the right tool

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
so this week i replaced the front shocks and steering dampener on the plow truck

i wont tell you what mickey mouse company made this truck but the amount of different nuts in there is just retarded

there is a 17, and a 19 mm on there, as well as a 3/4 and a 13/16th

of course there was some rust on there and that makes it even harder to get the right socket on everything

i was able to find one tool that was the right size for all the different nuts on there...a 4 inch cut off wheels

I feel your pain. We in Canada got metric before you did; but our metric was a bastardized conglomeration for at least two years.
After that fiasco I switched to motorcycles, atv's, and snowmobiles, with a lil marine thrown in. I was such a dope. After 35/40 years of wrenching, I now have 9ft of bottom chests and 5ft of uppers and another 4ft of miscellaneous bottoms. I can take just about anything apart.

so this week i replaced the front shocks and steering dampener on the plow truck

i wont tell you what mickey mouse company made this truck but the amount of different nuts in there is just retarded

of course there was some rust on there and that makes it even harder to get the right socket on everything

i was able to find one tool that was the right size for all the different nuts on there...a 4 inch cut off wheels
19mm and 3/4 are basically the same size.
But I know what you mean. Everything started changing over in 1977. I was a trimmer in a GM dealership and you thought you knew what sockets etc to take with you and get inside the car under the dash. It was either standard or metric.
One good thing out of it was our gov. would give you money towards a new toolbox because of the extra space needed to purchase tool. For example, if you bought 500 dollars worth of metric tools then they would give you 500 towards a new tool box. Good deal really.
Things are still crazy because most things are in metric but when you buy lumber or building materials it's all in standard measurement.

I wish I had saved "this" because it would have made a GREAT wall display

In the late 70's --early 80's when the first body fasteners started "being metric" a then friend of mine worked for a local small dealer who had Chrysler and AMC until it fell. One Sat I got off at noon and we were "doing something" so I went down to the dealer to get him. He was finishing up putting some dealer service notes "in the book" and showed me one

It was for a late model Mopar of some kind, C barge? Noted the model, year, etc, and was alerting us that "the nut behind the steering wheel" is metric

Mark, you and Canadians, and the English are worse, pick a system and go with it. Watching the tube, measurement is in miles, temp in Celsius, and I will never figure out what a hectare is. I do know what a stone weighs.

Mark, you and Canadians, and the English are worse, pick a system and go with it. Watching the tube, measurement is in miles, temp in Celsius, and I will never figure out what a hectare is. I do know what a stone weighs.
This should clear it up LOL A stone in U.K. is 14 pounds they say I weigh 14 stone and not 200 lbs. Not very accurate.

The hectare is a non-SI metric unit of area equal to a square with 100-metre sides (1 hm ), or 10,000 m , and is primarily used in the measurement of land. There are 100 hectares in one square kilometre. An acre is about 0.405 hectare and one hectare contains about 2.47 acres.

The bottom of Manitoba is marked off in gridlines of miles, in both directions; so there is a "mile-road" headed in the four cardinal directions, at every intersection...... Farmers all own sections of 640 acres, or portions of sections, usually no smaller than a quarter section, which is 160 acres. So in the coffee shop, you will rarely hear the word hectare. Hectares is a bad word around here.
When a farmer applys herbicide, the directions may call for so many liters or kgs per hectare; but the farmer has to convert it to a real number, like liters per acre, cuz his section is divided into acres, but his measuring cup may be in gallons.
Airplanes run out of gas, because the wrong system was used to measure it.
When we drive somewhere;
to town is 8 miles ..... cuz we count them as we go.
The hospital is 22 miles,
the cop-shop is 13 miles,
and the fire-hall is "a stones throw", literally.
The speed limit is still 60mph, they just call it 100kph.
I still do my oil changes at every 3000 miles, cuz the car drives miles as proven by the mile-roads; they just call it 5000km
My odo reads in kms, but nobody knows what a km is. We do however know how to convert it to miles.
Fuel mileage is still converted to mpgs, cuz everybody knows we all drive miles, as proven by the counting of the mile-roads, and a liter is so small it takes over 22 of them to fill 5 gallon Jerry-can.
Honestly, we here locally, now have a two-measurement system. The one that the government mandates. And the ones we commoners still commonly use.
When I have my breakfast, I use a tablespoon. When I have dessert, I use a teaspoon. A shotglass is still a shot. A cup is a cup. A quart sealer is still what it is. Combines and granaries are still bushels. And any ICE-engine is rated in horsepower, as are electric motors.
I buy my butter in 1 pound bricks now called 454s
My milk now comes in a 4liter jug, but it's really just a relabeled gallon Imp.
A can of pop is labeled 355ml, but everyone knows it's in the same container that used to be labeled 12 ounces.
And the daymn clock has the same 12 hourly divisions as it ever it had. And a new Day still starts at the ridiculous time of midnight, which everybody knows is the Third Watch of the Night; and the day will not actually arrive until another five or six hours later. I mean who foisted this wackiness on us.....
Oh wait, lemmee guess; could it have been ......... Science?
I knew our country was doomed, when I saw those in charge, sell our identity to the metric world.
It only took ONE generation.

Back in the mid/late 70s I did design work for a company that manufactured heavy equipment parts and accessories that made digging in the dirt easier. This was during the beginning of the attempt to change the USA to metrics. We had to double-dimension all of our design work.
One day our manufacturing manager came in and we jokingly asked him, "Robby, how many thousandths in an inch?".
He stood there thinking for awhile and finally (perfectly serious) said, "They're so tiny. There must be millions of them."
Of course his view on metrics was "We use inches here in the USA, let the rest of the world change to how we do it!".

Myself personally I prefer the smoke wrench. Quick, easy and permanent

Of course his view on metrics was "We use inches here in the USA, let the rest of the world change to how we do it!".

here's my view on it

e-are-2-types-of-countries-in-the-world-those-that-use-the-metric-system-and-those-that-have-lan.jpg

Myself personally I prefer the smoke wrench. Quick, easy and permanent

i would if i had one, but the cut of wheel did just fine

Back in the mid/late 70s I did design work for a company that manufactured heavy equipment parts and accessories that made digging in the dirt easier. This was during the beginning of the attempt to change the USA to metrics. We had to double-dimension all of our design work.
One day our manufacturing manager came in and we jokingly asked him, "Robby, how many thousandths in an inch?".
He stood there thinking for awhile and finally (perfectly serious) said, "They're so tiny. There must be millions of them."
How did that work for you?

What I don’t understand is your money is metric. But everything else is imperial. Why not pounds and schillings
And our money is easier to recognize being in colour for different denominations.
We also have Smarties lol

-
Back