Thermoquad........Ok AJ, WHAT NOW?

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

So I have a 1971 318 set up on my run stand with a 6139 Thermoquad.

I rebuilt the carb, and adjusted it. On my stand, it purrs like a kitten at 690 RPM and 20 inches of Vacuum. Carb and engine adjustments are as follows.....

Air mixture screws 2 1/2 turns out
Idle timing 10* BTDC
Idle speed screw out 1.5 turns from throttle valve seated. (shows a little t slot. Looks like 3 turns gives approx .030 exposure)

So, how would I increase idle timing and/or T slot exposure without getting the idle RPM up too high? Thinking about this since the carb will eventually be on my 340 Demon. Worried about tip in sag or anything else that may present itself.

Eventually, this carb will be installed on my 340 for break in, and beyond.

*****AN ASIDE***** Strange, the vacuum nipple closest to the pull-off yields no vacuum, while the one just to the left side of it has vacuum. Both fittings look like they get their vacuum from between the secondaries below the throttle plate, and both passages are clear???? :wtf:

@AJ/FormS
@Bewy
@RustyRatRod

Last edited:
You give no details about the build itself, but the initial timing seems a little low.

You give no details about the build itself, but the initial timing seems a little low.
Agreed. The 318 is stock 235 HP (spec). Just wondering how to manipulate the other adjustments to, lets say, increase the idle timing without getting the idle RPM too high. Or, increasing T-slot exposure if I get a tip in sag without increasing idle RPM. The carb will eventually go on my 9.3 : 1, XE 262, 340.

Agreed. The 318 is stock 235 HP (spec). Just wondering how to manipulate the other adjustments to, lets say, increase the idle timing without getting the idle RPM too high. Or, increasing T-slot exposure if I get a tip in sag without increasing idle RPM. The carb will eventually go on my 9.3 : 1, XE 262, 340.
Just increase the initial timing and then idle it back down.

That was my thought, and what I would have done years ago, but this whole T slot exposure thing has me confused.
Unless there's too much exposure, it's much ado about nothing. Other than that, you're good.

I think you’re over complicating things and you need to bump up that initial a good bit. Reading AJ’s tuning and T slot stuff can be confusing to new guys on tuning carbs. It’s something you’ll need to tinker with a bit.

I have literally that same thermoquad on my 318. 6139s. I have essentially the same problem. In my case upping the initial timing to 16˚ and closing the throttle blades gave me good response and little tip in sag. Problem is, my stock curve distributor has this thing pinging at high rpm. I'm going to try jetting up and see what that does for off idle performance (car is running very lean anyhow).

The T slot adjustment on the TQ is no different than any other carb. Ideally, you want 020 to 040 of slot at idle [ in gear if auto ].
Many of these carbs had bypass air holes in the baseplate [ BP ], near the mixture screws. The holes are drilled such that air enters from the t/bore along a slot in the top of the BP, through the holes & exits under the BP below the t/blades. If insufficient T slot is showing, these holes can be plugged which might be enough to get the desired t slot position, &/or smaller holes drilled.
About 25* of idle timing would be good for your combo.

Lack of vacuum at rear of carb. Looking at the rear of the carb, the nipple closest to the AV dashpot connects to the dashpot & should have manifold vacuum; the nipple closest to the centre of the carb has manifold vacuum.
So, no vac at the AV dashpot nipple? Two possible reasons. Some of these carbs use a brass nipple with a very small orifice, perhaps 0.015". It could be blocked, so poke with some wire.
To get vac on this nipple, the sec blades need to be fully closed at idle. The closed blade seals off a small hole in the BP. If the hole is not properly sealed because of improperly positioned t/blade, you will get no vac at the dashpot nipple.

I have literally that same thermoquad on my 318. 6139s. I have essentially the same problem. In my case upping the initial timing to 16˚ and closing the throttle blades gave me good response and little tip in sag. Problem is, my stock curve distributor has this thing pinging at high rpm. I'm going to try jetting up and see what that does for off idle performance (car is running very lean anyhow).
You need to limit the total mechanical timing and that will take care of the pinging.

