarket blow-proof bell, I never used it cause of the mods I would have had to do so I sold it

Which one did you use if you don't mind me asking. The 734 or the 482?

By the way I love yours and your Dad's rides.

Wow, looks like I'm not going to be able to use there bell housing bracket. It puts it too high on the bell making the arm coming down hit the bell housing. I'll get pictures here soon. To get where I think it should be level and nice swing I'm using the top bolt hole for the 482 bell in my bottom hole in this 734 bellhousing that I'm using. I know crazy huh. By doing this I can't even use two holes with this bracket. I'm going to try and modify the old bracket on little bell and see how that goes.

Ok, with the bracket bolted up with one bolt it's a little high on the level on the motor side. With it in this position it will clear when it swings without trimming the bracket on the bell, but since this z-bar doesn't have the s curve like my original (pictured above) it's got my fork adjuster a little angled.

If I use my original bell bracket which I would have to re-drill a hole for the top one it's level but slightly down hill if you will going towards the motor. Which makes the angle of my adjuster for the fork more out of whack.

Here are some pictures and a video. I'm thinking of just buying another bracket from him, cause looking at his site it looks like I could make one or two of them work by just re-drilling a hole.

If I put it where it belongs as far as the bell bracket it lock up and not even turn.

I'm sure it's just my set up is the problem with the motor so high for my fenderwell headers to clear the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_7435.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_7436.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_7438.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_7437.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 151
-
Back