thermo-quad question.

-

spudsterier

Reaction score
is the thermoquad a good carb to use? i have a brand new one sitting in my garage that i was going to use on my 360 valiant project, but i dont know if im going to want to mess with all the adjustments and everything.
i was thinking of just selling it and going with an edelbrock, but im not sure which way would be better to go.
the thermoquad seems to have the model number missing, but it is brand new and supposed to be for 72-74 360's and is an 800 cfm.....is it worth anything to try and sell?

An edelbrock or holley will be more user friendly and easier to tune, but when set up properly thermoquads can be made into screamers...if you know how to tune them. I dont honestly think they are worth that much though. Someone else will have a better idea for price.

The T-Q is in my opinion the best street strip/dual purpose carb you can have. But that is my opinion and others hate it.

I have a couple myself. What is the model number of the carb? It's on the base plate, 4 numbers.

Tate, if you take the time and learn the carb, there really no different than another carb. Adjustments are a critical part of any carb, but the T-Q is a little touchy.

The hardest thing about a T-Q is getting parts for it. Feul bowls were recently discontinued and theres several design mods the factory made to them, so a swap is not so easy.

At thermoquads.com , David (AKA Demonsizzler) has lots of parts for this carb as well as others. Rods and jets are a pain to come by and once in a while, a kit shows up on E-bay.

IMO, there worth the time.

Tate, if you take the time and learn the carb, there really no different than another carb. Adjustments are a critical part of any carb, but the T-Q is a little touchy.

The hardest thing about a T-Q is getting parts for it. Feul bowls were recently discontinued and theres several design mods the factory made to them, so a swap is not so easy.

At thermoquads.com , David (AKA Demonsizzler) has lots of parts for this carb as well as others. Rods and jets are a pain to come by and once in a while, a kit shows up on E-bay.

IMO, there worth the time.

I had a 72 340 T-quad that i sold to a guy with a 68 dart 340. It needed rebuilt and tuned but now that dart is a screamer and loves that T-quad. I was impressed, but i had no idea where to start as far as dialing it in is concerned so i just opted for a holley dp and sold the carter to him. I guess they are like the quadrajets for gm guys, you either love them or hate them. I would love to run one someday just to see how it compares to the holley. I know he gets more power out of that T-quad than he did the AFB comp series and gets a few more mpg out of it too.

There like a high torque carb (LOL) vs a Holley, like all Carters.
Like any other carb, you have to learn it before throwing it in the trash. A good carb to start with would be key. Ha ha ha ha

I love the adjustable secondary door on them and AVS carbs.
Love a DP on my 4spd, that was fun.

If the T.Q. is complete and rebuild-able, it would be a really good choice for your 360. But if you check the part #'s stamped on the driver rear corner of the base plate and top casting #'s, I can outline jetting parameters and other needed mods for you, David.

I agree the TQ is agreat preformance carb.....I love them took a while to learn them and get the tuning kits which are a little scarch but once tuned are great.I have a 6453 on a 340 and it rock 1-1/2 secondaries sound like jets flying....have fun

If you want to sell let me know I would be interested only if we can't talk you into using it.

post some pics could help us please

well i am still really considering using the carb...mostly becuase its the only one i have right now and dont really have the money to get a different one.
the model number seems to be missing, but i dont know if there is another one sumwhere or not.

my main problem is that i have no idea how the linkage is supposed to hook up to this carb.

here are a couple pics.

005-3.jpg

004-5.jpg

002-9.jpg

Spudsterier, I am also currently going the thermoquad route. I had one back in the day on my 74 E58 Duster, and it felt and sounded like all hell was breaking loose when thoes secondaries open up.
I too have heard they can be tricky to tune, but I know sweet F.A. about the holley, so if I have to learn something, it may as well be the TQ

can anyone tell me what all these hose fittings go to?
specifically the small copper one on the left in the black portion?
and does a hose hook up to the spot towards the right...on the front upper portion....where the 3 screws are?

002-9.jpg

This is the wrong carb for you application, it is good for stock engines and a mild cam at best. This emmissions era carb has a EGR port (Brass fitting) and a idle compinsator (SP!) The tube yp front with the 2 screws holding it on. The one with 3 screws (Vacuum port) I'm not to sure about. I'd have to go refresh my mind in a book.

Save the moneys from selling this carb and your earnings for something better. If your stuck on T-Q, contact Demonsizzler @ http://thermoquads.com/ .

im not stuck on thermo-quad by any means....this is just the only carb i had sitting around.....
i have been thinking about going to the junk yard and picking up an edelbrock that i took off of a truck when i got my intake manifold....

so basically, i cant use this carb because its for a car with an EGR?

so if i went with an edelbrock carb instead, got any idea what size i should go with?
only thing i really have done to the 360 is headers

Sounds about right to me. That is what I used on my dead stockers and mild motors.

a friend of mine has a freshly rebuilt holly 750 DP thats he wants $100 for. how well would that carb work?

Very good from stock to wild, tune/jet accordingly. Though a DP can be tuff to launch or floor it and try to accelerate quickly on a low gear ratio (2.76 etc....) and a auto trans. You'll have to slowly get into the secondarys.

Very good from stock to wild, tune/jet accordingly. Though a DP can be tuff to launch or floor it and try to accelerate quickly on a low gear ratio (2.76 etc....) and a auto trans. You'll have to slowly get into the secondarys.

i am in the process of changing the car over to an auto and it has 3.23 gears....but soon im hopeing to throw some 4:10's in it...
i think i will just go with the holly for now, being the friend that has it, said he will also tune it for me when it gets on the car.

That will be an excellent combo. I still don't think you'll be able to mash the gas pedal, but you will get into it alot quicker with 4.10's.

well my goal is to get the car running and driving....then once its done, start changing things....and the first to go is going to be the 3.23
my last project car was a neon...i couldnt smash the gas in that thing either becuase all it would do is spin....so im kinda all ready used to the ease it in part

This is the wrong carb for you application, it is good for stock engines and a mild cam at best. This emmissions era carb has a EGR port (Brass fitting) and a idle compinsator (SP!) The tube yp front with the 2 screws holding it on.

The Thermoquad on my GTX was good enough for 11.27 @ 124 mph

The quad is a good piece, you need to learn how the systems work to effectively tune it.

-
Back