the parting out of the cars we love?

-
Hmmmm... so where does everyone stand on the people that take nice solid old B and C bodies and smash them up in a demolition derby? I've even seen some A bodies (that I would have loved to buy) do well - the old stuff appeals to them 'cause they last... is it criminal? Just askin'...!!
thats the worst.. totally destroying a perfectly good old car to me is a crime, i cant even watch the monster truck shows cuz i see the linup of cars to be run over and go nooooooooo! you cant crush that one or that one or any of them haha. ill give you a kia dealership, you can crush all of them! it is true tho, my car i saved from the scrapper, and if my car was any nicer, i wouldnt have it because i would not of been able to afford it... maybe thats why i am this way i dunno, i bet my car would have been a parts car or scrap to someone else but when i do enough cutting and replacing and put my heart and soul into this thing, maybe those who thought a little rust killed the beast, will have second thoughts when they see my finished project. who knows, it doesnt matter nothing is going to change, i do need parts cars for parts, and everone always needs money, just me personally gets too attached to old steel, i wouldnt be able to bring myself to hack up a car i personally see worth something

On a rusty early A I can get way more out of it than the couple hundred that it will bring as a whole car. So my answer is either pony up the money for the whole car or stop crying.

Hmmmm... so where does everyone stand on the people that take nice solid old B and C bodies and smash them up in a demolition derby? I've even seen some A bodies (that I would have loved to buy) do well - the old stuff appeals to them 'cause they last... is it criminal? Just askin'...!!

i hate demolition derbys i mean i do hate them they tear up good cars
its worthless and i have told a few guys i was selling a 69 plymouth fury
1 time first word out of his mouth was derby car first word out of my
mouth get the f#ck out of here lol

I had the same thing happen when I was selling my solid '66 Newport. The first guy said derby, I said hit the bricks.

At least if you're parting out a car those parts are being used by the buyer to build another. The derby guys smash everything up so bad that there's hardly anything usable left and the car is good for nothing at that point.

Yes. Exactly why this argument is pointless. Each person (and region of the country) has it's own idea of what is solid.

I see projects on here that I think should be parted…..

I also see parts cars that not very far gone…..

I also see people that buy a car and a week later are parting it out with the excuse that they can't find a buyer.

I see your point about the argument being pointless. As I've just highlighted, it's completely subjective.

Remember that some of us parted these cars regularly back in the day when junkyard stock was plentiful. At that time, a car considered decent today was beyond gone then.

Where I live, with our winters, finding rust-free correct metal and parts is a real challenge. The only cars left are those owned by A-body guys, running or projects, and any parts they have are their "stash". When crackedback sent me that mint, dry, scale-free torsion bar member a while back, it was all I could do but smile.

Grant

i just do not see putting 15,000 into a rust bucket that IF you had to sell down the road, is still only worth 6,000. that is my point.

I just bought one last week,A body.Someone started to put a pipe frame on it,lost interest.Got it home,the body is twisted,more rust than i originally thought.340 is right,you really cant justify putting 15000 in a 10000 car.I had hoped I could finish it in a year.Now i believe maybe two years.What is your time worth.Yes i do love the cars but when you get them to a car show,here comes mr know it all and you go home mad.

I just think of all the one's that go directly to the crusher without being intercepted by an enthusiast. At least this way, others can benefit.

Grant

see thats love for a car right there! thats something i would do

but see i guess its all a matter of perspective like everone keeps saying. i make no money and i cant just drop 5k on decent project so that leave me with rusty cars.. i also cant drop 15k into it.. if you would see the amount of hand crafted work i put into my car you would call me crazy, but thats the name of my game, i love this hobby and i love my car but i have no money, so i do what i can to make it solid again even if it takes patching pinholes and rot on those stupid extentions on the edge of the front wheel houses thats the fender rests against (yes thats is what im currently doing) but im proud of my progress and if i had money i would replace half the parts im repairing but i dont; so the metal shears, angle grinder and welder get used ALOT. basically, i didnt get into this thinking what can i get back out of it as far as cash, i went into it thinking how much fun im having, how much im learning and how much i love this car and am going to love it even more when its done and i can say i did it myself. its going to be far from barret jackson perfect, but its MY car and nobody will tell me i did it wrong haha

i just do not see putting 15,000 into a rust bucket that IF you had to sell down the road, is still only worth 6,000. that is my point.

The quantifier of this statement being "if." (Which you put an emphasis on.) I've brought a few cars back to life for customers in the past when everyone told them the car would be better off dead.

The reason? Sentimental value has it's worth, for a lot of people, beyond monetary value. I have a few of these of my own. Just look at the list in my signature. My F250 was a Florida truck. Two winters here in NY and it started going to hell in a hand basket. But the truck will be saved, damn the cost and damn the time. My grandfather bought that truck new off the lot. It's one of the very few things we have left that wasn't sold by his children other than my father. After much discussion on prioritizing the projects the M-body was placed first as it needs the least amount of work. The F250 will be next. My father gave me his '74 Barracuda with the stipulation he gets to drive it before he dies. He's 68 now, 69 in August. But the 'Cuda will wait. After much discussion and thought he would rather drive the F250 once again, as a reminder of his father. Sorry, you can't place monetary value on that. For that reason I'll sell everything else if I'm forced to and the truck will stay.

