There are still some really great people out there!

-

HemiEd

Reaction score
Yesterday after leaving the gym, I stopped at Home Depot to pick up some things for the long overdue house projects.

Well, I was in my sweats, so I put my wallet in my coat pocket, and the pocket openings are vertical and very awkward.

After getting home with the stuff, and getting changed, I get a call on my cell phone. ( we got rid of the land line a couple years ago) The man says he has my wallet, and found it just laying there in the HD parking lot!

I write down his address, plug it into the Challengers GPS and skeedaddle over there.

I am thinking all the way, no way is there going to be any of the $200 cash left in there, and maybe the credit cards will be missing.

So I get there, not only is everything still in it, the man won't take any reward for being such a great guy and saving me a terrific amount of pain. I asked him how he found my cell number, and he had found a business card in my wallet.

It is just so cool, to find a person like that these days!

Since I have the address, and his first name, I am going to send him a nice edible surprise.

Have you had a similar experience?

Not an experience on the same side, no. I found a really NICE cell phone in a local fast food resturant a while back. I scrolled through it until I found "family" contacts and called the first number. The guy picked up the phone on the other end and I tell him I have a cell phone that belongs to someone in his family and he says, "yup, I lost it tonight". I met him in Gray the next day and returned it.

While ridding are quads out in the desert down in Arizona last year we found a cell phone lying on the ground. Called one of the numbers met the guy to give him his cell phone back.
Went to a local tavern with him and he bought me a beer. That's the kind of reward I like!

Seen a lady pulling out of her driveway one time with her wallet on the roof of her car. As she made the corner off it slid. I stopped and picked it up, took it home (because I couldn't catch up with her) gave her a call. She came to the house picked up her wallet and never even said thank you.

I sure did.

One time when I was in the Navy I went home one time on leave. I had a bag at that time I made in Rigger school that I carried all my personal belongings in. Some how I left it laying beside the car in the air port parking lot. Luckly at the time I had no credit cards but all my other stuff and money was in that bag. I just wrote it off.

So I get back home from leave and about a week later a box shows up in the mail with my bag in it. With it was a letter from a guy saying he found it in the parking lot. Said he was sorry it took so long to get it back to me as he was on vacation but sent it as soon as he got back. Nothing was missing at all. I was shocked and so thankfull that I sent the guy a check to cover the shipping plus some extra just to say thank you.

About a week later I get the check back in the mail with a thank you note saying he could never accept it and that he was just doing what was right.

Good to know that there are still people out there that would go out of there way to help some one they do not know. Thank you Sir who ever you were.

My wife dropped her cell phone a few years ago. She did not realize it was gone. Home phone rang, it was the guy who picked it up. He lived a few miles from us and dropped it off on his way home. Very surprising when someone does something honest. When I worked at the Post Office we would find phones in the mail a few times a month. First thing we would do was to scroll thru the contact list looking for Mom/Dad's phone number and give them a call.

We work in a small town of 3500 folks and last summer two of my guys found a purse in the middle of one of the main streets. The purse had been run over several times but the boys stopped and picked it up and brought it back to the office. The contents were still intact and according to the drivers license in the wallet the purse belonged to one of our very senior citizens. I called the lady and said my guys found her purse and if she was going to be home we would drop it off. She was beside herself with joy as it seems she was on her way to the local bank and absentmindly left the purse on the roof of her car and drove off only to have it blow off a few blocks from home. Wait for it...... Inside the purse we found several thousand in cash along with postal money orders made out to her for a few thousand more. Her 60 ish daughter met my guys at the door, took the purse and I swear closed the door in their faces. When they came back to the yard I asked where the cookies were and just smiled. 75Sport

Got preoccupied Friday and forgot to get gas in my work truck and ran out in the worst part of Houston. Didnt get all the way out of the street about a hundred feet from an intersection.truck was hanging a couple feet in the road as where i could pull off had an incline. I,m freeking out.Had all my tools and power tools in the back and my tool box doesn't lock. There wasn't a station for two miles. I wrote need gas will pay on a piece of cardboard like panhandlers on the corners use and stood behind and to the side of the truck.ten minutes later some landscapers who spoke broken english tried to pull over but had to go around the block because of traffic. When they returned the passenger jumped out and grabbed a can off their trailer and put a good gallon or two in my truck and wouldn't let me help. I tried to give him a twenty when he was done but he wouldn't take it.I know landscaping Hispanics aren't made out of money and work hard for every dollar. It amazes me when people who have little are generous with what they have. Now I am waiting for my chance to help someone and pay it forward. Acts of kindness like this change the world and make it a better place to live. DD

