the wrong way to inflate a tire

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
One of my customers just brought this in.

I think its an air hose fitting.... Lol
IMG_20180108_124038.jpg

I have to admit, I've never seen THAT. HERE is a story from "the old days."

This is the DD back around ?? 83 or so, it went between Coeur d Alene and Spokane most every day for about 4 years. Back then I was REAL poor, not just "semi poor" like I am right now

It was known "affectionately" as the Skud Missile:" ...........a low flying, poorly guided missile. ANYway, one day in Spokane on a cold rainy spring day I had a flat.........no big deal, I got out the spare and went on my way. AND THEN I HAD a SECOND flat. I knew where there was a tire store a couple blocks away, and on this cold wet day I just said "screw it" and drove it several blocks on the remains of the tire to the tire store!!!! Where I proceeded to buy TWO MORE used tires!!!

This is the day it went to the junkyard. Only body damage was where I "nicked" it with the snow plow in my own yard!!

SCAN08csd.JPG

Worked with Arnie back in the USPS in Jersey. Arnie had a 45 mile commute. Always parked next to him. Standing by the time clock one morning I asked him if noticed anything weird on his drive to work. He said it felt like he had a tire out of balance. Told him that is probably the result of what appeared to be a railroad spike hanging out of his tire. The spike didn't penetrate the sidewall, apparently it slid its way in between the belts....Arnie didn't have a spare....it was at home so he drove it back home. Block from his house the spike went the rest of the way thru the sidewall.

I have to admit, I've never seen THAT. HERE is a story from "the old days."

This is the DD back around ?? 83 or so, it went between Coeur d Alene and Spokane most every day for about 4 years. Back then I was REAL poor, not just "semi poor" like I am right now

It was known "affectionately" as the Skud Missile:" ...........a low flying, poorly guided missile. ANYway, one day in Spokane on a cold rainy spring day I had a flat.........no big deal, I got out the spare and went on my way. AND THEN I HAD a SECOND flat. I knew where there was a tire store a couple blocks away, and on this cold wet day I just said "screw it" and drove it several blocks on the remains of the tire to the tire store!!!! Where I proceeded to buy TWO MORE used tires!!!

This is the day it went to the junkyard. Only body damage was where I "nicked" it with the snow plow in my own yard!!

View attachment 1715128575
My 70 sport fury 2 door was the same length as that!

As a kid I worked at a local gas station that was on the main road to the beach. Back in those days there was a time of year when the undeveloped stretch of road would be loaded with land crabs after dark. They were so thick at times it was impossible to avoid them. Needless to say I repaired many a tire with a crab claw in them. They would pierce a tire pretty good. Today you rarely see one. Development or who knows what ran them out.

I had another customer about 6 years ago that had a 9/16" wrench go thru the tread on her day old car. If I hadnt seen it myself I would have called them liars!

As a kid I worked at a local gas station that was on the main road to the beach. Back in those days there was a time of year when the undeveloped stretch of road would be loaded with land crabs after dark. They were so thick at times it was impossible to avoid them. Needless to say I repaired many a tire with a crab claw in them. They would pierce a tire pretty good. Today you rarely see one. Development or who knows what ran them out.
LOL... sounds like the crabs know all about the "last gesture of defiance" ....

My wife lost a brand new tire to a .45 caliber shell casing that she ran over in a parking lot a couple of years ago. Looked exactly like that air chuck, embedded in the center of the tread. It cut out a perfect hole like it was an industrial punch. The tire store has it on display in their case of hundreds of other objects they have pulled from tires.

I had another customer about 6 years ago that had a 9/16" wrench go thru the tread on her day old car. If I hadnt seen it myself I would have called them liars!
Out cruising one night as a teen and had a flat. Found the open end of a 1/2” combination wrench sticking out of the tire. How it went through the tire like that still puzzles me. Still have the wrench in the tool box.

Strangest thing I have ever seen in a tire was a railroad spike.......head first.

Can't say I have ever seen that before. I guess it would make inflation a lot easier. :lol:

Last edited:
Couple years ago daughter parked her Durango in front of her apartment with no fault known. The next day when she starter out again she had what felt like a flat, separated tire, something very wrong. So she parks in her space and has a look around. Found something strange at the right front and sends me a pic via wifes Facebook. No guessing what I'm looking at so I go there. Determined she had ran over a huge glob of some very sticky substance. I peeled it off the tire, fault cured, but wondered what the heck is this? Minutes later the grandson arrives from school to inform me... "That was the gel filler from either a tennis shoe or more likely a bicycle seat".

I've seen a few interesting objects come through my shop, most recent was a cleat from a utility pole. The damndest thing I've seen though was a pork rib!

I pulled a 1 1/8" bolt about 10 or twelve inches long out of a tire once. Even had a washer on it. They honestly thought the tire could be patched.

-
Back