the parting out of the cars we love?

-

1971dodgedart/6

Reaction score
everytime i come on here theres a decent looking, mostly rust free "parts car" being parted out.. hard to believe you truly love mopars or any car at that when you know it could be used and driven, and instead you tear it apart for $. i know everyone has their own opinion, just this is mine.

Had you thought that that one car parted will make more than one car exceptional?

yea, tonight and today, everyone has had alot of opinions.
also when you have a car that has a lot of options, and when the person gets beat up on the price of the car, they say screw it, cuase they will make more in parting it out. i have a 340 71 duster that i bought for the sharktooth grille. it has orange bucket seats, 8.75, good body parts, rallye dash......the list goes on. now it does need driver floor pan, trunk pan and some other metal work. no one will buy the car for what i want, but dam sure ill get more than my asking price if it is parted out. but i changed my mind on parting it, i am going to try to get a title, and if i cannot get one, then it will get parted or sold to someone in a state that does not require a title

I have parted a few cars. Every time these topics come up they tend to split down the middle pretty quick. I prefer to look at it as saving several at the cost of one.

I have not parted any 2 doors. Sold them all complete. But I could I guess if it had paperwork issues etc. Of course, living in the desert means most cars are pretty rust free so I wouldn't chop em up.

It is funny how people who sell parts are often ostracized (sp), but at the same time, most people need and buy parts.....

Just my thoughts. ROB

yeaa.. just sometimes i think i can see the way people acually try and make something of it, try to sell it whole you know, make an effort before parting it out. and some people i feel they just buy these cars strictly to tear them up regardless of how salvagable they are, you know? theres a big difference between a shell or a half complete car or even one that doenst run and a complete solid, running, driving car. man sometimes i see cars being parted out that are nicer than the car im trying to put together! but i wouldnt even have the opportunity to buy the car if i had the money and room for it because its only being sold for parts. thats all im trying to say.

I have parted a few cars. Every time these topics come up they tend to split down the middle pretty quick. I prefer to look at it as saving several at the cost of one.

I have not parted any 2 doors. Sold them all complete. But I could I guess if it had paperwork issues etc. Of course, living in the desert means most cars are pretty rust free so I wouldn't chop em up.

It is funny how people who sell parts are often ostracized (sp), but at the same time, most people need and buy parts.....

Just my thoughts. ROB
yea absolutely, my car wouldnt be were it is without other cars parts, im talking about the ones who strictly tear up solid cars for cash, they know who they are. i remember a guy on here with a 71 demon i think who wanted like 8k or something, wasnt worth nearly what he was asking and he goes "oh ill just scrap it if nobody wants it for my price" that is a real bad attitude to have on a forum full of mopar lovers. its stuff like that that draws the line real fast between who reallly loves these cars and who is out for the $.

If they are desirable/rare models it bugs me to see them cut up. On the other hand if nobody parted the plain jane cars most of ours would be sitting in garages partly done. So parting them does do us a service. Parting is better than them going to a crusher for scrap metal. Twenty or more years ago nobody saw these cars as having any value. Just my thoughts.

yea, tonight and today, everyone has had alot of opinions.
also when you have a car that has a lot of options, and when the person gets beat up on the price of the car, they say screw it, cuase they will make more in parting it out. i have a 340 71 duster that i bought for the sharktooth grille. it has orange bucket seats, 8.75, good body parts, rallye dash......the list goes on. now it does need driver floor pan, trunk pan and some other metal work. no one will buy the car for what i want, but dam sure ill get more than my asking price if it is parted out. but i changed my mind on parting it, i am going to try to get a title, and if i cannot get one, then it will get parted or sold to someone in a state that does not require a title
see but you made the effort, theres only so much you can do and i wouldnt blame you if thats what you were left to do.

If they are desirable/rare models it bugs me to see them cut up. On the other hand if nobody parted the plain jane cars most of ours would be sitting in garages partly done. So parting them does do us a service. Parting is better than them going to a crusher for scrap metal. Twenty or more years ago nobody saw these cars as having any value. Just my thoughts.
you do have a very good point!

Problem is that most of the people that complain are in the rust belt and what I generally call the "math is hard" crew. I hear, that's a 4K car here (insert where you are), selling for 1000-1500 and about the same to move it, yet NOBODY ponies up.

