The truth about caltracs

-
I run the 02 and 03 springs. I also have the Competition Engineering Slide a links. They are basically the same as caltracks. I have Viking double adjustable shocks. All this went on at the same time. 1.451 60 foot times foot braking. My car always has better traction in the left lane. That I can’t explain. Car runs 10.40s all day long. MPH is 129. Car weights 3300 lbs. I was told by many racers that this system won’t work together because the leafs and the side a links are trying to do 2 different/opposite jobs. Do u guys think I’ll be better off trying each separate ? Thanks. Kim

I was told by many racers that this system won’t work together because the leafs and the side a links are trying to do 2 different/opposite jobs. Do u guys think I’ll be better off trying each separate ? Thanks. Kim

No expert here Kim. BUT, aren’t Both are doing the same job. Limiting axle wrap up. This you know so allow me to think out loud here a second.

S/S springs
The rear of the spring is to hold up the car.
The front is axle wrap.
When the axle twists moving the nose of the pinion upwards, the stiffness of the springs limits travel. Pinion snubber stops movement. Adjustable units done rune the point of axle wrap before wheel hop. This allows the spring to do its job at its max before the snubbed steps in to do its job.

The slide a link or cal tracks;

They limit axle wrap in a more equal side to side & positive stop manor.
The axle is the fulcrum point (just like the spring) When the axle twists moving the pinion nose upwards, the link bar moves and stops the axle wrap positively. At the front of the spring.

They do the same job.

Ether method should happen (stop axle wrap) before wheel hop. Which the leaf allows first if there weak or over powered.

If you remove the slide a links, do you have wheel hop or other traction issues?

To investigate this, a video at launch with available slow motion to see what is going on is needed.

Like I said all the stuff went in together along with the D60. I was told the slide a links wouldn’t let the SS springs do their job. Hence the SS springs won’t let the slide a links do their job. It works pretty good the way it is with the Viking shocks. When I set the slide a links I just pre loaded the passenger side by twisting the adjuster by hand as much as I could. Driver side I adjusted till I took all the slack out by hand. I think ur supposed to tighten the pass side 1 1/2 turns to pre load it. I’ll have to give that a try. Thank u Rumble for ur insight. I’ll also try taking off the slide a links. So I may not even need the slide a links. Kim

Your welcome man. Like I said, no expert here.
Normally I see one or the other being used with a few using both but letting the slide a link take over the axle wrap duties over the springs.

Could you post up a picture of this slide a link.
The picture in my mind, i don't think, is the same component.
I'm thinking about the slider that replaces the shackles in the rear and turns it into a slider....i don't think this is what you are talking about.

Competition Engineering Slide-A-Link Traction Bars C2091

A Ford set up, similar-ish....
C7FC7CAC-D4E8-4E51-867C-71E0D3C3C240.jpeg

OK not at all what i was pictureing.
so it's just like a caltrac only slightly different (aka a rubber bushing)and by a different manufacturer.

Yea kind of sorta I guess, LOL!
The Comp Slide A Link came out first I think.
Doesn’t matter....

I got a Calvert set up in a “Take it all or leave it all” deal. I just have to get springs. I’ll go with Calvert’s since it is a split mono that’s lighter than an MP S/S. And I’ll only get to it if the super light S/S springs fail to do there job. I have the set under the 002-003 springs.
Split Mono Leaf 2000 [2000] - $429.00 : The Leader In Leaf Spring Innovation, - Calvert Racing

3ECC0E67-B9B3-4074-AE34-5A36CD23078C.jpeg

I have heard many a time about the SS Spring and the Caltrac not a good combo
Maybe that is is the same story. He need s lighter or maybe a split mono spring to work properly. aka the best.

You know the story, if its not broken, don't fix it.

I have heard many a time about the SS Spring and the Caltrac not a good combo
Maybe that is is the same story. He need s lighter or maybe a split mono spring to work properly. aka the best.

You know the story, if its not broken, don't fix it.

Me too. The story I always hear and read is that the SS springs are too stiff and they don't allow the Caltracs to "work" right.

That said, kimmer, I'm not sure there's "much room left" to improve your setup. I'm not sure I'd change it. 1.4 60 foot times? That's gittin with it brother.

I agree that a 1.4/60’ is gettin some for sure. IIRC, a stout big block resides in between the fenders?

OK not at all what i was pictureing.
so it's just like a caltrac only slightly different (aka a rubber bushing)and by a different manufacturer.
I have 2 sets of bushings. I’m using the rubber type bushings. I do have a set of aluminum bushings. I could try them. Kim

Me too. The story I always hear and read is that the SS springs are too stiff and they don't allow the Caltracs to "work" right.

That said, kimmer, I'm not sure there's "much room left" to improve your setup. I'm not sure I'd change it. 1.4 60 foot times? That's gittin with it brother.
Thanks Rusty, this is how we set it up from the get go. D60, SS springs, slide a links and Viking double adjustable rear shocks. I still have the factory torsion bars and a factory replacement front shocks on my 74 duster. “was a factory 360 4 gear car”. I was gonna try the 90/10s I gave but other ppl have had trouble with the rear suspension loading and unloading cause the front end is coming up too fast. Kim

Thanks Rusty, this is how we set it up from the get go. D60, SS springs, slide a links and Viking double adjustable rear shocks. I still have the factory torsion bars and a factory replacement front shocks on my 74 duster. “was a factory 360 4 gear car”. I was gonna try the 90/10s I gave but other ppl have had trouble with the rear suspension loading and unloading cause the front end is coming up too fast. Kim

Kim, jhow big a rear tire are u using on this 10:40 set up ??

-
Back