I've returned checkbooks, wallets, & purses that I've found through the years. Don't recall any of them having much, if any, money in them. Was in a store last fall & found somebody's rent check on the floor as I was standing at the register. Apparently the landlord had dropped it there. Gave it to the store manager. Was in the store a few weeks later & happened to see the manager & she said they were able to get hold of the person who wrote the check by calling the number on it. For once it was the landlord who lost the check, not the tennant! LOL

Got preoccupied Friday and forgot to get gas in my work truck and ran out in the worst part of Houston. Didnt get all the way out of the street about a hundred feet from an intersection.truck was hanging a couple feet in the road as where i could pull off had an incline. I,m freeking out.Had all my tools and power tools in the back and my tool box doesn't lock. There wasn't a station for two miles. I wrote need gas will pay on a piece of cardboard like panhandlers on the corners use and stood behind and to the side of the truck.ten minutes later some landscapers who spoke broken english tried to pull over but had to go around the block because of traffic. When they returned the passenger jumped out and grabbed a can off their trailer and put a good gallon or two in my truck and wouldn't let me help. I tried to give him a twenty when he was done but he wouldn't take it.I know landscaping Hispanics aren't made out of money and work hard for every dollar. It amazes me when people who have little are generous with what they have. Now I am waiting for my chance to help someone and pay it forward. Acts of kindness like this change the world and make it a better place to live. DD

You got that chit right. I have the upmost respect for those that work because they WORK.

We work in a small town of 3500 folks and last summer two of my guys found a purse in the middle of one of the main streets. The purse had been run over several times but the boys stopped and picked it up and brought it back to the office. The contents were still intact and according to the drivers license in the wallet the purse belonged to one of our very senior citizens. I called the lady and said my guys found her purse and if she was going to be home we would drop it off. She was beside herself with joy as it seems she was on her way to the local bank and absentmindly left the purse on the roof of her car and drove off only to have it blow off a few blocks from home. Wait for it...... Inside the purse we found several thousand in cash along with postal money orders made out to her for a few thousand more. Her 60 ish daughter met my guys at the door, took the purse and I swear closed the door in their faces. When they came back to the yard I asked where the cookies were and just smiled. 75Sport

Some great stories here, but darn, that is just wrong. This is the second one where the recipient of the good deed, didn't even thank the person.

I might just have to reciprocate with the "burning bag of dog poop on the porch" trick.

Over 20 years ago I was out for the day with my then girlfriend (now wife) and we stopped at an In-N-Out burgers on our way home. She took her purse in and set in on floor where we were sitting. She forgot all about it until about an hour after we left In-N-Out. She immediately called, they checked but couldn't find it anywhere. There was only about $5 in cash in her wallet, but her drivers license and credit cards were in there.
About six months later she gets a call at home from someone who claims they found her purse in a restroom trashcan at Magic Mountain (an amusement park about 80 miles from the In-N-Out). She gets her purse returned via UPS and EVERYTHING is still there, cash, coins, drivers license, credit cards, lint, everything.
To this day we both think it was a case of a guilty conscience catching up with whoever originally found the purse since their was no return address or identification on the UPS box and the person wouldn't give any ID info to her.

Several years ago I was pumping gas in my truck and something caught my eye down by my shoe. Turned out to be a $5 bill. I picked it up and continued to fill the gas tank. When I finished, I turned to hang the gas nozzle back on the pump and saw something blow out from under my truck - two $20 bills.
I picked them up and asked the only other person pumping gas if they'd dropped anything and they said, "No."
I went in to the station and tried to give the money to the mid-20s guy behind the register in case anybody called and claimed they lost it. He wouldn't take it and told me to keep it because he'd just play video games with it as long as it lasted. Never did find out who it belonged to, so ended up giving it to a local charity.

