The worst brand of ft hydraulic lifters

-

moparker

Reaction score
Ok, lets try something different. There has been numerous posts asking which is the BEST brand. How about everyones opinion on which is the WORST brand of flat tappet hydraulic lifters.

ANY of them with the nitshit wire retaining clip for the plunger. Those all equally suck.

There is probably only 2 manufacturers of hyd lifter out there today. The rest are just re boxed. That wire clip is in 90% of the lifters made. I have never had a problem with them. Almost no body wants to shell out the cash needed for the expensive lifters. Even with the C clip some of the lifters are the cheap ones. The hi rev hydraulics come with the good C clip. The best lifter out there for a street build is probably the Rhoads lifters. They can take 7000 rpm no problem. Kim

The thing is so many of the lifters that are branded by different companies are all made at the same manufacturer. Too bad they don't have a master list somewhere to show which lifters all of the those companies sell

The thing is so many of the lifters that are branded by different companies are all made at the same manufacturer. Too bad they don't have a master list somewhere to show which lifters all of the those companies sell

Maybe that's something one of us needs to research and make a list of.

I still say anything with the heavy duty snap ring is better than anything with the wire retainer. I don't give a crap who makes it.

You want a good lifter that will go to 8000 RPM and doesn't have the wire clip? Go to a solid flat tappet or solid roller.

Comp cams are leading the pack in worst. Are Roades lifters noisey?

Comp cams are leading the pack in worst. Are Roades lifters noisey?

It depends on which ones you get and how you adjust them. The ZMax are adjustable, similar to a solid lifter. They must be used with an adjustable valve train, like a solid lifter. If you adjust them normally, there is no noise and they act like a normal lifter. But it's only when you use a feeler gauge and adjust them using the feeler gauge does it put them into their lift reduction mode. Then, they will make noise until about 4000 RPM. But by then, you probably couldn't hear it anyway.

the worst flat tappet lifters are the ones that were not broken in right

the worst flat tappet lifters are the ones that were not broken in right

You speak as if the lifter itself is never at fault. That couldn't be further from the truth.

no, my point was, there is a way to almost guarantee lifter failure

Absolutely there is. What I find humorous is fifty years ago you didn't see car markers bust engines off and break them in. They busted them off, revved them a few times and pulled them out in the storage lot.

Absolutely there is. What I find humorous is fifty years ago you didn't see car markers bust engines off and break them in. They busted them off, revved them a few times and pulled them out in the storage lot.

so what changed?
oil?
consumers?
overall quality of parts?
too many lawyers suing for dumb stuff?

Man you know that is absolutely the truth. First engine I ever built was 49 years ago. The only thing we worried about was oil pressure and leaks. I don’t think f
Rounding off a lobe came to my knowledge about the 90’s MOL.

so what changed?
oil?
consumers?
overall quality of parts?
too many lawyers suing for dumb stuff?

Zinc and phosphorus got removed from the oil. Thank a bunny huggin democrat.

Zinc and phosphorus got removed from the oil. Thank a bunny huggin democrat.
but then why do we still need to do cam break ins with high zinc oil?

i mean, if it was just the chemical make up of the oil, we should be able to rev em and send em out like they used to
seems like there is more at play

i mean, if it was just the chemical make up of the oil, we should be able to rev em and send em out like they used to
Because of the crappy quality of steel and manufacturing.

Because the zinc and phosphorus have been removed. When you choose a flat tappet cam, they MUST have high levels of both. You can bust one off and send it with a roller. A flat tappet is a different story. At least nowadays.

I think Comp just has the most out there so the odds are they get more flak on the boards. MP doesnt make their own, probably Johnson but all need the old oil formulation when it comes to zinc and phosphorous. Anyone have an EDM (pinhole face oiling) lifter fail?

I think Comp just has the most out there so the odds are they get more flak on the boards. MP doesnt make their own, probably Johnson but all need the old oil formulation when it comes to zinc and phosphorous. Anyone have an EDM (pinhole face oiling) lifter fail?

Probably a fair assessment.

One other important factor is that everyone wants / needs to run a whole heap of valve spring pressure nowadays!

Yeah, not this white boy. I have 942-16s on my current slant 6 and am only putting 911-16s on my next one.

-
Back