Yeah I've just been busy and tired of messing with it. I have seen that people weld the slots in the distributor partially closed. I might try that

Well, Yes, you can set the timing anywhere you want to, with the T-slot exposure anywhere in the 020>040 window as @Bewy already mentioned. So long as;
Rule#1, you don't get a tip-in sag, and
Rule#2, so long as the trans doesn't bang too harshly when shifting from N/P into any gear, especially reverse; I don't care about the clanging sun-shell, rather I care about the sprague, which the clanging shell is telling me she's taking the hit; and if the rpm is already too fast, see rule #3, you can't hardly shift into Manual Low before the sprague gets it. and the U-joints, and the ring-gear, and the axle splines.
Rule#3, so long as the idle-speed does not get to be too high on you.
Rule #4, so long as the engine does not stall/near stall, when going into gear, which usually indicates that the T-slots are dead, cuz the throttles are too far closed.
But here's the main thing;
#1, you cannot expect the engine that you are going to put this TQ onto, to require the same settings as whatever it is currently installed on; and the cammier the new engine is, the more different it will be.
#2, The engine absolutely does not care what the idle timing ends up at. and there is no good way to run an auto-equipped streeter with a TQ at optimum idle timing, which could be in the mid to high 20s; You can try to tune there, but it just requires too many other band-aids, to not break the rules, which is just not necessary. Unless you have a manual trans, there's just no good reason, IMO, to run any more idle-timing than what satisfys the rules.
#3, the first time your engine cares about timing is at stall-rpm, and the second time it cares is at "all-in".
#4, All-in can be at whatever rpm it takes to avoid detonation. If you cannot find a happy spot, and the engine turns into a lazy dog; then take the darn thing apart and fix it.

And the Second thing is this;
Since I know I can tune a 292/292/108 cammed 360 with a manual trans, to idle all day at 5* advance, and it will pull itself at 4>5 mph, with no help from the gas pedal; ....... Since I know that, I see no good reason to try to run big IDLE-advance numbers.
You just have to fix your doggone distributor to have the right timing numbers, at stall and at WOT-Power, to satisfy your particular engine. It's just not that hard. Then let the idle-timing be whatever it will be to satisfy the rules.

For a streeter with iron heads and no quench, this usually requires a two-step ignition curve; the first goes from idle to stall, and the second from stall to whatever rpm is free from detonation at WOT.
For instance; I have a manual trans so I may have a lil more freedom. My curve goes from initial timing of 12*at Idle, to end of first step at 28*@2800, and from there "all-in" is not until about 3400, which is 32>34*.
This lets me run 87E10 full time with the Dcr approaching 9.0 to 9.3. @ 930 ft elevation here in Manitoba.
Yeah I could run other curves, and more Power-timing but why? The speed limit here is 65 mph, and the 367 boils the tires all the way as it is, what would I gain from 5 hp more at 5200rpm?
If your engine can't take the usual 36* at 3400, then don't try force it on her. If it takes to 4000, and only accepts 32* or whatever; then so be it. Give her only what she wants, when she wants it.
And then, like I said, if the engine is a lazy-dog, it's probably got a chamber mixture issue, or a chamber temperature issue, which you are most likely gonna have to take apart to fix.

Edit
>If the throttle at idle becomes too far closed; As it will with too much idle-timing;
1) Starting a warmed up engine will become more difficult; and
2) the engine will not properly recover, after the throttle is stabbed and released; the rpm falling too low, and
3) with a typical stall convertor, it will want to stall when put into gear, and
4) the car will drop the nose and decelerate too hard on a closed-throttle downshift. The transfers will dry up, and then, when you get back on the gas, nobodyhome.

>If the throttle is too far open at idle, as it would be with a big cam and no idle-air bypass;
1) the engine will hang after the throttle is stabbed and released, the rpm coming down slowly, and
2) the exhaust will stink at idle, sometimes enough to burn your eyes.

> you can control your idle power with timing. Lots of timing, means the throttles will be nearly closed, thus the transfers will be lean, and in compensation, you will increase fuel delivery from the mixture screws. Now it idles.
But this usually causes two problems, maybe three.
a) it may introduce the tip-in sag, and
b) your low-speed AFR, is now full-time rich, cuz of where you set the mixture screws, and
c) the engine will want to stall when put into gear, for lack of air/airspeed from the nearly closed throttles, and lack of transfer-slot fuel.

> your engine will be way happier if you set the transfer slot exposure, even a hair rich, and leaning the mixture screws as may be necessary, and then controlling the Idle-speed with idle-timing.
> you can set the timing first and try to tune on that, but man you are gonna waste time.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with some of AJs comments. A 292* cam in a 360 is going to want a LOT more timing at idle than 5* for best idle quality, highest vacuum.....& coolest running.
You don't see engine cooling mentioned much with idle timing. The FACT is that when the engine has the correct idle timing it runs cooler because the engine is more efficient & does less work. Less work means cooler running. Why is cooler important? Because the instant you step on the gas, is when the engine gets loaded.... detonation territory; with the engine being cooler, you reduce the chances of detonation.

I could never understand why DCR is referred to. It is a calculated number, from the intake valve closing event &....quite meaningless. It is supposed to, somehow, refer to the amount of air trapped in the cyl. It should be obvious that the aggressiveness of the cam lobes, port flow, max valve lift, intake manifold flow etc will all impact the amount of air the cyl ingests; yet none of these inputs are factored into the DCR calc.

