The smell of a Harbor Freight Store

-
While we're talking about smell....

There's two things in this world that smell like fish.... One of them is fish...

Back to the show...

There is a new HF store here where I live, I have never been there but now I want to go and "smell" it out lol

I love that stuff...

Takes grease and grime right off.... :D

Last I heard it was over $400 a barrel.

A real friend when getting grease on your jeans!!

I'm running low!

Attachments

• Trichlor.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 461
I had this smell in the bed of my truck that has a cap on it. I purchased two mountain bike tires, that stayed in the closed up truck bed for a couple of days. Yes, the tires were made in the big C. Took two days to air it out. Severe outgassing for sure.

Last I heard it was over $400 a barrel.

A real friend when getting grease on your jeans!!

I'm running low!

back in the 80s used to get that stuff free from work....

back in the 70s used to use that stuff to clean missile parts in the air force...

What did the blind man say when he walked past the fish market???

Good morning ladies....

It's the oils they use on everything we get Chinese hardware [nuts n bolts] and the damn things smell just like the store and each box has labels inside that state the oils have been linked to illnesses in people. The tires n wheels we were getting at one time smelled like manure and the tires didn't sound like a regular tire does when you bounced it and it even looked like plastic instead of rubber.

Triclorethane came out as "dry to dry", cleaning machine solvent. It replaced Perchlorethene in clothes dry-cleaning plants. We used to have to pull the perc. soaked clothes after a spin dry and put them into the clothes dryer by hand, holding breath until it was done. My Dad got bladder cancer, but that didn't kill him. It was the Mersa infection he got at Kaiser Health Plan in San Jose, CA. during treatment. (DOW Chem. Corp. sucks) OK. I vented!

I may be in the minority here, but I kinda like the smell... I always thought it was a type of cosmoline the Chinese apply to metals so they don't rust (as fast) during shipping?

I always thought the smell was coming from the bizarre mix of customers- no matter what time of the day, or what day of the week, the HF near me has a customer base that makes Walmart look high-class.....

I am the OP and just a few follow-ups. One is that the smell on the trailer dolly has waned a little. I was putting air in its tires, and they still have that "Eau de China Halitosis" fragrance when you get close to them, but at least it does not overpower you.

As far as the dolly itself, it worked fine on my little utility trailer. It was particularly helpful in moving it from the backyard to my garage. I have to run it over some river rock and grass to get it to the street and my driveway. I used to manhandle it by just grabbing the trailer neck. This dolly sure makes things easier on my aging back and arms. HF claims this will handle a tongue weight of 600 lbs - I doubt that seriously since it is in no way overbuilt. But for my use for a small utility trailer and also a 12 ft aluminum fishing boat on a trailer it should be fine. It was about $45.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 299
When I caved in and bought a HF tire removal stand, my olfactory senses took note of the cheap cardboard box.

Thing smelled as if it was still 50% pulp.

-Kurt

My wife makes me go in there and buy my own gift certificates! :D:D

we bought some thermal curtains for the sun side of the house, sort of a rubber sided cloth from Amazon, and those smelled worse than any HF item I had bought. My son says pretzels (??) , I say the bike seats at the "Y" spinning class..

and speaking of outgassing, The interior of my front window on my old Mitsu would always fog up with this slick film. I figured it was from the plastic dash drying out.

-
Back