Thermoquad........Ok AJ, WHAT NOW?

-
In the header banner, where it says Home, Forums, What’s New, keep going right. You’ll see 3 symbols, an envelope, the PM icon, a bell, that’s alerts for new posts, a circle with a tail like the capitol letter “Q”, a magnifying glass I’d say, that’s the search symbol. Go to the envelope icon, that’s your PM box icon.

OMLORD!!!!

So much babble, so little information.

AJ, I wouldn’t worry about the 5* timing comment so much and I wouldn’t have wrote a book defending and then glorifying yourself and tuning skills.

Such a waste of time on your behalf.
Yeah, he thinks a whole bunch of hisself, don't he?

AJ is a smart guy, but writing long dissertations turns people...off. It is like getting home from work. You get two letters in the mail. You open the first one; it has only three lines & notifies you your stock price has gone up. Great news!
You open the other letter, which is 8 pages from your insurance company. Your first thought is....do I really have to read all this.....

*****AN ASIDE***** Strange, the vacuum nipple closest to the pull-off yields no vacuum, while the one just to the left side of it has vacuum. Both fittings look like they get their vacuum from between the secondaries below the throttle plate, and both passages are clear???? :wtf:
Whoever was in this carb last used a bowl/body gasket from a larger primary model. The gasket failed, leaking vacuum above the throttle plate of the primary.

Yeah, he thinks a whole bunch of hisself, don't he?
He’s trying to help. I do think he has a good working head and is a good guy. Due to the responses, repetitive stories, I believe his mind set is his way is the only way and no one else around him has any worth. Or he is alone in the world building his stuff.
AJ is a smart guy, but writing long dissertations turns people...off. It is like getting home from work. You get two letters in the mail. You open the first one; it has only three lines & notifies you your stock price has gone up. Great news!
You open the other letter, which is 8 pages from your insurance company. Your first thought is....do I really have to read all this.....
I agree. I think AJ is a good guy and has a good brain in his head.
That long drawn out reply status that is (IMO) overfilled with numbers (and not accurate) is something I have told him so and rode him on. I kept telling him to put it in a nut shell.

Did your inbox clear after all of that mess?

AJ has vast knowledge, he's helped me get my head around some issues that gained us a few tenths.
Long winded sure, but other "Oracles" here can put him to shame.

I'm usually brief, I like to plant a seed/idea, those that know what I'm saying nod and smile, others think about it, and "get it", then smile, others that don't understand have "it" explained by someone more knowledgeable, and likes to type.

I'm often silent till something goes right off the rails . That's when I get long winded.

Thanks AJ, - and all . . .

Last edited:
Power Piston Adjustment...............

I understand that this can be dialed in according to the engine it is to be installed on.

As far as stock.........Once I find the point where additional turns of the adjusting screw causes the piston to rise, do I tun it 1.5 turns clockwise (richen) or 1.5 turns CCW (lean)? I suspect that it is CCW since CW would begin to raise the metering rods (richen) immediately with even the slightest accelerator application.

Am I correct?

You turn it 1.5 turns clockwise from the bottomed out position to slightly raise the rods. Any additional counter clockwise turns from bottomed out will not move the metering rods because the screw is not longer contacting anything.

You turn it 1.5 turns clockwise from the bottomed out position to slightly raise the rods. Any additional counter clockwise turns from bottomed out will not move the metering rods because the screw is not longer contacting anything.
Agreed.......But it would also allow a small amount of throttle movement before the metering system started working. My thoughts.........As the throttle is pressed slowly, the small amount of throttle (without metering rod movement) would allow the Transfer slots to do there job (for a proper A/F mixture) before the metering system kicked in. Curious how the (just off idle) mixture is affected with the rods lifted from the jets this early in acceleration.

Thank-You for replying. I'm not arguing, just thinking out loud, trying to wrap my head around it.

These are good points. I just figured that you wanted the piston to be contacting the base of the step up cam at idle. Maybe in some cases not. Seems like it was designed with immediate movement of the metering rods in mind though

What Remy said in post #34 is correct. The whole met rod system is designed to work off those measurements. The cruise step on the rod is quite long, & that is the section that is in the main jet at idle when you go to step on the gas....

But it would also allow a small amount of throttle movement before the metering system started working.
I just realized that this is actually incorrect. It assumes that the metering rods have a conical shape which they do not. Adjusting the rods in the way you describe would not change off idle performance at all because it would affect fuel flow at very low throttle openings since the same section of the metering rod will be in the jet. All that turning the screw counterclockwise would do is cause the transitions between steps to occur at greater throttle openings than they otherwise would.

All that turning the screw counterclockwise would do is cause the transitions between steps to occur at greater throttle openings than they otherwise would.
That is where I was getting hung up.....Since there is an accelerator pump and transfer slots, I thought this may be desirable (having the transitions occur at greater throttle openings) to eliminate an over-rich condition during low speed acceleration.

LOL......I'll understand these things yet!

Thank for the input folks :thumbsup:

Sure, but an over-rich condition is exactly the opposite of what has happened in my experience with PRECISELY your same carb (6139s) and engine. Who knows maybe the world isn't consistent

Rumble,
I know my inbox is full. I have tried to empty it, no luck. Had my son in-law, a computer wizard take a look, he couldn't work it out either. Any ideas?
@ a moderator, id suggest

-
Back