I usually try to only kill 4 doors and you'd be surprised how bad many of the parts really are. I have 3 cars, 71 Duster (a mess), 71 Dart (real Solid) and a Dart Sport (Solid) that are going to get killed and they are between $400-1300. They have to go, so it's either as parts or whole. I make no bones about it. I'd rather see a car saved if it makes sense. I do make more selling in parts and get to keep stuff for my builds as well. To me the money isn't the driver.

It's all a matter of perspective.

People that are in it for the money, will part out solid projects. People that are in it for the hobby won't.

It's the typical…… If I can't get what I want out of it, I will cut it up mentality.

And away we go!

Thanks for the laugh and passing judgment on anyone that cuts up something that's "solid".

What's solid to one person is a scrap piece to another.

People that are in it for the money, will part out solid projects. People that are in it for the hobby won't.

It's the typical…… If I can't get what I want out of it, I will cut it up mentality.

then we should find a hundred more guys like you to sell our solid cars to. lol, BEFORE WE CUT THEM UP

if they are too far gone part them out, but not when it is still working. I refused to take a guys money once.

I had a 67 Satellite, factory 383, i was selling it cause i "needed" the money. Still a perfectly good, running, driving car, I drove it every day or so. I was selling it for $2000. Almost had signed the title over when he said "too bad its in such good shape, i am going to use it for a parts car for my daughters car" His daughter had a sweet 67 Satellite convert.

I said what? Your not using this for parts. He offered $2500, then $3000. I said no, boy was he pisssed.

You know what i find so funny, is that most of the guys on here will make fun of chevy and ford owners, yet in a 2 hr drive near where i live, i find the most un-beleivable mopars sitting in yards rotting, and then see the chevies and fords out front for sale. I have found countless 340 dusters. A hemi gtx with no carbs on it, darts, you name it. I love mopars, but some mopar fans can be so arrogant. Parting them out just keeps the mopar world spinning.lol

Some cars have to be sacrificed in order to rebuild the others.I myslef have never parted out an A. I agree on not parting out but there is also good money to be made.

Yea, it is the problem in this world. One person worrying about the next one. To each his own. Some people survive by working behind a desk, some as cops, some as car-dismantlers, and then some that prey on the weak and rust vulnerable old a-body mopars.lmao

i live in indiana nothing is solid when i say rust free i mean i will not
charge u for the rust lol

Consider it "organ donation"...one may die so many may live. It is logical....Spock, out.

Consider it "organ donation"...one may die so many may live. It is logical....Spock, out.

I was thinking this exact thing. They are organ donors

"The needs of the many out weigh the needs of few or the one".

Chuck

I will part one in a second that has cancer. I have done too many that had cancer only to see rust bubbles pop up before I had them totally finished. Nothing will kill a sale quicker than rust bubbles.

And away we go!

Thanks for the laugh and passing judgment on anyone that cuts up something that's "solid".

What's solid to one person is a scrap piece to another.

Yes. Exactly why this argument is pointless. Each person (and region of the country) has it's own idea of what is solid.

I see projects on here that I think should be parted…..

I also see parts cars that not very far gone…..

I also see people that buy a car and a week later are parting it out with the excuse that they can't find a buyer.

Hmmmm... so where does everyone stand on the people that take nice solid old B and C bodies and smash them up in a demolition derby? I've even seen some A bodies (that I would have loved to buy) do well - the old stuff appeals to them 'cause they last... is it criminal? Just askin'...!!

I personally offer them up on CL, here, word of mouth ect.. if no one is willing to pony up the cash then well what choice do I have, besides the people who buy the parts don't seem to complain......

if they are too far gone part them out, but not when it is still working. I refused to take a guys money once.

I had a 67 Satellite, factory 383, i was selling it cause i "needed" the money. Still a perfectly good, running, driving car, I drove it every day or so. I was selling it for $2000. Almost had signed the title over when he said "too bad its in such good shape, i am going to use it for a parts car for my daughters car" His daughter had a sweet 67 Satellite convert.

I said what? Your not using this for parts. He offered $2500, then $3000. I said no, boy was he pisssed.
haha thats awsome!

-
Back