I just bought one last week,A body.Someone started to put a pipe frame on it,lost interest.Got it home,the body is twisted,more rust than i originally thought.340 is right,you really cant justify putting 15000 in a 10000 car.I had hoped I could finish it in a year.Now i believe maybe two years.What is your time worth.Yes i do love the cars but when you get them to a car show,here comes mr know it all and you go home mad.
ah if i got to car shows and mr know it all is there and says something to me ill tell him to cut the check so i cant go get some nice equipment to do it better myslef or im gunna piss in his wifes hair haha. tho seriously i probably wont be at car shows for a looong time. untill i have a garage of my own im not going to paint my car..

The quantifier of this statement being "if." (Which you put an emphasis on.) I've brought a few cars back to life for customers in the past when everyone told them the car would be better off dead.

The reason? Sentimental value has it's worth, for a lot of people, beyond monetary value. I have a few of these of my own. Just look at the list in my signature. My F250 was a Florida truck. Two winters here in NY and it started going to hell in a hand basket. But the truck will be saved, damn the cost and damn the time. My grandfather bought that truck new off the lot. It's one of the very few things we have left that wasn't sold by his children other than my father. After much discussion on prioritizing the projects the M-body was placed first as it needs the least amount of work. The F250 will be next. My father gave me his '74 Barracuda with the stipulation he gets to drive it before he dies. He's 68 now, 69 in August. But the 'Cuda will wait. After much discussion and thought he would rather drive the F250 once again, as a reminder of his father. Sorry, you can't place monetary value on that. For that reason I'll sell everything else if I'm forced to and the truck will stay.
yeaa my buddy dustin has a 76 f100 custom he cant let go because its his grandpops truck. so he stroked the 360 fe.. call him crazy who cares for the 360 fe.. but he has his reasons i wont steer him wrong, honestly i cant wait to see when its done. and same with yours! i really like the 70s f series pickups

i was torn with my 67 2 dr sedan last year. had some killer parts i started mocking it up, and i just couldnt finish it. i have the means but no time and couldnt see myself hitting the track the way i used too. i saved the cat it was a rot box i clipped the front from a nice car that a guy parted out due to title issues. fesh dana mini tub big block, it needed floor work and tubs finished, lower quarters interior was a mess. i tried to sell it a few times. i couldnt bring myself to part it out and didnt really want to be bothered. a bunch of tires kickers contacted me, some people flat out harrassed me and tried to insult me with stupid offers and talked smack about the car being junk. i sold it to a guy thaty parted it out, he was honest but gave me what i wanted. im not sure how he made out money wise but there was some good stuff there for the money. some people jump the gun parting stuff, today we have themeans to fix just about anything, but at the same time without the parts we cant fix them. living i nthe rust belt, i know pretty much anything can be fixed its just a matter of how lazy you are.

It's all a personal judgment call, If I sell a guy a car "it's his baby", I could care less what he does with it.. If It's to far gone it's time to part it out.. I worked in a scrap yard, and I'll admit, I tried to buy or salvage every muscle car that came across the scales that had any parts left on it... Most were stripped down rusty hulls.. 4-doors are free game, part all dim b!t(he$ out 8)

Sometimes you have no other choice but to part them out.

I have a 70 Charger 500 project that I have been trying to sell for a while, with no real interested buyers. Sure its a 318 car, and has the typical rust, but it also comes with two 727's, a low mileage running 440, a 383 out of a Superbee, and a 331 Hemi. Has a build sheet, fender tag, and clean title. Would be the perfect car for a restomod, clone, etc. I've got $6500 in everything, and that is what I have been asking for it. Maybe its worth it, maybe its not. Either way, why should I take a loss on it just to keep it together. I'm going to give it to the end of summer, and if it doesnt sell, then I'll start taking it apart, and haul everything to Carlisle next year. I'll wind up making a heck of a lot more than I have in it. But, at least I tried to sell it whole first. Not my fault if everyone expects me to just give it to them.

I am entirely with Ramenth on this. I have an '84 D150 (factory propane 318 ) that is tired and bashed, but to my girls she is "Rachel, the Rockin' Red Ram" and has memories of many holidays and fun adventures together. She was bought in '93 when I was on an acreage and needed a hauler. Now, she is one of the family and it does not matter how ugly she gets (or how little space I have to park her in the city) - my kids will never let me get rid of her. New fenders, patch panels and various other parts gleaned from 'donors' will save Rachel and keep her Rockin' for many more years. Keep parting out the cars (and trucks) - we all need the donors!

-
Back