See below for best idle timing example.

img284.jpg

The T slot. Above the idle mixture screw holes, where the holes exit in the t/bore. The slot is usually just above those holes. A rectangular slot, varies depending on carb but often 0.025 to 0.035" wide & 3/16" to 1/4" in height. They are part of the idle cct.

With the engine idling at the desired idle speed, ideally you want 0.020-0.040" of slot exposed below the blades. This is what is meant by 'T slot exposure', the amount below the blades.

More or less than this can cause flat spots, rich idle etc.

Hope this explains it.

T slot = Transfer slot.

@Bewy Your in box is full.

The best I guess is the dynamic ratio is another way to calculate what fuel will work best under running conditions. I don’t find any use in it. Over the years or fooling around with engines and various static compression ratios and cam sizes, I can figure out in my head what will work or not. The cam companies and a few publications have covered this matching of ratio and cam duration as well as other factors over the years that the work was already done for you by people way way crazy smarter.

Last edited:
If your mixture screws aren’t working, that’s a problem!
LOL!

Since I know I can tune a 292/292/108 cammed 360 with a manual trans, to idle all day at 5* advance, and it will pull itself at 4>5 mph, with no help from the gas pedal; ....... Since I know that, I see no good reason to try to run big IDLE-advance numbers.
end paragraph
To be clear
And to no one in particular
RExcept to OP

I didn't say that I ran my hotrod at 5* of Idle-Timing.
What I said was;
" I can tune ......... to idle all day at 5* advance, and it will pull itself at 4>5 mph, with no help from the gas pedal"
and the point was?
"Since I know that, I see no good reason to try to run big IDLE-advance numbers."
END OF PARAGRAPH

Not once did I preach to run 5*. Nor eve that I typically ran my 292 equipped HO 367 at 5* advance. It was a statement of personal knowledge, attesting to what can be done when the Transfer-slot to mixture screw adjustment, is well-ballanced.
This knowledge was necessary because so many of the Forum members come forward and either recommend and/or even DEMAND, ridiculously large amounts of Idle-timing, because, I suppose, those who do so, do not know how to properly set up a distributor.......... would be my guess.
Butum, Hey, I went thru that phase also. But with a manual trans, I soon learned the fallacy of that thinking.
>> A manual trans street-car, with a big cam, IMO, should have a two-step timing curve, with the step placed somewhere between 2200 and 2800, depending on the combo; the weeaker the starter gear, the closer to 2800. the deeper the starter gear, the earlier it can come in.
The Power-timing amount depends on chamber efficiency; and,
when it can be all-in will depend on the chamber/fuel combo's ability to resist detonation. When you find that number, that is your semi-permanent target and all other mods to the distributor, have to end right there.
I get it.
So with a short straight race-car timing curve that everyone is so hell-bent on running, you gotta start high to get there. But a street-car is not a race car. A race car cares about timing just once, namely WOT;, But a street-car spends most of it's life between stall and say 3500, the zone where timing is much more important; get it wrong and you end up with an engine somewhere between being detonating pos that requires best gas, or is a stinking lazy dog with bad manners.
>>The only change that I see relevant, when applying this knowledge to an auto equipped street-car, is when the switch happens, which can be at or near stall.
The thing is, a street-car manual trans or not, also spends a significant amount of time, cruising at some steady rpms both above and below the stall, where it's gonna need close to or more than double the amount of timing, that the Power-Timing curve can supply. So then, you are gonna have to marry the Vcan timing to the Power-timing, in order to get some decent mpgs, cool running, and a civilized personality. This almost invariably means modding the can to max the timing at 22>24 degrees. aaaaaand when you add that to the power-timing at a stall of say 2200, on a straight timing curve that begins at 18*@1000rpm, pow! you are likely to get detonation everytime you roll into the throttle.
On a straight curve that begins at 18*@1000, and ends at 36*@3000,
that is 18* over 2000rpm,
which is 9/10th degree per 100 rpm.
Therefore, at a 2200 stall, the curve will bring 10.8* to the 18*, thus a total of ~29*, Whereas, the engine might be wanting 51* for best fuel economy.
Which is 51 less 29= 22* in the can. which could/might be fine ........ until you speed up. At 2600 the Power-timing with this straight curve will bring an additional 3.6degrees to an engine that is not wanting it and may in fact be wanting less than 51! So maybe it goes into a low-level detonation, mile after mile after mile. <I SAID MAYBE>
You don't notice the loss of power, cuz the throttle is so little open....... until you need to gas up and you see that your mpgs took a dump, related to the somewhat larger than necessary throttle opening. The way I caught that, was with a dash-mounted vacuum gauge and a dash-mounted timing retard box.
So the result of all that, was a new two-stage timing curve, and marrying the vcan to the new curve, at the highest rpm that I was likely to cruise at, and living with the the timing shortfall at lower rpm cruising.
For a stick-car, with an overdrive, this has other advantages, namely, I have lemmee see, oh yeah FIVE different cruising speeds all at the same rpm, just in different gears.
In my combo for instance; 2240 rpm is; mph of
16/26/36/51/65 in overdrive. Whereas, Speed limits up here are;
..........35/50/62/68 on the TransCanada Hiway.
So as you can see, I always have a peak efficiency cruiser gear. aaaaaand cruising is IDK some 90 percent of my day to day driving.
So what do I care if my PowerTiming is short 2 or 3 degrees, my hi-pressure 360 already has a preponderance of torque and power, and the only time I could use more with 3.55 gears, if the tires ever quit spinning, is at 60 mph= 5100 in Second gear; which is an easy pull with an overall torque-multiplication ratio of 6.82
To me, having the Cruise-timing set up exactly right, means I can blow some cash on gas for when I actually slam my foot down.

