Thermoquad ballast resistor question

-

DartSportDude

Old school A-body owner
Reaction score
Maybe someone here can help me...

I have a rebuilt Thermoquad 4-barrel (original equipment) on my 73 Dart Sport 340. I've been having idling problems on cold mornings (won't achieve high idle and loads up and sputters when you first take off). My garage said the ballast resistor for the choke is shot and needs to be replaced. I've looked high and low for this resistor and no one seems to a carry it.

Anyone here experienced a similar problem? Do you know of any supplier who might sell this ballast resistor?

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. -- I just spoke to a carb shop that said there's no such thing as a ballast resistor for the choke on a TQ; he thinks the problem might be with the choke pull-off. Does this make any sense?

they are prolly talking about the choke heater element (it helps heat up the pull off so it does not run to long) it is the electrical looking thing the pull off plugs into. I'm not sure if you application has one but that would be my best quess.

DartCustom:

Thanks for the feedback. I spoke to a carb guy this morning who said it might be a problem with the choke pull-off? Does that sound right to you, and is this piece related to what you're talking about? I am SO uninformed when it comes to carb issues!

Actually in 73 there was a ceramic connecting block like a ballast resistor mounted on the intake. Current to choke heater goes through it. My 73 318 2 brl has one.

RedFish:

I think you've described the part I need. Do you have an exact name for it? Also, any idea who might sell this thing?

Thanks

Best I could do is suggest dealership parts dept. and maybe I could get a pic for you. My service manual is 1972 and the darn thing aint in it :(
I'd call it a choke resistor when inquiring around. Not sure if thats the name of it but its my understanding that is what it does. Lowers current to the choke so it opens a little slower and drains the battery alot less. These 2 things can help a cold, hard start become a finally started rather than a @#$%^ didn't start. LOL
Y'al correct me if I'm wrong.

RedFish:

My mechanic did some checking around; this darn part is pretty elusive. I'll keep searching. Thanks.

I just looked in my parts book for 74 (its the only book I have infront of me) part # 4049799 looks like it is discontinued by mopar but their are a few dealers around that still have it let me know whare you are and I might be able to tell you a few dealers in your area.

looks like this dealer is your best bet it lists for $21.60 so dont let them scam you

KATHY FOWLER CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE KELSEYVILLE CA USA Phone: (707)-279-4211 / (707)-263-0500 Distance: 2443 mi Inventory update: December 3, 2007 21:40 EST COD: Part Number 1: 04049799 Qty: 2

DartCustom:

Thanks for finding this dealer for me. You've been a lot of help! Question: In your '74 parts book, how does it describe this item? I have not been able to nail down an accurate description for this part.

Thanks again!

They are called Electric Assist Choke Control, NAPA part number, 2-1694, for '73 all carter 2 bbl and 4 bbl and holley 2bbl. Hope it helps. 2 prong round resistor with bracket.

-
Back