I have another, In 1998 I was elk hunting with friends. We got snowed out and left early getting to Yakima Washington in time to get a space at a RV park. I went into the bathroom to do my duty when I got back to the camper I realized my wallet had fell out of my back pocket.
Went back into the restroom only to find my wallet was gone. The kicker is as I was leaving the restroom the first time a nice looking young fella passed me going in asking how I was doing. I went to the front desk but the wallet had not been turned in.

So here I was 3 hours from home with no money or credit cards. About an hour later my wife calls to tell me a little girl had found my wallet laying alongside the road about a mile from where I was.
I called the number and the folks that had my wallet brought it to me. All my money was gone but the rest was still there. I can still in my mind see that A-hole pulling all my money out and throwing my wallet out the window.
I did get to thank the little girl and her folks and tried to give her a reward but her folks didn't want her to take it.
So on the same day I had a bad experience and a wonderful one.

Here is the exact opposite story
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...t-used-stolen-credit-card-to-buy-1303201.html
Guy claims a net worth in excess of 3 million and he used some poor college students credit card that he just found to pay for his $40 pizza order.

Now that is just messed up. They should fine him 100k.

I have another, In 1998 I was elk hunting with friends. We got snowed out and left early getting to Yakima Washington in time to get a space at a RV park. I went into the bathroom to do my duty when I got back to the camper I realized my wallet had fell out of my back pocket.
Went back into the restroom only to find my wallet was gone. The kicker is as I was leaving the restroom the first time a nice looking young fella passed me going in asking how I was doing. I went to the front desk but the wallet had not been turned in.

So here I was 3 hours from home with no money or credit cards. About an hour later my wife calls to tell me a little girl had found my wallet laying alongside the road about a mile from where I was.
I called the number and the folks that had my wallet brought it to me. All my money was gone but the rest was still there. I can still in my mind see that A-hole pulling all my money out and throwing my wallet out the window.
I did get to thank the little girl and her folks and tried to give her a reward but her folks didn't want her to take it.
So on the same day I had a bad experience and a wonderful one.

That is what I totally figured had happened to mine and was prepared for it. Getting new I.D., credit cards etc. would have been a pain, so still having the cash was a bonus.

It has been 40 years since I last lost a wallet on the Ocean View roller coaster.
I hardly had two nickels to rub together at the time, and sure enough, someone took the little cash I had and discarded the wallet. Luckily someone found it, as it had my Navy I.D. in it.

I absolutely agree with you regarding : " It amazes me when people who have little are generous with what they have. Now I am waiting for my chance to help someone and pay it forward. Acts of kindness like this change the world and make it a better place to live." I've long subscribed to the 'pay-it-forward' philosophy .
Most people whom live in shitty areas are like this ; they're very friendly and helpful . Unfortunately , it's the small amount of leaches that get all of the attention.

I used to make deliveries to Los Angeles' most infamous areas
( Watts , East L.A. , Compton , Paramount , etc. , etc. ) , and I met the coolest folks in those areas ; business owners , Blue Collar workers , old timers , kids .

I used to make deliveries to Los Angeles' most infamous areas
( Watts , East L.A. , Compton , Paramount , etc. , etc. ) , and I met the coolest folks in those areas ; business owners , Blue Collar workers , old timers , kids .

Infamous? I grew up in Montebello, just east of East L.A. Growing up as a kid we never gave it a second thought. Of course as a teenager we never went there, chose to hang out cruising Bob's Big Boy on Whittier Blvd. and street racing out of York Field in Whittier, or the "Box Factory" in La Mirada, or Diamond Bar before all the homes were built out there.

I was at my buddys gas station when a pick up from accross the took off like a bat out of hell and a chainsaw case came tumbling out of it. I went out and grabbed it before it got run over. I stood on the curb for about 10 minutes waiting for them to return. Opened up the case and inside was a brand new saw. I did the right thing and called the local authorities and told them I had the saw if anyone called looking for it. This guy came over and demanded I give it to him. He didn't say thank you, f$$k you or kiss my a$$. What a dirt bag. I should have just keep my mouth shut. The ungratful bas$$$$

lost my cell some years ago. called it when I got home and the dude that found it sez he'll give it back if I give him $50!!! If it wasn't for my saved contacts list being I have insurance on it I would have told him to go fly a effin' kite.

-
Back