Streeters, IMO, need to think NOT AT ALL ABOUT quarter mile stuff, and concentrate on how they actually operate their vehicles. When I finally caved in to that, is when my car finally started being fun.
Listen, I tried to set up my car for dual purpose, and can attest that set up like that, it cannot do both with with any degree of satisfaction. Not as a quarter-miler at least. Unless maybe you got a chitload more money that most of us do.
The first thing I ditched was the 292 cam.
The second thing I did was get an overdriveA833.
The Third thing I did was install a GVod behind that, which when used as a splitter, got me a solid seven close-ratio gears.
But I found out real quick that Seven gears on the street was TWO TOO MANY, even with 4.88/4.30 gears. so
The Fourth thing I did was ditch the A833od box, and swapped in a Commando Deep-Low box still with the GVod behind it. And
Then, I went back to 3.55 gears, which with the 3.09 low gear, is plenty enough starter gear.
The one common thread among my engine iterations was keeping the cylinder pressure always nearly the same. and yes, I really did deck the block three times in five years.

BTW
Idling around the parking lot with a starter gear of 10.97, at 5* advance produces rpm of 550, and speed of 4.0 mph. If a cooling system has trouble with that, it needs to re-engineered. That was with the 292 cam.
My current cam is 18* smaller at 050, and will perform the same trick at 500rpm ............ which maths to ~3.7mph. If I need to drive slower, I retard the timing some more with my dash-mounted timing-retard box; the T-slot sync does not change.
You wanna experience something cool? Driving up the ramp at the local Hamburger Joint, which would stall the engine at 5* advance, I just reach over and start cranking in more advance, as she chugs up the hill, lol.
You gotta get one of those, not for just a tuning tool, but also for the fun of playing with it. My combo actually likes up to 60 degrees of cruise-timing under certain circumstances. This number cannot easily be reached with the standard Mopar-type distributor. One would have to cruise at the lowest cruise rpm that will get you max Power-Timing of say 36*, and get 24* out out of your Vcan, and still be able to generate enough vacuum to pull it all in. .................. and then, you still gotta be able to drive it at other rpms and load settings .............................

OMLORD!!!!

So much babble, so little information.

AJ, I wouldn’t worry about the 5* timing comment so much and I wouldn’t have wrote a book defending and then glorifying yourself and tuning skills.

Such a waste of time on your behalf.

Rumble,
I know my inbox is full. I have tried to empty it, no luck. Had my son in-law, a computer wizard take a look, he couldn't work it out either. Any ideas?

AJ,
You talk about 'ridiculously large amounts of idle timing' in post # 20. What specific number [ 10, 20...50? ] is ridiculously large????? Would 20* be in that category?

Many GM cars, stock from the factory, with tiny cams of less than 200* @ 050 duration idled at 24-26* of idle timing. My GTO idled with 26*, 6* initial [ static ] with 20* added via MVA. Chrys didn't take advantage of MVA....& missed the bus.

The correct/best idle timing for any engine is what delivers the smoothest/highest vacuum. That is going to depend on CR, cam specs, etc

Rumble,
I know my inbox is full. I have tried to empty it, no luck. Had my son in-law, a computer wizard take a look, he couldn't work it out either. Any ideas?
Click open your PM box, see all the messages or just one.
If you’re viewing just one, the upper right hand corner are several dots (3 I think) click it opening up a list of what you can do with the message. Click leave. Another window will open up asking if you still want to receive messages. Click what ever, the message will go away.

-
Back