the throttle bushing dilemma

-

scottyv

Reaction score
Just bought a new (reman) carter bbs for my 64 val with leaning tower of power, didn't come with throttle arm bushings, which the old one didn't have either, there was rubber hose in their place, tried summit, rock auto, yearone and no one seems to make them, does anyone know where to get them, or something to replace them with, my next stop is home depot plumbing department

There r kits on ebay. I think they r for 5/16 shafts.
But the problem is the shaft is also worn. So when u ream the bushing for 5/16. the shaft is still too small.

I'm not talking about the butterfly shaft in the carb, I'm talking about the one that come from the gas pedal and goes to the carb one is a big rectangle and the other square /rounded on the carb where it slides in

SlantNonACKickdown_zps8992a2b8.jpg

I always thought that was a strange way to do it, although my Mazda has almost the same rube goldburg setup. Shaft to bellcrank to adjustable rods to carb ball and socket.

courtesy smokejumper69
attachment.php

check a smaller industrial hardware store that has all those drawers of little do-dads. Maybe a plastic bushing?

Find someone with a lathe and ask them to make one for ya?

that little plastic bushing is on Feebay. seems l;ike it was like $20 for $.50 worth of nothing!?? I and some people have used a piece of rubber fuel line there, maybe not SAFE but what is!??????

I found the main problem, whoever owned it before me N rigged it upside down and backwards, i'll post a pic this evening, i noticed it this morning before work the rod is facing backwards and is stuck through the bug rectangle hole, with a piece of hose and a set screw bushing, and it works for **** !!!!!

I think the piece you want is part number 2128347 accelerator linkage insulator. Search by the part number on E-bay and occasionally one will come up for a decent price. AZMOPAR is parting a slant Dart and he may have a good used one....

Your a life saver, got home from work just now and jumped on ebay and ordered one, :)

Thanks for the pics pishta, its been a few years since i had a slantie this old, and didn't remember the position of the linkage, with your help i realised the assclown i got it from had the linkage in upside down and in the wrong side of the old carb, thanks

ok here is the dumbassory

Attachments

• hghghghghg.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 139
  • nnggngng.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 154
SlantNonACKickdown_zps8992a2b8.jpg

I always thought that was a strange way to do it ...
My 1985 M-B diesel uses a similar rotating rod to control the injection pump. No issues with that, but you should see the Rube Goldberg linkages they use for input from the cruise control actuator. I think the rotating rod is more reliable. The throttle cable in my 1969 Dart slant would sometimes stick and I would have to kick it to get the gas pedal up. A cable does make it easier to adapt to different carburetors and intakes, so was likely why Chrysler changed to that.

-
Back