The power of white vinegar

-
Theres a d in knowledge smart guy....oh the irony....
Gee, you win the spelling bee. And fail to understand auto-correct on electronic devices.

Or the message given.

Last edited:
You have made you own decisions about who I am without even trying to get to know me.

I won’t try to change your minds...but be quite sure that you are incorrect.

Your perception isn’t reality.

Careful on chrome parts. I put this chromed piston pin in for 4 hours in 5% and it dissolved the chrome plate right off. I can even detect a slight change in drag putting the pin in the piston on the stripped side and a very slight play. Just an fyi on chromed parts.
20200528_191731.jpg
20200528_192259.jpg
20200528_191738.jpg

I put some rusty disc brake brackets in....all day... nothing. I wire brushed one... oh well

15907607471672724695541119765263.jpg

Im about to dunk a crank that has been in a delapitated cardboard box out in the weather for 4 years....well see! As soon as I build a crank sized box that will hold the trashbag full of Vinegar. It must be wasted rusty, will take pics next week, while on stay-cation. BTW its a 360 turned down to 340 mains and neutral balanced IIRC. Poor mans 318 stroker using low comp 318 truck pistons.

Im about to dunk a crank that has been in a delapitated cardboard box out in the weather for 4 years....well see! As soon as I build a crank sized box that will hold the trashbag full of Vinegar. It must be wasted rusty, will take pics next week, while on stay-cation. BTW its a 360 turned down to 340 mains and neutral balanced IIRC. Poor mans 318 stroker using low comp 318 truck pistons.
You doing a thread on that build?

^^ was going to attempt it but Fedex dropped the crank and broke 2 bolt holes off the output flange. I still got the piece (and Fedex payed me for the crank) but Id probably not waste my time on a build based on a broken crank. Anyone know a good cast iron crank welder in So. Cal that would work for beer? On paper it would work with a .060 head gasket and open chamber heads. Same cast 4" small mains crank you can buy from Eagle for $249 now.

Vinegar Dunk

20200531_130744.jpg

318 Crank Clean Ups
Good Projects during Corona Shutdowns.

20200603_103113.jpg

20200603_105251.jpg

Last edited:
Got a pair of Grungy Greasy Heads to try and clean up next.

Will break them down and soak them in diesel fuel, degrease, decarbon, then into the vinegar tank.

Wish me luck, lol . . .

20200603_105744.jpg

Well, guess I'm odd man out. Have some brackets submerged since Saturday and really, no change.

Well, guess I'm odd man out. Have some brackets submerged since Saturday and really, no change.

Wonder if you have an oil film on those brackets. Wash them down with Brake Parts Cleaner to get any oil off, then maybe even light wire brush them to break the surface, then put them in new 5% or 6% cleaning vinegar overnight soak.

Next day rinse them down with distilled water and a scotch brite scuff pad. Then final polish them up on a fine wire wheel on your drill press. Should make them look like brand new steel.

After the vinegar dunk and distilled water rinse and blow dry, the parts are so raw that they will flash rust. That is when I polish them up with the fine wire wheel.

Engine parts I put a coat of WD-40 on them and polish them up with a scotch bright scuff pad, then blow them down and wipe them down with some paper towels.

Coated and protected till assembly.

Here is a picture of the crankshafts after vinegar dunk and distilled water rinse and blown dry. As you can see, they flash rust real quick in minutes, so get some WD-40 on them to stop the flash rusting.

Flash Rusted
Before:
20200529_111104.jpg

After:
20200529_130116.jpg

They Polish up nice, takes a little elbow grease.

Wonder if you have an oil film on those brackets. Wash them down with Brake Parts Cleaner to get any oil off, then maybe even light wire brush them to break the surface, then put them in new 5% or 6% cleaning vinegar overnight soak.

Next day rinse them down with distilled water and a scotch brite scuff pad. Then final polish them up on a fine wire wheel on your drill press. Should make them look like brand new steel.

After the vinegar dunk and distilled water rinse and blow dry, the parts are so raw that they will flash rust. That is when I polish them up with the fine wire wheel.

Engine parts I put a coat of WD-40 on them and polish them up with a scotch bright scuff pad, then blow them down and wipe them down with some paper towels.

Coated and protected till assembly.

Here is a picture of the crankshafts after vinegar dunk and distilled water rinse and blown dry. As you can see, they flash rust real quick in minutes, so get some WD-40 on them to stop the flash rusting.

Flash Rusted
Before:
View attachment 1715539983

After:
View attachment 1715539984

They Polish up nice, takes a little elbow grease.
Thanks George jets! I'll try the scotch Brite. I took a wire brush briefly to the one and plunked it back in... I'll clean them then shoot primer and satin black to finish them. They're the hose/brake line brackets for small bolt disc brakes.

Is washing soda "20 mule Borax" ????

Yes. Washing soda will also help neutralize the acid flush when doing a radiator and block. Make sure the box says "washing soda". IIRC, the ratio is 1 TBSP/gallon.

On the Evaporust - Also has to have grease and oil free parts first. Any oil or grease will contaminate it and render it way less effective to useless. It is not fast- follow the instructions on the can.

no.
Is washing soda "20 mule Borax" ????
The only ingredient in 20 mule team Borax is a naturally occuring mineral called sodium tetraborate, Na₂[B₄O₅(OH)₄]·8H₂O.
Washing soda is Na2CO3 or sodium carbonate, it can be made by baking soda NaHCO3. heated to 400 degrees for 2 hours. it will chemically change to a granular texture. Not sure how it changes but thats what I read somewhere. it can also be found in stores in the laundry aisle under Arm&Hammer washing soda.

Last edited:
Your right. I had my brand names mixed up. The washing soda I was thinking of was Arm & Hammer.

^I believe the comment above that oil/grease reduces EvaporRust abilities is correct.
Thanks for the Arm and Hammer washing soda info. I don't do a lot of laundry!

Ok as promised, my nasty crankshaft going into the soup, with pics
A little out of order but the crank is pretty rusty. Ill check my Mopar kimchi in 3 days. I tossed the little chip in its own container to monitor status.

20200604_165151.jpg

A fitting burial?

20200604_165027.jpg

20200604_172310.jpg

20200604_172011.jpg

20200604_173259.jpg

20200604_172606.jpg

20200604_175224.jpg

20200604_173459.jpg

20200604_165011.jpg

Last edited:
-