The stupidest thing I have ever done...

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, I am putting the narrowed axle together with new seals. I got the pumpkin installed, new axles etc. and then I looked at the perches that I just welded yesterday. After measuring them for width and pinion angle, I welded them on the top of the axle. What a total idiot. Now I have to remove everything, buy new oil seals and perches and start all over. That makes me just want to quit for a while. UGH.

Just mount it under the springs like a truck or van & then you can run some REALLY big rear tires.

How about grabbing the bare metal shaft of a screwdriver driving in the screw of a circuit breaker to the live 120V buss bar on a cir breaker panel?

Poured several quarts of oil into an engine, with the drain plug not installed...

installed a set of brake pads... with the backing plate on the "rotor side"

Broke the engine block many years ago in my 340 Swinger trying to break the crankshaft damper bolt loose so I could do a cam change...long story on my stupidity.

Every one of us who has spent any time building or fixing stuff has made those sorts of mistakes. It's not making the mistake that matters, it's what you do about it that counts. Look on the bright side, at least you didn't weld them on and send everything out for powdercoat before you found the mistake. I've done that on a motorcycle frame before... :D

My neighbor asked me to measure her RV tire yesterday, I told her it was 38" across.......she asked me what it was from top to bottom...I said its round and she said.........yes?

I put the wrong flexplate in my minivan earlier this year. Trans had to come back out.

My neighbor asked me to measure her RV tire yesterday, I told her it was 38" across.......she asked me what it was from top to bottom...I said its round and she said.........yes?
I recall a similar conversation with my wife.
ME:Well is the tire completely flat???
WIFE: Well only on the bottom!!!!!!??

A friend and I used to run a back yard 4X4 shop years ago. I have done the EXACT same thing on a Chevy truck rear end, but welded the perches on the bottom instead the top. lol

I explained that to a young guy, told him that as long as the tire was flat on the bottom it could be repaired, if flat on the top it would have to be replaced. He sat and thought about that for over a half hour and then thanked me for explaining that to him. The other gentleman standing there had to walk away because he was about ready to break out laughing in the kids face.

What did Forest Gump say, "Stupid is as stupid does??" When I was 13 years old I saw a wild squirrel in a tree and decided that I wanted to catch it and keep it for myself. After chasing it from tree to tree for over half a block I finally caught it by clasping both my hands around its neck. It quickly rotated its head and sunk its teeth into my hand. It was amazing to see how little resistance my flesh/tendons/muscle had against the nut crushing jaws of a wild squirrel. Oh yes....I bleed profusely and the harder the squirrel bit me the tighter I squeezed its neck...the tighter I squeezed its neck the harder it bit me. Needless to say, my Mom almost passed out when she saw all the blood streaming down my arm. It was pretty bloody!! They had to kill the squirrel and send the head to Austin, Texas to check for rabies to determine if I had to get the infamous shots in the stomach (1960s). Forest Gump was right, Stupid is as stupid does.

I slipped while I climbed over a picket fence when I was about 9 years old. The picket entered the outside of my thigh and because I was relaxed it pushed my pants into the hole the picket made clear down to the bone in my leg. It tore the nerves in that part of my leg so I felt no pain and I pulled the pants out of the hole and played till dinner time when my brother snitched on me. I still have a Y shaped scar on my thigh to this day.

So, I am putting the narrowed axle together with new seals. I got the pumpkin installed, new axles etc. and then I looked at the perches that I just welded yesterday. After measuring them for width and pinion angle, I welded them on the top of the axle. What a total idiot. Now I have to remove everything, buy new oil seals and perches and start all over. That makes me just want to quit for a while. UGH.

A friend and I used to run a back yard 4X4 shop years ago. I have done the EXACT same thing on a Chevy truck rear end, but welded the perches on the bottom instead the top. lol

Oh, it sooo could have been worse.
My Brother and one his buddies did the same thing and installed it that way not realizing it.
3 reverses and one forward.:D

Last edited:
Don't tell anyone that you made a mistake, tell them you were making your car retro 70s, and you added 3 inch height on the back and saved the price of MONROE highjacker air shocks.

Having never done so before, and having no clue about wrenching, I put a new timing chain into a 273 in my 67 Dart. I pulled the engine to do it. When I stuck it back in, I found one extra wire that I couldn't figure out where it went. I thought to myself, it's just one wire - how important could it be? I drove the car for a few weeks before I found out the wire went to the oil pressure sending unit. I had a leak, and ran it out of oil at freeway speeds, sending the #5 rod out through the side of the block.

:steering:

Last edited:
-
Back