The truth about caltracs

-
I have found my car to being very sensitive to the tires on it.
A little more info. We found the above to be true also but playing with the pressures to find the sweet spot helped. We found that Mickeys liked 12 to 13 psi, Hoosiers liked 13 to 14, Phoenix, again 13 -14 and Toyo's 14 -15. These were all designated 29.5 x 10.5 x 15. Tyre pressures were taken at the pit after a run so cold they were a lot less. The Phoenix, though the same size designation, was a lot taller than the others. unfortunately they touched the body work when they grew, we only used them for 1/2 a season because of that.
Stiff sidewalls (Hoosier, 15 psi) and radial slicks (18 psi) on our combo were inconsistent, when the track was good they were too. TBH the ordinary bias ply with tubes works best on our set up.
HTH's. Tig

Well guy's, I'm glad the Calvert stuff works for you, as for myself I returned it all to Calvert for a refund. Put my factory 1974 stock springs w/ slapper bars & CE 3 way adjustable shocks back on and immediately went 1.50 60ft 1st pass off trailer. The car is right back to 1.47-1.49 60ft consistantly all day & night long! The et is also back where it started, and tires wearing even. We're still racing here as long as its 50 degrees, but once the temps drop I will be installing the ladder bars & be done with all the wasted time & money trying to make that crap work! To quote the chassis shop I spoke with "you should'nt have to build a new car to make them work!"

well guy's, i'm glad the calvert stuff works for you, as for myself i returned it all to calvert for a refund. Put my factory 1974 stock springs w/ slapper bars & ce 3 way adjustable shocks back on and immediately went 1.50 60ft 1st pass off trailer. The car is right back to 1.47-1.49 60ft consistantly all day & night long! The et is also back where it started, and tires wearing even. We're still racing here as long as its 50 degrees, but once the temps drop i will be installing the ladder bars & be done with all the wasted time & money trying to make that crap work! To quote the chassis shop i spoke with "you should'nt have to build a new car to make them work!"

amen!

Cavert Racing Products. You can boast about them , you can brag about them.
At the end of the day what do you have?!?!? You put your money down and nothing changed. Think about it.

57A7DCBB-20B6-4BAF-B851-6E1783AEDBC8.png
At the end of the day what do you have?!?!? You put your money down and nothing changed. Think about it.
1.39 sixty foot
With the complete Calvert system and menscer shocks
Leaving at 2200 rpm two step and Transbrake will try a higher rpm later which may very bring up some issues but so far they seem to work well

I was just rereading some of these posts on caltracs, and noticed all of the bigger engines w/ caltracs, all have big , or good sized slicks. .
I don't have anything but 3/4" offset hangars and 295 65 15 d. radials, and the cal tracs aint doing squat for me so far on my 108" wheelbase. Thinking about putting my s/s springs back on-----------

I was just rereading some of these posts on caltracs, and noticed all of the bigger engines w/ caltracs, all have big , or good sized slicks. .
I don't have anything but 3/4" offset hangars and 295 65 15 d. radials, and the cal tracs aint doing squat for me so far on my 108" wheelbase. Thinking about putting my s/s springs back on-----------
Mine is a 28-10.5

Mine is a 28-10.5
-----slicks !
I am not impressed with drag radials, they do start to hook up on the street if I leave the trans in drive so it will upshift while spinning , they`ll hook up in 3rd gear--------all it did on the strip was spin, but I had some other problems too .

Dang, you race in Evadale? Nice! I did not realize you were in the area. That's our local track to me. I stay in Tyler county. We are pretty much neighbors.

That was directed at O1heavy.
I’ll be back at the Evadale track during the hell at the dale event running the 7.0 index
If your around come by my pit area
Is that your blue Dakota I’ve seen a few times ??

View attachment 1715289078 Caltracks and 10.5 radials are junk.
What rpm does Matt leave at
Getting ready to try work on my 60’s a bit Anything more then 2200 mine hits the tire really hard and wants to spin
Haven’t really messed with my shocks yet
I should be able to clean it up with shock tuning Just curious with what you guys are doing. His car leaves great

What rpm does Matt leave at
Getting ready to try work on my 60’s a bit Anything more then 2200 mine hits the tire really hard and wants to spin
Haven’t really messed with my shocks yet
I should be able to clean it up with shock tuning Just curious with what you guys are doing. His car leaves great

He leaves peddle the floor on the trans brake with a 5600 stall convertor. I’m not sure what he used to leave at foot braking.

....This is a 5+ year old thread that was reopened by someone who just opened an account (2 posts)....don't feed the troll people.

View attachment 1715289078 Caltracks and 10.5 radials are junk.

This what I need to get to. I do not have any front end lift on the initial hit with the dragradials. I don't think my magnum force front end is gonna work without a lot of of initial bite-period !
....This is a 5+ year old thread that was reopened by someone who just opened an account (2 posts)....don't feed the troll people.

WHO cares -----

Technology is always changing, even on old products so rehashing an old subject is usually a good thing. Plus young guys are getting into the scene every year so bumping these posts make it easier to find.

I’ll be back at the Evadale track during the hell at the dale event running the 7.0 index
If your around come by my pit area
Is that your blue Dakota I’ve seen a few times ??

Na. That guy lives down around Bridge city but I have talked to him a few times. Mine is dark green but I don't take it down there to often. Since I got it painted I am so scared it will get scratched she has become a bit of a recluse. Lol

Went 1.34 and 9.80’s at 3350 pounds on 002/003 leafs with CE 3 ways all around. Could dial the car blindfolded it was so consistent.
If i was going to take off leaf springs that worked i would go right to a ladder bar setup if i wanted an upgrade.

Technology is always changing, even on old products so rehashing an old subject is usually a good thing. Plus young guys are getting into the scene every year so bumping these posts make it easier to find.
I keep hoping my plate clears so I can get my *** to the track and seeing this old thread come back is all good for me!

My Son Matt loves his Caltracks and don't ask me how but he picked up track tuning super easy and was at Keystone helping two cars headed to Indy last year. They asked him for help and he set up both cars the same night and both made nice improvements on the track. My heads-up car has a set of Caltracks on it so I'm sure I will need his help to. I've done stock springs, super stock springs, ladder bar cars, and 4 links but NEVER touched a Caltrack set-up.

-
Back