There's a new 1966 Barracuda roaming the streets of Los Angeles

-

ponygrrrl

Reaction score
Hi all,

After years of being a Mopar admirer, I just purchased my very first vintage ride - a dreamy 1966 Plymouth Barracuda (225 slant 6).

Have little to no knowledge when it comes to working on cars but I cannot wait to learn (and thankfully have an old school car fanatic living next door who seems to be very happy to have someone to teach). Hoping to restore this beauty to as close to stock as possible and keep it purring for a long time to come.

Attachments

• cuda.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 257
Welcome to the best Mopar site on the web, nice fish!! Have more pics?

ALLLLL RIGHT!!!!

Aloha and learn to use the search tool...you have a million questions....the same we all had when we first got on this forum or "new" car!!! Congrats!!!!

Sure do!

Drives like there's a tiger in the tank, manual 3 speed (with the weirdest configuration know to man), nicely redone minty green interior that is supposedly stock but that color most certainly had never seen the inside of a barracuda before.

Fender mount indicators were stolen off the car shortly before I purchased it so that's one of the first things I'd like to take care of. Getting the gauges working wouldn't be an awful place to start either.

View attachment photo 1.JPG

View attachment photo 2.JPG

Can I post video to these forums as well?

Welcome from Los Angeles. Maybe I'll see you driving around in it the westside.

Not a whole lot of old Mopars floating around on the West LA. Make sure to bring it to the Fall Fling show on October 20th in Van Nuys at Woodley Park. You'll be able to buy new and used parts for it and network with 1,000's of other Mopar people. Will be an extremely helpful experiance.

I suggest coming up to a Chrysler Performance West car club meeting and checking things out. 2nd Sunday of the Month in Granada Hills near 118 and 405 close to freeway.

Yes you can post videos. Looks like the heater was bypassed at sometime. living in CA...not really needed. Same as here in Hawaii. But I like to get them hooked up...just incase you need to help cool down the engine. More than likely the heater core leaks thats why it was bypassed. Looks like a great car to start with!!!!

Welcome from Los Angeles. Maybe I'll see you driving around in it the westside.

Not a whole lot of old Mopars floating around on the West LA. Make sure to bring it to the Fall Fling show on October 20th in Van Nuys at Woodley Park. You'll be able to buy new and used parts for it and network with 1,000's of other Mopar people. Will be an extremely helpful experiance.

I suggest coming up to a Chrysler Performance West car club meeting and checking things out. 2nd Sunday of the Month in Granada Hills near 118 and 405 close to freeway.
Steve - For sure! I am a westsider myself. Down to check out both the club and Fall Fling.

Also could use a recommendation for a Mopar friendly mechanic on this side of town if you have one.

Welcome aboard. The Slant 6 is a great engine to learn wrenching on. Looks like yours is super simple with no frills (manual steering, no A/C). A factory service manual for your make and model is a great investment. You can buy reprints online fairly cheap or even get a version on CD. Enjoy your car!

Yes you can post videos. Looks like the heater was bypassed at sometime. living in CA...not really needed. Same as here in Hawaii. But I like to get them hooked up...just incase you need to help cool down the engine. More than likely the heater core leaks thats why it was bypassed. Looks like a great car to start with!!!!

I agree.

You don't really used windshield washer either much around here. And the ones on vintage car don't work that great either. I don't think I've ever used mine when my car is in L.A.

Just a good scrubbing of the engine compartment will do wonders too. And it will really help you ID any present and future leaks and make it more pleasant to work on because you don't get so dirty with the existing dirt laying around.

Subcom....great idea!

ponygrrrl- heres a link to the 66 manual...It has saved my butt and answered a ton of questions for my 66. I put it on my ipad and its always handy...a bit greasy sometimes but it wipes off!!

third link down is the 66 plymouth manual.
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Whoa - you are all amazing. Will start reading manual right now (sorry work, priorities). So grateful I stumbled across this forum.

For alignment and suspension work close to you, our family has used Bagge and Son for 50 years. (they've been around much longer!). They understand how to do alignments on older cars.

Bagge is on Washington Blvd just east of Overland across from MGM Studios.

There are other various local places that do good work on older cars, but they're not cheap. Some are more reasonable that others, but depends on what you need done. You'll need to do most of the work yourself or you'll just have too much money stuck in the car.

There are other various local places that do good work on older cars, but they're not cheap. Some are more reasonable that others, but depends on what you need done. You'll need to do most of the work yourself or you'll just have too much money stuck in the car.

I'll take that. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands dirty - wanting to learn how to work on a car and this purchase go hand in hand. The previous owner mentioned that a carburetor rebuild wouldn't hurt, so I'm thinking that will be my first "big" project. I'm very blessed to have such a knowledgeable next door neighbor with a fully stocked garage and plenty of time on his hands. I think he may be almost as excited as I am working on it.

That said, having a pro do a check up and help me create (and prioritize) my wish list is something I'm more than happy to pay for.

Seen that car for sale in Riverside. Nice to see it get a new home. The 1966 Barracuda was my first car so I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

...That said, having a pro do a check up and help me create (and prioritize) my wish list is something I'm more than happy to pay for.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Probably could create the list yourself with your neighbor.

A lot of shops really aren't going to give you a 100% roadmap on all the mechinical things because many need "diagnostic time" to find out what is really bad more than just an "inspection time".

The problem is they are figuring out how not to get paid. They are telling someone else what to fix themselves or take to some other shop. It's like a Catch 22 for them.

Seen that car for sale in Riverside. Nice to see it get a new home. The 1966 Barracuda was my first car so I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

For a second I thought it was one of the 66's you had for sale once.

Welcome from Sc. Super nice Cuda you picked up. Man these early "A"s are really startin to grow on me:D.

Yep, that's the one. Drove it to it's new home in LA on Saturday.

My high school sweetheart had a '71 Demon. I never got over that car.

-
Back