The REALLY low budget coolant recovery can

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
So I'm at the thrift store, and bought (actually two) this nice stainless "wipe" dispenser for 4.75, and a too--large plastic container for 1.50. The wipe dispensers are not liquid tight --the bottoms are only spot welded, and I'm not sure (yet) of my stainless soldering skills. I MAY try that next.

But I decided to "line" the can with the plastic container, which has a flange on the bottom that's too large, and it's too tall.

So we chuck it in the lathe, here, turn the flange down, cut the top off, and PRESTO a coolant recovery tank.

I'll punch a hole in the top for a pickup tube, and get some worm drive clamps for a bracket, and off we go

Attachments

• _MG_6031.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 429
  • _MG_6032.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 452
  • _MG_6033.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 435
  • _MG_6034.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 434
..If Year One see's those they will start making them and charge $39.99 each and $14.00 to ship..Better get a pattern on it soon...
:happy1:

So I'm at the thrift store, and bought (actually two) this nice stainless "wipe" dispenser for 4.75, and a too--large plastic container for 1.50. The wipe dispensers are not liquid tight --the bottoms are only spot welded, and I'm not sure (yet) of my stainless soldering skills. I MAY try that next.

But I decided to "line" the can with the plastic container, which has a flange on the bottom that's too large, and it's too tall.

So we chuck it in the lathe, here, turn the flange down, cut the top off, and PRESTO a coolant recovery tank.

I'll punch a hole in the top for a pickup tube, and get some worm drive clamps for a bracket, and off we go

Now to boil some water and pour it in and see if it will hold up and not melt.:coffee2:

DSC01186.jpg

So how does that can feed coolant back into the radiator?

I was going to use a color coordinated aluminum coffe cup ($1 at thrift store), but after pricing the fittings and considering labor, I think I am better off buying a pre-made $17/free shipping one off ebay.

So how does that can feed coolant back into the radiator?

I was going to use a color coordinated aluminum coffe cup ($1 at thrift store), but after pricing the fittings and considering labor, I think I am better off buying a pre-made $17/free shipping one off ebay.

As the coolant cools it is drawn back into the system...along with all the dirt.

Here's mine, the green looks pretty good with the car. :glasses7:

Attachments

• PA101459.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 246
  • PA101460.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 241
Nice job 67Dart273 :blob: very nize indeed :cheers:

having tools and creativity is a blessing :glasses7: Looks great..

me well just this for now

Attachments

• Creeds%201950%20ford%20build%20going%20big%20block%20050.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 219
-
Back